I'm thinking of ending it, Veeky Forums. I want to believe what he says about living for simple joys being enough...

I'm thinking of ending it, Veeky Forums. I want to believe what he says about living for simple joys being enough, but when you can't feel simple joys, where does that leave you?

I want to explore suicide in literature and philosophy and really get a grasp on it, the arguments for and against, the feelings involved, everything. I want to understand this before making this kind of decision. Do you have any recommendations?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/s/schopenhauer/arthur/pessimism/chapter3.html
en.wikisource.org/wiki/Moral_letters_to_Lucilius
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Are you a frogposter?

I need to know the answer to be able to decide whether I want to suggest books or encourage your ending it

Read Steppenwolf by Hesse and then laugh at yourself.

Did I post a frog?

Yes

The Frog might cometh in disguise ( Zechariah 5:9)

Read The Ethics of Suicide. It's like 1,200 pages long but covers most major philosophers' thoughts on the issue. The vast, vast majority is just "muh duty to god", "Muh social duty", "muh family duty" though.

>Leafing through The Ethics Of Suicide
>Trying hard to find some justification for suicide
>Oh shit everyone thinks it's dumb

Can't say those are compelling arguments, but that's definitely something I'll have to give a look. Thank you.

And thanks to you too. I just looked at a summary and it looks along the lines of the type of thing I'm looking for.

Rightfully so.

Yes

I promise to you that it will at least shed some light on the subject. It's not a long read either. I don't know how good or bad the English translation is though.

Here is some Schope and what he thinks

ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/s/schopenhauer/arthur/pessimism/chapter3.html

but more importantly I recommended reading letters 7,24,49,67,77,92
77 is the 'main' one about suicide but the rest help flesh it out

en.wikisource.org/wiki/Moral_letters_to_Lucilius

forgot to add this

7- On crowds
24- On despising death
26- On old age and death
49- On the shortness of life
67- On ill-health and endurance of suffering
77- On taking one's own life
92- On the happy life

theirs a lot more there but i think this gets the jist of it

Pirandello has a book of short stories about suicide, called Suicide Tales, or something like that. I never knew he had written such, or anything other than plays, until I stumbled on this a few years ago. Amazon has it.

I just read the first story, and didn't want to read any more. It was quite a good story. I was surprised how good it was.

A frog-eater, yes.

Got me there I guess.

Thank you both. I'm starting in on some of the other stuff now, but those have both been added to the list.

A frog living in Algeria, but still a frog.

cool

It is not worth the bother of killing yourself, since you always kill yourself too late.

-- Emil Cioran

If you're a smart man, and you scream and shout in pain and anguish, something will usually save you. But if you let yourself become nothing, then-

John Donne wrote a defense of suicide called "Biathanatos" if you're looking for a text in favor of it. It's mostly religious from what I understand though, and he never actually offed himself, he was just depressed because 5 of his 19 kids died or something