Can Veeky Forums recommend some good works by lesser known female writers? So no Plath or Dickinson or anyone like that...

Can Veeky Forums recommend some good works by lesser known female writers? So no Plath or Dickinson or anyone like that.

Please no autism from red pilled virgins.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Shanda_Sharer
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elsa_Morante
quora.com/What-are-considered-the-best-translations-of-Sappho
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Please no autism from red pilled virgins.
don't you fucking dare talk about simone weil like that you filthy mouthed bourgeois trotskiite whore

I'll give you a list of 'famous' female authors from the top of my head because they're usually overlooked by the general pop and feminists

Ursula K. Le Guin (she's very famous, but not many know her outside of sci fi): Left Hand of Darkness
Teresa of Ávila, may have been the main influence on Descartes: El Castillo Interior
Simone Weil: Waiting on God
Hannah Arendt: Origins of Totalitarianism
Sappho & Corinna: their poems

I know this is Veeky Forums, but I'd like to see if anyone knows lesser known stuff because I don't.

>Please no autism
Good luck with that.

Ágota Kristóf - Le Grand Cahier

how do you feel about red pilled dykes?

simone de beauvoir
hannah arendt

Cis lesbians are all domestically violent murderers, user.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Shanda_Sharer

it's why highsmith's so much fun, but you can always give them well of loneliness if you want them to die. bit like a highsmith novel that, but it's your life, you can make it a genre novel if you want.

>Cis lesbians are all domestically violent murderers, user.
is that a plus or minus for you?

Turn, Magic Wheel & A Time to Be Born by Dawn Powell
Brother of the More Famous Jack by Barbara Trapido
Cruel Poetry by Vicki Hendricks
A Manual for Cleaning Women by Lucia Berlin
Heloise is Bald by Emilie de Turckheim
Ten-Thirty on a Summer Night by Marguerite Duras
In a Lonely Place by Dorothy B. Hughes
Picnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay
Laura by Vera Caspary

Rebecca West
Marguerite young
Gloria Naylor
Eve babitz
Colette
Mavis gallant
Alice munro lol
I dunno man that's all I can think of.

Elsa Morante is one of my favorites.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elsa_Morante

Thanks for the link. I've read a few Moravia books and never knew his wife was also a writer.

Teffi

>Sappho

What's the best translation of Sappho? I've compared a few different ones, and the translations often look wildly different. I know nothing about Ancient Greek, so I've got no way to gauge which one is the truest.

Why would someone want to read a book based on the sex of the person who's written it instead of the content you'd find in there?

Can't speak for the OP, but female writers aren't discussed here much, and I don't read many, so it's interesting to read suggestions and look them up - something out of the ordinary from what I'm used to reading about.

Willa Catheter, My Àntonia. It's the best novel by a female.

quora.com/What-are-considered-the-best-translations-of-Sappho

Because the the content and voice and perspective of something written by a woman will very often be different in many ways. So asking for works by women is effectively asking for different content on some level.

origin of species - darwin
thoughts and minor works - pascal
imitation of christ
a thousand and one nights//arabian nights

I can get your point, but isn't reading about ideas and stories?
I read many female authors, but not because they're female, I read them because their books are good

So you'd pick up a book just because a female was the author, even if you don't care about the topic she's has written about?

I agree on what you said to some extent, but actually I think there's no big difference between a male author and a female author in the overall, both always write good books when they're reasonable writers and passionate about the things they talk about, I made that comment because the OP's post didn't even suggest any topic in particular, and the idea of reading a book for reasons that have nothing to do with the book itself, without even considering what the book is about and what you're going to read, seems a bit odd

Can't recommend Octavia Butler enough. Probably one of the most important science fiction authors of the latter half of the 20th century (tho her work transcends the genre)

>So you'd pick up a book just because a female was the author

I would not, and I didn't say that.

If you are intentionally strawman-ing to make my position easier to attack, that's a shame. If you're really just misunderstanding, then you need to read what I wrote more carefully next time.

I'm not "attacking" anyone, I was trying to make a point about what's the point of reading a book

How wasn't it reasonable to ask you if you'd pick up a book entirely based on the sex of the author once you just made a point that this effectively means a different content?
I wasn't assuming you're doing that, I was asking you a question

>I can get your point, but isn't reading about ideas and stories?

Yes, definitely. I'm interested in any Veeky Forums thread that covers writers that Veeky Forums doesn't usually talk about, or that I'm unfamiliar with. Things can get very samey here.

Marguerite Yourcenar:
The Abyss
Hadrian
The one about Mishima (if that's in English now)

Agatha Christie's pretty obscure

arundati roy- the god of small things
hillary mantell
a.s. byatt
angella carter
kate chopin
dorothy parker
jeanette winterson
svetlana alexadravitch- won the noble prize couple years ago, her work is brilliant

Veeky Forums isnt a great place to ask because people here read very conservatively- mostly canon, and mostly old stuff. i suspect most people on her are under 22 years of age and still just reading 'top 100 books of all time' lists.

Infinite Jest

If your interested in philosophy at all Rosalind Hursthouse developed a really cool ethical system based on Aristotelian virtue ethics. I've never seen her mentioned here. Prereqs are Nichomachean Ethics, some Kant, some Mill, and some Philippa Foot.

not exactly obscure but everything Marilynne Robinson's put out is absolutely worth the read

Gilead was great

Shirley Jackson
Doris Lessing
Zadie Smith
Atwood??? Munro?
Katherine Mansfield
Elizabeth Bowen

A few names -- brilliant and under-recognized writers