How’s the culinary scene in your city, Veeky Forums? Flyovers need not reply

How’s the culinary scene in your city, Veeky Forums? Flyovers need not reply.

Attached: 1CD53C40-E585-4EFC-8FC3-FC92EBD75A45.jpg (834x625, 88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

slice.seriouseats.com/2010/03/where-to-get-99-cent-slices-2-bros-dollar-pizza-in-nyc-with-map.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fuck off with your snob bullshit thread

very very chef forward.

>t. Flyover

t. some metrosexual who prances around dressed like Dr. Franken-Furter and votes for Bernie

I live in a resort town in florida that recently really made it onto the map

no less than 5 years ago we had a really strong culinary scene, specifically cuban and mexican food.
then all the midwestern flyover fucks started swarming the place.
Of course, they hate anything that's not a well-done cheesy potato, so suddenly shit like Outbacks, Culver's, and Red Lobster started cropping up like weeds.

All of our little restaurants were driven out of business, and have been replaced with midwestern flyover cancer

>being this mad

It's okay, Cletus. I'm sure Applees and Olive Garden are great restaurants...

Attached: 1520545822511.jpg (479x317, 23K)

chicago here, do we count as flyovers?

new orleans here, pretty badass

>implying Minneapolis doesn't have a great scene

Montreal here. Pretty fucking good. You can find delicious foods of all kinds between fast food and fine dining. Highly recommended for you bros to come and try for yourself.

Attached: 1507160855810.jpg (480x480, 28K)

My impression of donignin Amsterdam, and in the Netherlands in general really, is that there's overly priced arsty bullshit, there a crapton of at most average food places, and then you really need to research and look for places where you get legit good food and service
And I don't mean steaks or whatever, I mean places where the food is made with good ingredients, it's fresh, the plates are warm, and the presentation is nice but not the focus
In either case, eating out is expensive enough to not be worth the risk and hassle, so usually I end up in simpler places. I think it's ridiculous to pay 40+ Euros per person for a meal

Seattle here. apparently it's good?

San Diego. Pretty mediocre, but there's some good stuff here and there. Apparently Tijuana has some good eats, but I don't really want to go there.

It was pretty good when I lived there.

Detroit's pretty solid. Wide variety of cuisines. Good quality restaurants at a wide range of prices.

Florida here. Gaspers Grotto in Ibor is legit the best Cuban I've ever had. If you make it to tampa...order that. But Miami has some good shit too...it's actually all bretty good.

Attached: 20170811_232126.jpg (721x961, 66K)

Chicago is the definition of a flyover. More places flyover Chicago than any other city. All you have going for you is that you are the layover capital of the world - no one legitimately enjoys being in Chicago.
>overrun by niggers and racemixers
Your city will burn to the ground within your lifetime and not you or your flyover food scene will be missed

Attached: 9BF09102-9124-4767-BD7A-63A874B0B83F.jpg (900x1200, 417K)

Philadelphia. It's on it's way up.

Pretty good, but I'm too autistic to dine alone at a restaurant. I don't even dare to dine alone at McDonalds.

>waaaaaaaa muh big bad evil capitalism hurt my feefees
kill yourself, leech. your shitty tiny stalls ran by jose and castro clearly weren't good if they went out of business THAT'S HOW A FREE MARKET WORKS

Sucks, but it thinks it's a "culinary destination", which is reflective of the snobby, superficially cultured attitude here. The best restaurant is the local bagel chain. Went to what was supposedly the best in town, paid just under $100 for myself and was served heavily salted mediocre food and squash ravioli that had almost certainly been microwaved. The town is now obsessed with tapas type places where you order small plates and share which I hate. Just give me a fucking plate I don't need an experience. Though I will admit we have some of the best coffeeshops in the country. I just wish people could give decent reviews, everyone just sees charming decor or a historic building and assumes the food is amazing especially if the price is high.

Paris. Not gonna complain, although gentrified areas are shit.

Chinatown has some pretty authentic good pho and other shit. Some decent vegan places. A few good eyetie sandwich places

What part of
>flyovers need not reply
Did you not understand

I mean I know it's asking a bit much to assume a flyover can read but you managed to slither your way on here regardless

Ottawa?

