Fuck you Veeky Forums. I fell for the Greeks meme, read the collected works of Hesiod, Homer, Herodotus, Thucydides...

Fuck you Veeky Forums. I fell for the Greeks meme, read the collected works of Hesiod, Homer, Herodotus, Thucydides, Pausanias, Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides, Aristophanes, Plato, Xenophon, and Aristotle, and all it did was alienate me from modern society and make me hate women.

good. let other people impregnate women, that's your purpose now.

>pausanias

Did you really? Never seen him in a shelf thread.

That's the point retard. It made you more intelligent.

>read social critique
>become critical of the society

>actually reading Pausanias and Xenophon
Holy shit user what the fuck's your problem?

Plato has a whole chapter in The Republic saying women could be Auxilaries and Guardians. Thucydides recorded the Funeral Oration which is in direct contrast to Pericles' relationship with Aspasia. Socrates had female teachers. You can't have read them very well.

WTF I love women now

>implying you wouldn't marry a Medea

Except none of those examples suggest that women are equal to men. Most notably, women in Republic can fill any role just like men, except that on average they will be less capable and less likely to be guardians.

Pretty much antiquity's equivalent of our current physiological understanding of the sexes, i.e., yes some women are stronger than some men; nevertheless the average woman will be outclassed by the average man.

Greek traditions of Pandora were basically just pagan versions of Christianity blaming Eve for original sin. Women in Greek antiquity were mostly meddlers and troublemakers, and the few who were extolled for their virtues gained that respect not by means of acting like men, but almost always (at least for mortal women) through a totally different value system that prized modesty, chastity, loyalty, and obedience. That's why Penelope has to wait for Odysseus while he fucks a nymph on some island somewhere.

The point is that if you absorb enough of the Greek value system (VERY arguable about whether you should, and to what extent), it follows very easily that you would feel contempt for the modern woman. Whether or not those values hold true today is a different question, and it's crucial to point out that anyone who condemns contemporary female behavior by means of antiquity's value systems should probably be condemning contemporary MALE behavior just as heavily. By Greek standards, modern women are (typically) licentious, shallow, insipid, and faithless. But by those same standards, modern men are (typically) weak, fearful, effeminate, meek, lacking in ambition and purpose, overly concerned with wealth for wealth's sake, overly concerned with women, etc.

This is a good thread.

>Xenophon
He's the shit

The meme is sound enough to a certain extent, in the sense that the Greeks did indeed lay a solid foundation for Western culture, politics, astronomy, physics, art, literature, philosophy, theology and so forth, but it's unfortunate to see new readers slough through them as a mere preparatory step to what the individual in question might consider the "good stuff".

It's akin to having highschoolers read Shakespeare – they haven't read enough to appreciate his depth, range and versatility, or to look beyond the archaic stylistic elements to appreciate the thematic core of the plays and their subsequent insight into human nature.

This is a fair critique, but you have to understand this: our emotional and intellectual lifes are vastly different than those of the ancients, which makes it harder to emphasize with their worldview. There is no "going back" – the best we can do is to selectively assimilate whatever elements we find useful and discard the debris.

Freezing yourself in a culturally defined dichotomy of male/female virtue is missing the point – you stand still scrathing the surface, rather than looking beyond those idiosyncracies and diving deeper into a millenia old dialogue of perennial topics that has plagued men of all times.

Why do you read?

Have you read the Bacchae? It's an interesting play because the underlying moral lesson is kind of pro promiscuity, that's not to say it represented Greece, but it really suprised me at the time. I think non-dionysan Greece has the perfect gender roles, and everything else for that matter.

>but it's unfortunate to see new readers slough through them as a mere preparatory step to what the individual in question might consider the "good stuff"
I think the usefulness of the meme is it draws people in with this premise but quickly infatuates them with Greeks for Greeks.

Xenophon is the reason we record stories at all you retard.

If you wanted to remain bluepilled living in the modern world you should've read fiction instead, m8.
That's the reason why Veeky Forums is filled with lots of redditors etc, most of them didn't actually read the greeks at all.

Anabasis is pretty interesting

>That's the reason why Veeky Forums is filled with lots of redditors etc, most of them didn't actually read the greeks at all.
Relative to what? I'd say Veeky Forums by far has more Greek readers than any other online space populated by young men

We don't dump our shit into the street and pay barbarian armies to raid our enemies so Ancient Greek values a shit.

I don't think the Greeks would have taken too kindly on fat/malnourished NEETs LARPing as ubermensch.