If i force myself to read, would I slowly develop concentration and interest in literature? How long would it take...

If i force myself to read, would I slowly develop concentration and interest in literature? How long would it take? I used to be an avid reader before the age of 12 when I discovered the internet, but recently when i picked up a novel and tried to get into reading again I couldn't focus at all, I kept reading the same paragraph over and over again because I didn't pay attention the last time, and I had little interest in the material itself. How do I really get into Veeky Forumserature?

Other urls found in this thread:

libgen.pw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

For me it took a really good book. Then it ended up being an arduous trudging along. After about a year of discipline now I can't stop. Moderation is key, make time for reading - if you force yourself to read all the time you might start to resent it.

noted senpai. do you remember which book it was for you? what was your reading schedule?

I think I forced myself an hour a day most days. Got easier and easier. I do feel you though, youtube and forums all day change the way your brain functions (I remember initially I just couldn't process the words at all) - it's hard to just throw yourself into reading and expect to love it and be great. Self-discipline and focus. The book was The Magus but that's the least important thing. GL.

Try reading books you are actually interested in instead of what Veeky Forums memes you into reading. Most of the western canon/the greeks will probably seem too boring until you're more used to reading.

any1 else here have tips on getting into reading as a pleb?

Start with pleb-tier shit - Vonnegut, Orwell, Steinbeck, etc.

Bad bait

Read novellas. I have the same issues and the sense of achievement you get after you finish something short is otherworldly

more like Harry Potter

Read The Hobbit

protip : if you don't like doing something,
including reading, then don't do it

i recommend finding a you'd actually enjoy, not just mainstream books nowadays

This is the most retarded advice anyone has ever given, maybe ever

Anyone has any beginner Veeky Forums guides? I don't know where the hell I saved mines.

crime and punishment and other famous classical lit books under 300-400 pages are pretty good for beginners because they are the equivalent of game of thrones in the movie scene because nearly everyone who watches it agrees its the shit. If you think you are too much of a bitch to start that high up start by reading short stories or sci-fi genre books, you can just google the name of the book then type pdf, and just start reading it on your computer for like an hour, don't give up, visualize the story in your head like its a movie and what themes are being explored when shit happens bla bla bla.

libgen.pw

Russian lit is good for beginners, but essentially you can start small with short stories ( any are good ). The best way to find a book you might like is basically LURK, LURK LURK and LURK some more, go to the sci-fi threads and google the books people are talking about and see if it might be for you. Then dl it for free hehe...or go to a book store or order it.

i meant to say sci-fi/fantasy, one of the first books i fell in love with was "the broken sword" as well maybe give that a crack it's good entry level goodluck boys.

this

you should also stuff your mouth with candy because it tastes good, not exercise because it's kind of annoying, etc

not the poster you're replying to, but it was Inferno by Dan Brown. Pleb books are nice because they're easy reading so they ween you off of distractions without overwhelming you.

Try to find the ideal book for you, OP. It can't be too hard, so you will slog through trying to read it. It also shouldn't be too easy, because you get bored. Also pick an area of your interest, there's books about anything nowdays.

Try some modafinil or other study drugs.

honestly, I feel like short stories aren't that good for beginners because you're supposed to read them in one sitting and since OP's problem is mainly concentration maybe reading by chapter helps
most of the short stories I read have been incredibly long so maybe I'm biased

sorry you guys got so triggered, the spoiler warning was supposed to prevent this kind of screeching

Some easy thrillers that aren't completely brain-dead are good starters.
Things like Jurassic Park, Fight Club, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo etc
I personally started with 19th century british literature because they generally don't require much outside knowledge to understand (plus I had some basic information on it because of high school and have even read some books) and fulfill my tastes very well

For me modafinil makes it harder to read, really disappointing

Sometimes it just depends on the book. Sometimes i read like you describe and sometimes im completely absorbed. The dragonlance books by tracy hickman for instance are great and when i start reading those i just keep going.
So just find a book you like.

I will give you some advice, as a Mathematician. This will most likely apply to you as well. I never really cared much for reading Math books, thought they were boring and mimicked korean grind fest mmorpgs. I was right in a certain way, high school math textbooks were basically korean grind fests where you had to grind mob after mob in order to level up your understanding; however, a really good Math book like K.N Analysis is a joy to read. Every problem feels like a unique challenge and every sentence advances my understanding of the subject. I find that if you stick to whatever you are reading, then you will end up enjoying it as well. Try to pick a book that's challenging and interesting, and don't try to go overboard.

Good luck.