But literature isn't supposed to be enriching or educational, its supposed to be entertaining

But literature isn't supposed to be enriching or educational, its supposed to be entertaining.

t. genre cuck

It's ok, I tend to read more for pleasure than anything else. You can yell at me for not understanding the deeper meanings of texts.

Storytelling + Language = Modern Lit

>literature
>supposed to be anything

I find educational entertaining.

If I wanted to be entertained I'd just watch tv. People who read for enjoyment need their heads checked

You read whatever you want.

>If I wanted to be entertained I'd just watch tv.

surely the best literature is all three of these :thinking_emoji:

>its supposed to be entertaining.
to you, maybe

literature is supposed to be spiritually and morally edifying.

Do you deny that entertainment is a superior form of entertainment?

That prison cell looks comfy though

I want to read teevee

por que no los dos?

>home from a long day of work
>sit down with some food in front of me
>hmm better open up a Stephen King novel because I'm too patrician for television

If you work 12 hour shifts 6 days a week when can you read? Why would you waste your free time with television?

>Doesn't browse chans on phone while eating

Because people need to relax sometimes nigger. You put your feet up between demanding tasks rather than going 24/7 on mediocre shit

TV entertainment is fucking shit, the storylines from most shows make no fucking sense.
I read for entertainment and sure a Game of Thrones is entertaining but the novels are still even more so.

If your choice is between Game of Thrones then you're not watching good tv. Good television shits on garbage like AOIAF

theres no real difference.

Reading Stephen King is on the same level than watching TV. You are not smart enough for Veeky Forums. This is not your place.

>reading isn't relaxing

t. Mindless pedant

>Have no one to eat food with
>Work all day
>Watch tv because its easier than reading

Better off just killing yourself asap because your life is pathetic.

Also theres a thing called an audiobook, check it out sometime.

Thats sitting down. Relaxes you and gives you lots of time to think about life

>Better off just killing yourself asap because your life is pathetic.
that's not a very nice thing to say.

entertainment in enrichment?

audiobooks are for plebs who can't read and think that they are "too good for tv"

>literature is supposed to be enriching or educational
Says who?
>its supposed to be entertaining.
Says who?

Audiobooks help me out because I read really slowly and can't always devote the time I need to a reading assignment when I have to discuss it in two days in class
But yeah I agree I'd never use an audiobook for pleasure/enlightenment reading

i read to get new perspectives

everyone

...I enjoy reading educational and enriching stuff. Therefore it entertains me.

Are you all saying you don't enjoy education? What the fuck are you into this hobby for then? To show off and look smart?

But you go to school and pay for someone to speak the information to you? Writen word is for plebs, the true patrician way of learning is through the spoken word and not some symbols with meaning attached to them.

>everyone says that literature should be enriching or educational, and also entertaining
I'm pretty confused now. This statement is certainly false, however, since at least OP and I don't think that way.

john williams, all of his novels, completely entertain and move you. he wrote how an author should write, to emotionally move you and completely persuade you into the story and characters.

The spoken word literally is "some symbols with meaning attached to them". I don't know wether you learned by reading or listening but either way the method wasn't very successful.

It's not that literature SHOULD enrich or educate or entertain, it's that it is supposed to.

It is sounds attached to meaning, which is a faster and more efficient communication of ideas, all other animals communicate in this manner, few if any do so through writting and for good reason. To be honest I learn better through hearing the information than I do through reading it, but books have their value and that is undeniable. But reading books is tiring and takes a long time, especially if it is something like moby dick where an hour of reading is dedicated to the aspects of whales.

Ok, change that one word. Now what? You're still wrong.

You haven't clearly explained why sounds attached to meaning are superior to visual signs attached to meaning.
>all other animals communicate in this manner,
Animals communicate through sounds, visuals and smells. Also, they are pretty stupid, why should we treat their behaviour as exemplary?

Sound is too ad-hoc. The written word is vastly superior when it comes to precise descriptions and things that are analytically complex.
Oral communication is superior only in reaching multiple listeners simultaneously and expressing things intuitively through the nuances of tone, accentuation and timing.

I was just poking fun, both have their merits and I prefer audio at some points and visuals at another. But reading itself takes a certain amount of energy to do, while listening requires none at all, so reading is best for quick bursts in my opinion, limited to small concentrations of information, but It is very easy to listen and learn for long periods of time, but the concentration needs to be diluted so it sticks better. So in a way a long tedious book could be better listened to than read, unless the reading is limited to short peiods over time, rather than the long constant listening periods of audible information.

And many animals are smarter than us, since they do not have the weaknesses associated with civilized/domesticated living.

I feel that learning complex things is done better audibly, as I learned many complex things from teachers who taught through speaking, things in which confused me on paper. But the same can be said in regards to a poor speaker who cannot express information properly in the same way a writer fails to express an idea.

isnt thinking entertaining anyway

It's suppose to be all three, silly

why not both?

If it isn't the first two it isn't the third

>12 hour shifts 6 days a week
Do you work for Henry Ford, lmao?

Education is a form of entertainment

Unpacking a story's didactic content is part of the pleasure in reading it

>Good television

This meme again

im pretty sure it can be for education you mindless fucker even if you don't think so.

Why not all three?