Düsseldorf, Germany. Great medium sized city with many restaurants ranging from comfy German cuisine to Michelin starred ones.

I live in Porland maine. So its rather big for a 60k city. Lots of high end places and lots of bars, and lots of hipster places.

Is seafood cheaper? Do you have a favorite lobster roll spot?

i live in a major city a couple hours outside of toronto
it's bad. i've been to like three restaurants with a semblance of quality. lots of shoddy pizza shops and a couple solid fusion places. there's a 'hasn't-left-the-80's' higher end fine dining restaurant here but i haven't taken that plunge yet
i wish i was in montreal or ottawa

I work on a lobster boat in the summer so I just my seafood from other fishermen. But it can be cheap if you avoid the tourist spots. I had a great lobster roll at Boones last year.

Attached: MIP AERIAL MOUNT WASHINGTON AND PORTLAND ME-3490-L.jpg (800x534, 251K)

What do you think of the duck fat restaurant? Also, lobsters are overrated, you faggot.

>DCfag

Duckfats great. The foods good, the portions are big for the sort of restaurant it is. Go there a few times a year at least. Getting the fries when you go is almost mandatory

Baltimore here. Anything besides American-style tavern food is trash compared to other cities I've visited.

Houston.
Prolly the best cuisine on the planet.
The craft breweries here all suck

I live in Denmark, Scandinavia. Some small city an hours drive from the capitol. We got this genuine Italian pizzaria that has like 7 or 8 Italians working there, and they do their shit well. World class durum bread and pizzas. Food of the highest grade of flavor. Got the usual 10 kebab stalls and pizzarias maintained by kebabs, but only one of them is standarized to my approvement. Got one booming paki restaurant making everything with curmin in it, and it's kinda good, too. Got some better-than usual sushi places and crappy sushi places, like 3 chinese restaurants, where one of them is good, and a handful of novices making things like thai or typical fast food stuff I only tried once or never would.

We are blessed with that italian, I dare say. The only thing I otherwise would grab is a well made falaffel pita or all-you can stuff sandwitch. Very rarely some tuna sushi, because the running sushi deals mostly is filled with crab or cucumber slices.. only like 50.000 residents and a lot of old people. There really is a lot of restaurants here, so we're probably pretty wealthy here, but it always amazes me what kind of flavor the guys who do everything by themselves can squeeze out.

England's asshole. Pub grub and shitty pizza/chippies aplenty. Decent Indian, terrible Chinese. Truly good, refined options? 3. One Mexican, two Greek -- one of which has hundreds of Tripadvisor reviews and not one negative; absolutely worth the 5/5. That aside? Nando's is as good as it gets.

Most midwestern cities have really strong food scenes, especially further north. Or by flyover do you just mean the tiny population living in the great plains and the west where no where near a real city?

>and votes for bernie

You just sound retarded for thinking that that’s some kind of insult.

sucks to be LA, SF, NYC, Boston, where your food scene will die because there will be no cooks in your cities. nobody who works in a kitchen can afford $2000/mo rent. i'm sure the same goes for Vancouver, Toronto and Quebec.

Surely Culvers driving out your shitty southern chain fast food place is a net win

>Toronto
Literally memes. The minute a restaurant sparks a food trend somewhere else, someone here tries to reproduce it. All the trendy places are very flash-in-the-pan, popular one summer and no one cares the next

Ottawa would never make this list

Voting for populists that support objectively bad economic policy to win votes like Bernie and Trump is always a bad thing
Trump/Bernie supporters are incredibly regressive people that long for the days of mercantilism protectionism

I live in New Orleans, the food is like one of 2 good things we have

when you mention detroit, you have to include the surrounding neighborhoods, just because they're so easily driveable. Mabel Grey, for example, is one of the best restaurants in the area, albeit just outside of detroit. ferndale and dearborn also have some very good restaurants, with the latter obviously being more ethnic. detroit has far greater potential as a food city, if only for the fact of the abundance of real estate. with buildings being unoccupied, it's much easier for a new owner to do reconstruction without disturbing the surrounding area, which is next to impossible in cities like NYC and Chicago. also, the city has a large open farmer's market, with all the supporting businesses (including restaurants), which operates even in the dead of winter.

also, our pizza is probably better than yours.

