What is the most beautiful or inspiring quote you ever read?

What is the most beautiful or inspiring quote you ever read?

I LIKE BIG BUTTS AND I CANNOT LIE

Once I really am in power, my first and foremost task will be the annihilation of the Jews. As soon as I have the power to do so, I will have gallows built in rows—at the Marienplatz in Munich, for example—as many as traffic allows. Then the Jews will be hanged indiscriminately, and they will remain hanging until they stink; they will hang there as long as the principles of hygiene permit. As soon as they have been untied, the next batch will be strung up, and so on down the line, until the last Jew in Munich has been exterminated. Other cities will follow suit, precisely in this fashion, until all Germany has been completely cleansed of Jews.

These quotes do inspire me to not be like the fools of the world and to remain a good person.

May I get a real answer yet?

Remember that following desire promises the attainment of that of which you are desirous; and aversion promises the avoiding that to which you are averse. However, he who fails to obtain the object of his desire is disappointed, and he who incurs the object of his aversion wretched.

>An excess of history seems to be an enemy to the life of a time, and dangerous in five ways. Firstly, the contrast of inner and outer is emphasised and personality weakened. Secondly, the time comes to imagine that it possesses the rarest of virtues, justice, to a higher degree than any other time. Thirdly, the instincts of a nation are thwarted, the maturity of the individual arrested no less than that of the whole. Fourthly, we get the belief in the old age of mankind, the belief, at all times harmful, that we are late survivals, mere Epigoni. Lastly, an age reaches a dangerous condition of irony with regard to itself, and the still more dangerous state of cynicism, when a cunning egoistic theory of action is matured that maims and at last destroys the vital strength.

It feels incomplete to me.

categorically false
shit like this inspired Arendt to write Eichmann in Jerusalem and portray him as a boring and dim incompetent
William Shirer tears this nonsense to shreds in the introduction to the rise and fall of the third reich

Must be painful

We are voyagers, discoverers
of the not-known,
the unrecorded;
we have no map;
possibly we will reach haven,
heaven.

>If he had smiled why would he have smiled? To reflect that each one who enters imagines himself to be the first to enter whereas he is always the last term of a preceding series even if the first term of a succeeding one, each imagining himself to be first, last, only and alone whereas he is neither first nor last nor only nor alone in a series originating in and repeated to infinity.

Bonus points if you know where it's from without googling pretty obvious though from the prose style

I don't know but that was pretty nice, what's it from?

Full of fun tidbits if you have the stomach for it. The tone is, well, difficult to describe, as the writing style often changes, but its indescribable because it's universal. Never has a book covered all the bases in the human spectrum as Ulysses has. Now that I think about it, there are a lot of obvious parallels between this and The Cantos by Ezra Pound from what I know. I'll have to check that out someday too

That was from Ulysses? Interesting.

The Cantos are nothing like Ulysses. Joyce had an amazing breadth of knowledge due to immense focus. Pound had a bunch of different stuff cobbled together because he couldn't focus at all.

The best Modernist poetry (for me) tends to be trying to reconcile the atheist and christian mentalities. Modernist prose tends to be about consciousness and ennui.

Amritam jñanasya phalam bhavati

SPRICH NICHT DRÜBER AUßER WENN DICH JEMAND FRAGT
LEB SO; DASS ES ALLE WISSEN WOLLEN

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost.

I remain happily wed after 94 years of marriage.

This is fundamentally true.
Roberto Calasso says 'The only adventure is the adventure of the good.'
Though one should set out to do well one would be wise to keep this little nugget of Emily Dickinson's in one's bindle:
Candor is the only wile.
God digs craft.
Jesus Christ was either the son of God or the GOAT performing artist. Though there are in fact two ways, there are no two ways about it.
Also, a misspent youth is a youth well spent.

Thanks for this.

unsinn

>Also, a misspent youth is a youth well spent.

how so?

Love grows in little houses.

11 22 44

If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.
If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
J 15 19

11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11

At this point I'm just playing with you.

In the sense that those who 'make it' (by spending 'wisely') tend subsequently to blow it by 'making up for lost time,' i.e. for the youth they 'lost' via soi-disants 'wise expenditures.' It's perhaps a vicious cycle. Requires close negotiation (think of it as a sailing term, i.e. 'negotiation') Breaking it's your Odyssey.

woah.... so this is the power of schizophrenia

I only have a vague idea of what you mean, but I disagree even with that.
There doesn't seem to be anything extrordinarily positive or educational about a failed youth. Certainly nothing that trumps having succesfully completed the first steps towards a stable, happy life as soon as possible. If you take the subsequent steps afterwards or just run in circles is up to you, but at least there is a choice to be made. For people that went through their teens and early 20's without doing much of anything, the world chooses and they have to abide, pathetically.

I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life... to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Not a failed youth, a youthful youth.
Perhaps, for instance, youll never be a rock star, pro athlete, novelist, whatever. Youth's nonetheless the time to try. I don't mean to pre-empt work.

Perhaps as responsibilities accrue (you) won't be able to consider 'the lilies of the field' so much. Youth is the time to consider them in spades!