Do you listen to music while reading? What do you listen to?

Do you listen to music while reading? What do you listen to?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xlNLf_RmBjo
youtube.com/watch?v=m4krz1cTmmU
youtube.com/watch?v=VrtwA4v4QH0
youtube.com/watch?v=1xS5sKohCPg
youtube.com/watch?v=jaWdVJO5H98&t=610s
youtube.com/watch?v=MaSi7Gut7xM&t=3s
youtube.com/watch?v=KXi5SUipbg8
youtube.com/watch?v=xZqZZUkwy9k
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Swans

whats up with the influx of these threads recently. i usually dont listen to anything while i read but if i do its brian eno, stars of the lid, or merzbow

Not trying to be an asshole, but are you new here? I've been browsing Veeky Forums for a little over 4 years myself and these threads have come and gone in popularity for at least that long.

>4 years
Wew lad

I listen to librivox recordings of other books so I get twice as much reading done as you pathetic faggots

I read along with the audio book :-)

Psycho-Pass OST, Half-Life OST, Thelonious Monk, Charlie Parker, Sonny Side Up, this one album I added on accident and don't care for, Pink Season: The Prophecy, 1984, Creedence Clearwater Revival's Greatest Hits, A Tribe Called Quest, Dark Side of the Moon, 2 songs from both the Diablo and LOTR soundtrack, Sadnecessary, Caravan Palace and 4 Parov Stelar songs, NHK OST, the opening and closing songs to everything becomes f: the perfect insider, The Essential Johnny Cash [Disc 1], Nonsuch, Californication, Women and Children First, Echo and the Bunnymen, Jackson 5, a Young Dubliners CD my friend made, What's Up Fatlip and Today's Your Day, Hey Ya! (Radio Mix/Club Mix), Roses and Ms. Jackson, Lester Young, Dizzy Gillespie -- Odyssey 1945-1952 or at least 5 songs from it, Our Man In Paris, Clifford Brown & Max Roach, Mingus Ah Um, Repeatedly (Album Version), Blue (Da Ba Dee) [Radio Edit], Song For My Father, Back Tuva Future, Swiss Movement [Live] [Bonus Track], Track 14 and Track 15 of Chronicle and Revolver, respectively.Or the Claymore and Texhnolyze soundtracks. Or the FlCl soundtrack. Or a mixture of the Watership Down soundtrack and the Shoggoth on the Roof soundtrack and a few random songs I won't name. Or the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack. I almost always shuffle and I only listen to music about half the time, if you measure all time spent reading rather than count each time I read.

lmao chad-lit

>Do you listen to music while reading?
>listening to music
>reading

you may choose only one

For fiction yeah.
However, I'm not really comfortable with music while I'm reading non-fiction, as it takes away my concentration/dampens my thought process

youtube.com/watch?v=xlNLf_RmBjo
youtube.com/watch?v=m4krz1cTmmU

I don't listen to anything when I read, and the only thing I could see myself listening to is instrumental music cause otherwise I'd be distracted by the lyrics

Some really over the head scifi and space ambient is GOAT escapism.

Reading and listening to music is lame. I can only imagine writing to music.

Most ambient music is sufficiently non-entrusive to read along with, imo, and I find that it only adds to the general atmosphere. Different strokes for different folks, obviously, but here are some suggestions

youtube.com/watch?v=VrtwA4v4QH0
youtube.com/watch?v=1xS5sKohCPg
youtube.com/watch?v=jaWdVJO5H98&t=610s
youtube.com/watch?v=MaSi7Gut7xM&t=3s

Yeah, if it works for you that's cool. But it just seems counter to my values of engaging with the art, either what you are reading or what you are listening to. It's like playing a video game while you watch a movie.

People's obsession with music gets very obnoxious after a while, I myself can't stand listening to music half the time when I'm on the bus or in a car with someone, not even counting reading. I prefer being able to hear myself think rather than having shit blare in my ears 24/7.

Moe Shop

Lustmord and Lovecraft

I can't often concentrate on what i'm reading if there's music playing but i found that when i was reading the Tale of the Heike i was listenning to the Seven Samurai song (i was really into kurosawa) and it made the experience of imaginating the plight of the characters so much better

here is song:
youtube.com/watch?v=KXi5SUipbg8

People with headphones blaring all the time is just another symptom of the civilisational problem of overstimulation.
Our eyes are constantly under assault by smarthphones and videos with fast-switching frames, tastebuds overwhelmed with sweet/salty/fatty junkfood. Same thing with ears.
Problem is that the more stimulation you get, the more you want, until you become a complete dopamine-whore who can't concentrate for 10 seconds straight, only waiting for the next bout of hedonic pleasure.

Agreed.

Summed up my thoughts on it perfectly senpai.

i listen to the wind blowing against my patio door while im reading

I did at a time but I stopped and no longer listen to anything. It's too distracting for me since I really like music.

I have tinnitus and reading without music is next to impossible. Mostly ambient music, soft electronic music and lofi hip hop beats.

do you guys focus solely on music when you want to listen to it like anyone would with a book? like the only thing you are focusing on is the music

Not always, but often. I listen to music attentively, it is very rewarding.

to add, I really love to listen to music as I stroll or look out a bus window or something, focusing on the music as it shapes the scene. I don't close my eyes, but this is less of a split of attention than reading and listening to music is imo.

music interferes with reading. maybe its ok if you're this guy otherwise u doing it wrong.

actually i take that back, if you have tinnitus you should be listening to white noise like a fan or furnace sound not music

In the same vein, do you guys think a 30 minute commute (an hour altogether and often longer) with music falls under the category of time to think for yourself?

Stars of the Lid, some aphex twin, oneohtrix point never, Brian eno, Tim hecker.

I don't understand the implication of that categorization.

youtube.com/watch?v=xZqZZUkwy9k