Attached: cloverleaf detroit.jpg (640x427, 80K)

those big chain restaurants are now in turn getting ass-blasted by the same free market. by constantly churning out shit product, they could not grow a customer base beyond what they already had. increases in prices/degradation in quality has essentially tanked their business model.

i.e. BWW being bought up by Arby's, only a few years after their stocks were selling for nearly $200 a share.

how's atlanta

Because millennials hate chain restaurants (for good reason)I've never understood why old people like fucking Olive Garden so much. Millenials eat out more than any previous generation and baby boomer chain restaurants still can't manage to make money
>increases in prices/degradation in quality
Has this actually happened? These chains are just mediocre, always have been, they are still cheap but younger people prefer to spend more on good food, or go to a fast casual chain if they want cheap

i feed off this shit

it comes with the rising costs of food. the only options are to either increase prices, or maintain them with a loss in food quality. blame the baby boomers, they're the ones who keep floating these shitty chains and foods that should really be left to the annals of food history.

It is
Kentucky - the scene is lazy as fuck when it isn't obese as fuck

Our food scene is fantastic, especially in light of the city's size and relative remoteness.

>pic related: our most iconic food

Attached: dsc03452.jpg (1732x1155, 991K)

I mean costs have risen with inflation, but the problems the boomer chains are having isn't because of them being too expensive, its just that millenials are ok with paying more for better food, or even less for similar quality food much more conveniently at fast casual places, the niche for mediocre chains is dissipating as old people die. Not to mention millenials really like the idea of supporting local things at higher costs

Vancouver. Sushi as good if not better than Japan. Authentic Chinese food. Great fresh local seafood like spot prawns and halibut.

Its Good. We have 3 Michelin restaurants, famously high quality falafel, and a slew of ethnic foodkino

I live in a small religious university town and the entire population is idiot evangelists, so the food isn't great. There is a "chain" of mexican-american Mexican food which is bland and overcooked but these idiots think it's great. There is one other Mexican restaurant which is also the only Mexican grocery store in town and they make wonderful food, and always friendly. It looks run down, though.
There is one Vietnamese restaurant which is fucking banging but the chef/owner is a stingy pig and the cuts of meat are tiny.

Downtown, there are 2 upscale restaurants which are overpriced and bad. A couple mid-priced restaurant/bars that serve fresh seafood and have outdoor seating. One pub. One "nightclub." A few food trucks. Two vegan restaurants, surprisingly. A very nice coffee shop that does short order brunch, all day. A couple upscale Chinese restaurants, a couple gross chinese takeaway, one hibachi takeaway place, one horrible, disgusting Chinese/Japanese buffet.

The downtown restaurants do the best. Restaurants here purchase and serve fresh, local ingredients (beef, chicken, eggs, pork, fresh veg when in season from the farmer's market.)

Living in a small town has its perks. I really miss decent Chinese food or hot pot.

Is Austin, TX flyover? There's a lot of variety here but also a lot of faggotry and meme shit like poke bowls and how everybody sucks Aaron Franklin's dick over his fagshit bbq. Also, service generally sucks ass because everyone is too cool to be a good server. The upside is that you can get almost anything you could want and there are likely at least 2-3 different places you can find it. Good grocery stores too (based HEB)

Attached: FB_IMG_1487866827014.jpg (808x808, 127K)

yes, everything besides LA/SF and NY/Boston is flyover, and even the suburban areas of those cities are flyover

is that a motherfucking pupusa?

looks like a green onion pancake with chili sauce, probably Korean

I live in Chicago. Chicago is host to the James Beard Awards for a reason. We are a culinary powerhouse that rivals NYC and Sam Francisco.

Chicago has a lot of really great food at all prove levels. Of course it has a lot of shit food to, but so does every city.

How can you both be anti-flyover and anti-racemixing or whatever. Non-flyover cities are marked most notably by their lack of white people in the city and surrounding areas, while flyover cities are small poor areas of minorities surrounded on all sides by massive regions of almost entirely white people

It's a green onion cake

Liverpool?

They’ll probably all starve. Or maybe you could learn about economics and think through your statement, you silly boy.

