Which one should I get? I kinda like the easton press one more, but it costs twice as much...

Which one should I get? I kinda like the easton press one more, but it costs twice as much, and the gold leaf on the edges gets scuffed really easily, whereas folio society has white edges.

Other urls found in this thread:

librarything.com/topic/192510
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ask rebbit, soyboy

Go with folio. it cheaper and it comes with illustrations I believe.

Folio

Current Folio releases aren't even bound, but glued.

I don't know about Easton Press. Buy old and used to get decently bound book.

Easton Press releases are sewn and bound with leather covers.

Easy choice.

what the fuck is wrong with you guys
get the single volume hardcover from the Tolkien shop

Wait folio is not made to last?

>Wait the shitty publisher that craps out hardcovers with fancy swirls on the spines and has people who just want books to look nice when left untouched on their shelves as their target demographic, doesn't make a durable long-lasting product?

rekt

With 'adhesive binding' obviously not. Majority of publishers have taken this cheapo course, even university press (ridiclious when you consider how much their books cost).

If you don't know these books 'bound' with adhesive are effectively paperbacks with hard covers (funny, since once upon time even paperbacks were sewn).

Uncolored edges get 'scuffed' just as easily as colored or those covered with gold or some other metal. The gold covering will protect from smell's, mold and moisture. For example, I have several books from 19th Century whose covers smelled terrible, moldy, but thanks to gold sides, the pages were fine and became fine books after rebound to new covers.

I never bought from them, all I wanted was an answer without fucking sarcasm on why their books are crap.

thank you kind sir.

What the hell are you talking about? I'm looking at my Folio LOTR right now and it's sewn.

ISBN? The Folio edition from 1999 sure as hell isn't sewn nor is any recent Folio release.

Better yet, pic or it didn't happen.

pics or gtfo
you may not know what a properly sewn binding looks like

Folio is much better than Easton imo

Why?

Smyth-sewn through and through. The edition is the one in OP's pic, available through Folio's website.

That does indeed look like smyth-sewn from side, but post a pic of between the signatures. The signatures can still be glued together, even if a single pack is sewn.

But the 1999 Folio Society edition I have (it has identical covers), is clearly glued.

And here: librarything.com/topic/192510
>Among the first ten books I purchased, six have visible glue on spines, including The Lord of the Rings
>Their pages are still sewn, as the signatures are seemingly stacked and glued to the spine
>Such binding, which some websites labelled "thread sewn binding", appears substandard compared to the other four books, which could open completely flat without visible glue on spine.

So take a closer look.

LEATHERBOUND IS ONLY FOR ANCIENT CLASSICS YOU CUNTS NOT 20TH CENTURY FANTASY

Yep, everything's sewn. I dunno if Folio's QC was slack in the past, but everything I've bought from them has been sewn. They have cheaper books which are most likely glued, perhaps their older LotR set was one of them.

Nigger

PontusPresents booktube channel covers this question, go there.