What's the best version of the bible to read for understanding the philosophical framework of Christianity? Is it this?

What's the best version of the bible to read for understanding the philosophical framework of Christianity? Is it this?

Other urls found in this thread:

newadvent.com/fathers/.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elhanan_son_of_Jair
angeluspress.org/products/haydock
haydock1859.tripod.com/.
media.wwnorton.com/cms/contents/OldTestamentTOC.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i dont think youll understand the bible by reading the bible. too much needs to be annotated, depends on hisyorical context, forest for the trees etc.

I plan to do secondary reading of course. I thought that I should it read it once through for the first time before I do any of that though.

You’ll need to read a lot of the Church Fathers. Focus on the Cappadocian Fathers first. Stick to the 300s-800s. This site collects a lot of good writing: newadvent.com/fathers/. Get the Orthodox Study Bible, a Douay-Rheims, and an RSV. Read the Bible, but rely on the Fathers for the philosophical framework.

>best version of bible

king james

KJV but get the Apocrypha

The philosophical framework of Christianity is only very loosely based on the Bible. You'd be better off picking some of the important passages like the sermon on the mount, reading several translations of those, and then moving on to later writers. Also keep in mind that different denominations disagree about a lot of things.

the bible is more about semitic philosophy to demonstrate the great strides christians had made relative to all other societies

it is a guide on the reasons everyone else is fucked up, moreso than a guide to 'current' christian society

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elhanan_son_of_Jair
Are there any other examples where the KJV blatantly alters the meaning of the text?

Kjv is not a good version, I recommend ISV or ESV

>understanding the philosophical framework of christianity

Skip the bible and read plato. Christianity is just greek philosophy for dumb peasants

For Christian philosophy from the Bible you'll really need an annotated version. King James Study Bible for a protestant view, Ignatius Study Bible for a Catholic view, Orthodox Study Bible for an EO view, or New Oxford Annotated Bible for an academic view.

For annotations Challoner's revision of Douay–Rheims translation, even if you are protestant.
If not, then obviously King James or if in German, then Luther and it's derivations.

>i dont think youll understand the bible by reading the bible.

Such a fucking dumb statement. Have you even read the Bible yourself?

Platonism is just Christianity for pederasts

I thought christianity for pederasts was catholicism

Norton Critical Edition of the Bible. It's King James and comes in two volumes.

>Ignatius Study Bible for a Catholic view, Orthodox Study Bible for an EO view
>Challoner's revision of Douay–Rheims

The Haydock Bible (Challoner-MacMahon revision of the Douay-Rheims with extensive commentary by Fr George Leo Haydock) is the supreme orthodox (note the small "o") annotated Bible.

angeluspress.org/products/haydock

>The Haydock Bible is a larger-print (12 point) format Douay-Rheims Catholic Bible with a comprehensive Catholic commentary, illustrated Catholic Bible dictionary, and history of the books of Holy Scripture are reproduced from the 1859 edition of Fr. Haydock, whose superb explanations and commentary cover a large portion of each page.

>The invaluable commentary is drawn largely from the Fathers and Doctors of the Church. The copious commentary (which is NOT large print) and accompanying dictionary make it the best Bible available with a guide to understanding Holy Scripture.

There are multiple versions of the Haydock Bible out there. The one I linked to isn't the only option. The other thing you can do is get a regular Douay-Rheims and read Fr Haydock's commentary online: haydock1859.tripod.com/.

Douay-Rheims Bible along with a Catechism; it's the only way to read the Bible. I highly suggest watching videos or reading sections of the Catechism that correspond with the passages of the Bible you plan to read.

The New Catholic Answer Bible is a great starter too

The New Revised Standard Version, The New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha, The New English Bible, The Jerusalem Bible, The New International Version.

But KJV is pretty Veeky Forums, and don't read a paraphrase bible like The Living Bible.

>Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums told me only dumb proddies take the Bible literally
>read this
>Noah's ark is totally possible, guise!

media.wwnorton.com/cms/contents/OldTestamentTOC.pdf

Just take a look at the table of contents for the Norton Critical Edition of the Old Testament. Over 600 pages of context pulled form 200 years of commentary, poetry, theology, philosophy, and literature. Another 600 pages of the same thing in their version of the New Testament. And fantastic intros to every book with in-depth footnotes on every page. this is the bible you want. Imagine reading these cover to cover and absorbing the immense amount of biblical knowledge contained therein. You'll be ready for anything.

I meant to say 2000 years obviously

>Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums told me only dumb proddies take the Bible literally
Those are nu-Latins you heard from before. Some Orthodox are probably guilty of it too. They think that if they pander to scientism they'll be taken seriously. Speaking for the Orthodox Church, there's no insistence on 'literal' interpretations of the age of the Earth, evolution, the Flood, etc. Meaning the Church doesn't say you don't have access to salvation if you're not a 'literalist' (like someone prots teach). But it's wrong to say that a literal interpretation isn't orthodox. I'm undecided. I lean towards a more 'literal' understanding.

[I keep putting '' around literal because I don't think it's a useful word when dealing with acts of God. What does it mean to have a literal understanding of something that's beyond our understanding?]

What? No, just read the bible first and then research all of this.