Providence, RI. Not bad, we're coming up, it might help that there's a culinary school right here.

3rd world

t. bostonite

Nobody cares about you pseudo-Irish idiots.

no one cares about anyone, pretty much every city is the same fucking thing with only super minor differences

Manhattan.
All over the place, really. Lots of stuff coming and going so it can be frustrating when you find a place in a convenient location with good food and prices, it's a likelihood that it'll either close shop or move to a less convenient neighborhood within a year or two.
The old established and fine dining places are usually worth it and reliably excellent even if the prices inflate to silly amounts.
Street food is alright if you're bored, drunk, or in a time crunch, but I otherwise don't really eat that stuff much.
As for my neighborhood, it's pretty mediocre when you compare it with the rest of the borough. Sometimes it sucks having to get on the subway for better options when guests visit.
Delivery game is on point, though.

Lynchburg?

>Has never been outside of his mother basement

Basement living is basically exclusive to coasty thanks to the insane cost of living

new orleans is dope

Philadelphia's restaurant scene has been growing in recent years. We've always had a decent scene, but we pushed the cheesesteak shit so long that that was the only thing we were ever noted for. We've finally put on our pokerface and have been building shit up to compete in the big leagues. I think a lot of the struggle has been because we're only 2 hours south of New York City so of course culinary big-wigs are going to flock there over here. We've been playing our cards right though and more people are beginning to view us as a serious contender for good eats.

Worse, lad. Way, way worse.

Brussels is pretty good, has been getting better at least. Local cuisine is ok with brasseries/restaurants serving local food, better than Belgium's germanic neighbors anyway, and then there's the beers and chocolate/pastries. There's also the fries which are the best in the world really, served in kiosks/vans.Since the city is multi-culti as fuck you can find a lot of different cuisines from mongolian to ethiopian. Notable lack of real mexican food though(there's a shit tier texmex place). Like the rest of western european capitals you have kebabs everywhere, lebanese ones are the best imo, a lot of mostly mediocre chinese take out places, indian, greek, jap, thai and spanish are also relatively common. Of course there's a ton of italian too from cheap pizza places to real ristorantes, a lot of french too. The foodtruck scene is undevelopped, though the city has a couple, usually thai/taco/burgers but some outliers too like an insect foodtruck or african food. Some northern sea seafood but usually expensive.
As for the high end, there's like 4 two stars and 20 one star restaurants, some concept places, a tram dining experience.
Good wine from all over europe too.

All in all i've had worse so I can't complain.

Too bad the high crime chases away everyone from that available real estate
T. Former resident Detroit of 13 years

Wow, yes.

Large number of authentic Mexican places ranging from mom and pop shops to people selling homemade tamales out of pickup trucks on the side of the road. Tons of hipster food trucks of all varieties, and a good mix of high end, refined cuisine. Overall, a really nice quantity and variety of top quality food for such a small city.

Ottawa has a sizable Vietnamese population and dozens of excellent Pho joints. A local vegan restaurant just took home a golden plate award and we have 2 excellent Italian sandwich places. The combination of those things made me think Ottawa.

Anyhow, i grew up in Toronto, lived 10 years in Montreal and moved to Ottawa about 6 years. The food scene is nowhere near as good as the aforementioned places, but it has improved vastly since i've been here.

Ottawa's food scene is absolute dogshit. There's like one place I go to regularly and thats because its cheap and decent. I haven't eaten out at one single place where I've really thought the food was excellent.

I moved here from Toronto two years ago; my honest opinion is the food in Toronto generally tasted twice as good and was half the price. Here, the food is pretty bad and stupid expensive. Also people here are entitled as fuck, every one asks you for a tip when you get take out. Even the seedy shawarma joints and fucking dominos. What, the $15 hr minimum wage hike wasn't enough?

Fuck Ottawa.

Attached: kermitno.jpg (583x583, 33K)

I'm Manhattanfag from earlier in the thread, and I've really enjoyed eating in Chicago whenever I've been. Grew up and went to school in the midwest and Chicago was always a breath of fresh air at the time when it came to interesting places to eat. Nowadays lots of cool little places are popping up in smaller cities though, and that's pretty neat. I understand that a lot of the flyover vs. coastie meme is just that, a meme. I even like your hotdogs and pizza on occasion, though I'm partial to NY style.

