Not a native speaker. Am I good to go and start writing in English, or should I get my vocab more cromulent still?

Not a native speaker. Am I good to go and start writing in English, or should I get my vocab more cromulent still?

Other urls found in this thread:

arealme.com/vocabulary-size-test/en/
merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/what-does-cromulent-mean
youtube.com/watch?v=FzQbJAKVmt0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>cromulent
You should either reduce your vocabulary quite a lot or improve it quite a lot, because this word can't be found in Merriam-Webster.

It's a pop culture word introduced by the Simpson's in 1996. It's perfectly fine. Writers invent words all the time that aren't in the dictionary either. Get a grip you pseud.

>It's perfectly fine.
Perfectly cromulent, you mean.

>12,700 words
Should I start learning English properly or just shitpost more?

I'm at 21k and I've yet to study seriously, please get your vocab up. I'm French though, maybe the fancy french words falsified my results

>cromulent

Best bait in ages

Your skill's are cromulent, don't worry.

Considering the majorty of english readers are American size of your vocabulary wont be an issue

11400, not native and don't read books
Have to step up

i'm at 29,800 and a native speaker of american english. what should i do

be happy and enjoy life

You should know at least 40K words. If you learn 100 words a day, it'll take less than a year, so it's not that hard.

learning 100 words a day is not trivial if you have things to do

No excuses.

Books are more than just vocab scrub

Sounds pretty cromulent.

9,5K non native :(

nothin' personal

behold

reliability = established

What site is this

fuck i gotta read more; im 19 and i had only ever read 6 books in my life. Im reading more fellas. How do I make reading a habit fuck

Goddamn that got hard really quick

Bump

Wait why don't I learn words everyday?

Oh man

>14,900
>native speaker

what books should i read Veeky Forums?

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Holy smokes! This guy's cromulence is off the charts!

One away from quads, I’m sorry brother

post the url please

nvm i found it
did you guys look stuff up?

I wonder how it is with my native language.

arealme.com/vocabulary-size-test/en/

C R O M U L E N T
R N
O E
M L
U U
L M
E O
N R
T N E L U M O R C

not quite perfect.

Calling bullshit on this quiz
I'm not a native and I have to read my longposts like 5 or 6 times because I most likely made a mistake

Either I greatly underestimate my English skills or this quiz is sort of easy

>cromulent

Not now... but soon.. soon...

merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/what-does-cromulent-mean

>21000
JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP

Fluency doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with the size of your vocabulary. I'm very fluent in more than one language, I hold conversations easily in all of them, I have the highest ranking diplomas to certify for it and all that. Yet my vocabulary isn't actually that good.

Also, this quiz is shit, I got fucking cervantes level in spanish and it's just the same test, same order, same answers, just in spanish, so it's just basically same shit. This is fb shit level.

I'm okay with this.

I probably use only 200 unique words in my day to day anyway.

last time i took this i got 35700

as a native english speaker my vocab is like 300,000 words.

Try learning german. Their entire vocab is made up of 6 million words, and ours is 1 million.

>inb4 6 million

never read an english book
should I start with the greeks?

I mean... You could write, but I would recommend you to write in your own language.

youtube.com/watch?v=FzQbJAKVmt0

Was hoping I'd break 30k

I feel you

I'm only 16 and english is my 3rd language lmao

english is my third language. I'm actually quite proud.

>8,3k
Kill me

You can't read an English book with that vocabulary.

Native Dutch

Non-binary genderfluid non-native here. How are you today?

also im 27. how can i possibly improve from here? should i just keep reading?

How many english language books have you read?

Wat is je favoriete boek in 't Nederlands?

19 years old non-native here, just started reading last year.
How bad is it?

Non- native, pretty good

I believe my book count (sans textbooks) is less than or equal to 20 (not meme-ing). I'm 21 and I mostly grew up reading wikipedia and blog articles. pic not related

Weird, I remember like 3 years ago people here all had around 30-40k.

It isn't the technology, it's how one uses it! Carpe diem Veeky Forums

I scored 29500 but I inferred the meaning of a lot of words from their grecolatin roots and from words I know in other languages.

>other quizes
>Are you left or right brained?
>Which Game of Thrones house are you?
>Mental Age Test
>IQ Test
>16 Personality Test

shut the fuck up I'm shakespear

Not him, but for me it's ''De Avonden," which has also been translated (maybe recently) into English! I was walking through a hipster bookstore in Houston when I suddenly encountered "The Evenings" by Gerard Reve on some shelf.

Ik heb ''De ontdekking van de hemel'' nog niet gelezen trouwens, die wordt vaak als no.1 genoemd, dus het zou kunnen dat ik mijn mening nog moet bijstellen.

