Anyone here uses one of these...

Anyone here uses one of these? I cook pretty much everyday and homemake every meal for myself and I use salt and pepper pretty much every time I cook. The thing is the pepper grinder that you buy often stuck and clogged with moisture and doesn't work very well. How easy is it to use a mortar and pestle?
I never used one before is it more of a hassle? Is there a grinder on the market that doesn't clog?

Attached: aef36d458c3cc74987133a1e4ef3e021.jpg (240x240, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kqadY4DUZVQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Got one, a simple one, but never use it. The few times I did the result wasn't great.
I guess it'll work great for peppercorns though, but not as great as a working grinder. Never had your problem with those, and mine aren't exactly top line either. It's weird yours clog.

watched a chef john video and saw that he used a frying pan to crush up peppercorns nice. might work for you

I wouldn't us them just for pepper. Just get a better pepper grinder.
But for making your own spice blends, dry & wet rubs, pestos etc. a mortar is awesome. I usually buy my spices whole and grind them down. They retain a lot more flavor that way so you need less.

just buy one, they cost fuck all
the more you cook, you'll realize how worth it they are

I have a peppergrinder that grinds the pepper very coarsely and then grind that in a mortar. Works pretty well and I like the process of manually grinding since it feels like you put in your own power, your essence, into the spices.

I only use it to make sambal.

Attached: 1200px-Sambal_cobek.jpg (1200x900, 240K)

i use one to make spice blends all the time. it's great. simple to use, easy to clean.

what ingredients do you put in your sambal mix my man

Just basic things. Shallots, red/green chili, tomato, salt, and a little bit of sugar. I don't really like using shrimp paste.

I bought a stainless steel one, and I'm wishing I went with stone.

why's that?

It's not at all hard to use with dry spices, just crush your stuff for about a min and then start grinding for about 2-3 mins more. Add salt and if you intend to use sugar in your dish add that too, the crystals help with the grinding.

I sometimes use it for things like a Thai green curry paste and believe it or not it comes out better when done with mortar and pestle instead of a grinder. Read somewhere a grinder brings too much air into the paste what makes it oxidize rather quickly. Quite a bit of work though, mashing onions, chilies and what not, you'd want a larger pot than in your pic and a rather heavy pestle for that.

I have one, and I use it one a week maybe.
Mainly use it for crushing and mixing spices, but also making guacamole/pesto when I need that.
>The thing is the pepper grinder that you buy often stuck and clogged with moisture and doesn't work very well.
yes, then the morat and pestle will make wonders, as long as you have whole peppercorns.

Very worth it. Just research how to treat them before using.

The only time I ever use mine is for cumin.

Really good to have one but something important nobody is talking about is shit flying out of it. I might be misusing it but for example

>pepper corns and coriander and fennel for rub
>have to individually crush each pepper corn or they dpnt grind, the action is loud
>peppercorns fly out of the small dish

Id invest in a bigger one or use a pan. the small one makes it harder to do much with it most of the time.

you are using it wrong, you don't smash the shit y ou lightly smear it.

a bit of an overshare, but I don't judge what others do in the privacy of their homes

I mentioned it before, add salt into the mortar (no more than you want to use in your dish obviously), it helps with grinding and reduces stuff flying out.

for peppercorns a good mill is a lot cleaner and faster to use. for pesto, grinding large dry herbs/spices like self dried chilies, cinnamon, making aioli, curry pastes and such the pestle and mortar is goat

This

Can I use it to flatten meat?

I use it for salsa and guac mostly.

not him, but as someone with a ceramic one I assume his problems are the same as mine: the material is too smooth. It doesn't grind very well.

I wouldn't use a mortar and pestle just to grind pepper.
I use it to make pastes and spice mixes.

I have a granite mortar and pestle. I've been using it to grind up raw cocoa beans.

I have one, marble, and I used it regularly when my pepper grinder broke. Most of the time it's just window dressing in my kitchen but it comes in handy sometimes.

Attached: 1502481010624.jpg (600x686, 65K)

This is almost certainly something you are doing wrong. I don't see how though, if I threw a brick on some peppercorns I highly doubt that they woulld fly all over the place

I have the same problem.
When I try to crush things like black pepper or coriander seeds, I have to hammer them with the pestle, cause if I try to grind they just roll to the side. And when I hit them they fly out.
To make it work anyway I cover the bowl with my hand and use the pestle between my thumb and the rest of the hand.

the only thing that bothers me about the rough surfaced stone and marble ones is that it must be grinding a small amount of powdered stone into whatever is being mashed

I made a mortar and pestle last week

Any man that eats well, will eat at least one whole grinding stone throughout the course of his life.

So what? It's powdered rock.
Unless you buy the world cheapest china mortar laced with heavy metals you will shit or piss it out.

youtube.com/watch?v=kqadY4DUZVQ

yes but I generally don't add random powdered substances to my recipes for the fuck of it just because they aren't fatal

Eh, you don't know how much of that shit is in the pre ground spices either.

good thing I don't use preground spices like a huge faggot

Is that video from pre-2k? Who still has 35mm film canisters?

i have one of those, but my pepper grinder works like a charm. never has it clogged nor has it gotten stuck.
mortar and pestle is stone age-tier, even someone retarded should be able to operate it. the coarser you want something to be, the more you have to work for it

this is a really good answer, i would say exactly the same thing.