Canadians tip on takeout? Why would anyone ever do that?

New York style pizza is just regular ass pizza and available in ever city, usually with better quality and lower prices than New York

>Why would anyone ever do that?
Restaurants just started asking for it. Tipping culture is cancer.

ok

Attached: 1512422250096.gif (343x251, 977K)

My nig what neighborhood you in? Beewerytown here

Out of curiosity what is the one place you go to regularly that you find cheap and decent?

I kind of lied when I said it was cheap... its not really cheap compared to Toronto, but its not terribly priced either. I regularly go to Shaans Curry House

Shaan's is alright i guess, not my favorite Indian in the city. I like Golden, Brampton and Host.

On Merivale, have you tried a sandwich from Nicastro's? 6 bucks tax in for a very nice italian sandwich if you're looking for something cheap and delicious. Merivale Noodle House has top tier Pho in my opinion. LA Noodle also on Merivale which opened a few months is ago is pretty good chinese beef noodle soup with handmade noodles and shit.

Have you tried any of the higher end options like Whalesbone, Fauna, Beckta, Atelier, Riveria?

The real question, where's the best shawarma in the city?

slice.seriouseats.com/2010/03/where-to-get-99-cent-slices-2-bros-dollar-pizza-in-nyc-with-map.html

I really hope you're not suggesting dollar slice pizza is acceptable anywhere, NYC or not

every city on the coasts I've been to has had god awful plastic food, most of it derivative too

>dollar slice
c'mon man...
the only place I know in Manhattan that has a good slice for less than a metro swipe is Patsy's in East Harlem. It's 1.75$

>The real question, where's the best shawarma in the city?
Its honestly all the same desu. Shawarma Palace, Garlic and Onion and Ottawa Shawarma on Greenbank is where I go when I want some but I usually feel bad after eating it

Merivale Noodle House is good, have not tried Nicastros I will try it. I used to go to Frank's on Greenbank for Sandwiches all the time but they bumped up the price after the min wage hike so I go there less often.

I don't go to high end places, so I can't comment. I like takeout style food a lot more. I really miss places like Tangerine and Fredericks in the GTA. I miss being able to get a massive Indian plate for under $10 (I'm surprised you mentioned Brampton, that place isn't bad but it isn't particularly good either) or getting mexican (there's virtually no mexican take out here, even fucking taco bell is garbage here) or thai or chinese or malaysian food... man.

I know I sound like an asshole but that 'twice as good and half the price' thing really is true. I guess the volume and competition restaurants get in TO compared to here makes that sort of thing viable.

There's a growing food scene in Indianapolis. City is easy to navigate and if we get the Amazon headquarters it will probably grow even faster.

>this whole post

Attached: 1521156534604.gif (500x274, 187K)

Kansas City here. It depends on where you go. There are a lot of restaurants where you an be a regular to and just go in and have a coffee or bring a group and have a nice brunch and cocktail. Coffee here is abundant. Cafés galore. BBQ is great depending on where you go, but not the best. Gates BBQ is a place you have to go atleast once.
The scene really depends on where you go. You got NE KCMO where you've got AIDS ridden fags who act like they're better than you when they're really just trash.

Then you've got Sugar Creek/Independence where everyone is literally the ugliest I've ever seen and yet feels so entitled to everything in a restaurant. I could go on a rant about it, but when they're from this area you can tell. Especially on their breath.

And, of course, you got the fruity foo foo
rich fags in the Plaza who will spend $17 on one cocktail and act like the world's biggest snob because the plate is at a 46° angle not 45° when you placed it on the table. However, if you're a great bartender you make a lot of fuckin dough here. I guess the restaurants are okay. Never been because I work in the food industry and can't afford the food I make.

Attached: p-1-prevent-hemorrhoids.jpg (1600x1018, 300K)

>no good pizza unless $$$
>no good delis unless $$$
>good asian and burgers

Attached: San_Francisco_Bay_aerial_view1-563x375.jpg (563x375, 54K)

>Bernie
>mercantalist
Kek