9.8k as a foreign speaker, equal to 10-year-old child in USA. Can I read non-fiction English books with this vocabulary? Because I can't always find translated version of some books.

Ah, tof. De Grote Drie stellen zelden teleur, zelf een groot fan van W.F. Hermans, maar toch schrijven Mulisch en Reve ook prachtig (hoewel de bijbel-taal van Reve soms wat vermoeiend is). Heb je "Nooit meer slapen" gelezen?

De ontdekking van de hemel is inderdaad veelal geprezen, en verdient dat in mijn mening ook, hoewel sommige delen wat pretentieus overkomen, maar goed, dat heb je nou eenmaal bij Mulisch.

Ik neem aan dat je oorspronkelijk in Nederland geboren bent?

Honestly 30,000 is nothing to be proud of. Pretty much all literary academics will be much, much higher. You can get to 30,000 doing nothing but reading reddit pastas and trite garbage like Jane Austen. It proves nothing. If anything, 30,000 is the anticromulence, the point at which one thinks they can stop but which in reality is little more than a well-intentioned start. It destroys peoples' chance of achieving a good vocabulary. Discovering you have reached 30,000 before you have significantly passed it will destroy your motivation and your career. You will never really meet your potential, having spoilt yourself by eating from the tree of knowledge of estimated vocabulary.

I'm in college this is bullshit! I'M EDUCATED!

careful, you just used about 10% of your known words in that one sentence. you're going to bore us if you continue talking, best to stay silent and let the adults speak

>careful, you just used about 10% of your known words in that one sentence.
You should be quiet and leave mathematics to the big boys.

I have a vocab of a 14-year-old but my grammar is top-tier?

Your post is composed from very common words. I suspect irony.

native neet

Huh, is like we had a literal invasion of mongoloids or something

Bullshit site.
More than half of the words I didn't know; I had never heard, read or seen before.
>malapropism
>vibrissae
>maladroit
>noisome
>bugbear
>pother
>ragamuffin
>natter
>legerdemain
>terpsichorean
>tatterdemalion
>parsimonious
>embonpoint
>legerdemain
etc

Wait I know what parsimonious means.
Anyway, still bullshit.

second language 19yrs old

Step up, boyos

>ragamuffin

20 year old non-native here with about the same result as you. I wouldn't say it's bad, my English is even superior to most of my friends, it' just that people here have a really large vocabulary.

frenchboi au rapport. hardly ever read english lit tho

I have learned a lot of new words from reading English translation of Dies Irae.
>sycophant
>remiss
>weatherwane
>replete
>mettle
>befuddle
>indolent
>drivel
>opulence
>ostentatious
>antacid
>extraneous
>environ
>petulance
>portent
>perfidious
>burdensome
>smarmy
>ineffable
>preternatural
>vexatious
>snivel
>trite
>umbrage
>perceptible
>ardent
>dullard
>malediction
>cursory
>furrow
>ardor
>levity
>guffaw
>omnitude
>incessant
>trudge
>garrulous
>veracity
>colander
>aloft
>poignant
>tote
>harrow
>inexpiable
>bilge
>recalcitrant
>harangue
>arduous
>acquiesce
>unbridled
>tarry
>elsewise
>trod
>nary
>wrought
>gullet
>inerrancy
>exultation
>obsequiously

Ik zal eerlijk toegeven dat ik schaamtelijk weinig Nederlandse boeken heb gelezen. Sterker nog, ik heb nog nooit een boek van W.F. Hermans gelezen, alhoewel Nooit meer slapen en Damokles wel op mijn verlanglijstje staan. Vorige week heb ik nog een kringloopwinkel uitgekamd op zoek naar klassiekers, en alhoewel ik veel goede boeken voor rond de €1 kon vinden, zat er helaas geen Mulisch of Hermans tussen. Ik zal op jouw aanraden beter gaan zoeken naar laatstgenoemde!

PS ik woon nog steeds in Nederland, maar reis vrij veel. Vandaar dat ik het boek van Reve tegenkwam in Texas.

>It's a pop culture word introduced by the Simpson's in 1996.

Then my verdict is that OP will never and should never become a writer

SNEED

how cromulent

How's this for 18?

>malapropism
>maladroit
>noisome
>bugbear
>ragamuffin
>natter
>legerdemain
>parsimonious
I see all of these occasionally.

>If you learn 100 words a day
There's no way this is possible for a non-native, unless I'm retarded

>native english
>21.5k words

how do i learn better more words

Visit more boards.

Honestly that was so easy you should probably be ashamed if you didn't get the max.

29250, but I think I had about half of that on the test where you had to self report instead of multiple choice. Real life isn't multiple choice.

post the test link ya silly sausage

Native speaker, I know more words than Shakespeare did:)