Wil this become the best book in the self help "genre"?

Wil this become the best book in the self help "genre"?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tizCBNhsTeE
youtube.com/watch?v=28xM5Pwio9Y
metamoderna.org/jordan-peterson-and-camille-paglia-a-marathon-of-academic-incompetence?lang=en
reddit.com
youtube.com/watch?v=_vAat1HQU0M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's philosophy not self-help

Jordan Peterson is a fucking mongolid. I wouldn’t wipe my ass with his pathetic excuse for “self help.”

t. unsorted soyboy with a dragon of chaos in his uncleaned room

Lmao this, he's like a snakeoil salesman who deals in betamale-bait

Sort your room, rescue your father and slay the cat-bird-snake, faggot.

Is this the guy who cried on webcam when he was associated with the alt right?

if so, please post the video

what is it about him that triggers this board do much?
serious answers only pls. can anyone even articulate why they dislike him beyond the 'clean room father figure jungian dragon slaying anti postmodern man'?
i just don't see what he says that is such an issue and the hate for him here is outright neurotic

>looks at the comment section on his youtube videos

I wonder why

does anyone know what the 12 rules are?

His fan base consists of fascists, misogynists and boorish /pol/ types.

I personally really like the guy though.

>Wil this become the best book in the self help "genre"?

yes. it will do the literature equivalent of winning the special olympics, although "7 habits..." and "how to win friends....." are still running strong

Nothing he's said has any value whatsoever. His attempts to "destroy" postmodernism are just pathetic, showing no evidence he's actually read the thinkers involved and quickly digressing into areas that aren't postmodernism at all. Just a worthless speaker and writer.

I think it's similar to Rick and Morty hate. It's more of a hatred for the sub-100 IQ fan base. I guess you could get something out of Peterson though, like book recommendations. Rick and Morty is pure, unadulterated trash

When has a fan base really determined your interest in a subject? He's just a psych prof who was ahead of the internet curve and uploaded his videos. It's no wonder so many ideologically fueled neckbeards latched onto him, none of them had a dad.
Have you read any of Maps of Meaning? Holy shit you're delusional bucko.

>Have you read any of Maps of Meaning? Holy shit you're delusional bucko.
Why would i read that trash when i had read Jung already?

One of the advice is literally "Pet a cat if you see one" and "Let kids do skateboarding"

Not that i doubt you but, proof?

He's a scam.

>It doesn't sound smart or profound so it isn't good advice

neck yourself brainlet

lmao. Post excerpt

>the book have the subtitle "an antidote to chaos"
>is grandma tier advice
woaah

youtube.com/watch?v=tizCBNhsTeE
such an intellectual giant

>assuming Chaos is a bad thing in the first place
ishygddt

I thought the 'dragon' thing was a meme to make fun of him.

Sounds like he struck a nerve, though. What is it about postmodernism that makes it immune from criticism?

>that voice

>What is it about postmodernism that makes it immune from criticism?
Nothing.
But making strawmans of what is and just adding everything that you don't like it is another fucking thing.

He does talk about slaying dragons a la Campbell or Jung. He also uses the analogy of cleaning your room. If you want a taste of Peterson (I'm only interested in him peripherally, I'm not a mini memerson) I'd recommend checking out his analysis of Pinocchio. It's pretty fun and novel.

The key point being INTELLIGENT criticism - there's plenty of parts in Derrida, Baudrillard, Deleuze/Guattari, etc, that don't work at all, but Peterson never addresses those actual errors of postmodernists, he just snowballs everything into this catchall category of "neo-marxism" or "subversion" and conflates it with unrelated subjects that he's also mad about, like the pronoun shit. It's lazy thinking at best, deliberately misleading at worst.

>If you want a taste of Peterson
I'm not really into youtubers. I'll leave this thread

He writes books too; he was a professor at Harvard. Youtube just made him famous.

>While encompassing a broad range of ideas, postmodernism is typically defined by an attitude of skepticism, irony or rejection toward grand narratives, ideologies and various tenets of universalism, including objective notions of reason, human nature, social progress, moral universalism, absolute truth, and objective reality.[4] Instead, it asserts to varying degrees that claims to knowledge and truth are products of social, historical or political discourses or interpretations, and are therefore contextual or socially constructed. Accordingly, postmodern thought is broadly characterized by tendencies to epistemological and moral relativism, pluralism, irreverence and self-referentiality.

To be fair it does sound like a load of horseshit.

>literature equivalent of winning the special olympics
this is probably the best analogy i've seen

we need a /yootoober/ and /self-help/ board.

this shit's ridiculous

It sounds like a useless presupposition. It's like, okay, well, what's next? It doesn't help society, it doesn't progress metaphysical thought. Wow shit is relative. Congratulations.

>claims to knowledge and truth are products of social, historical or political discourses or interpretations

Do you doubt this?
Here's Nietzsche: A mobile army of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms—in short, a sum of human relations which have been enhanced, transposed, and embellished poetically and rhetorically, and which after long use seem firm, canonical, and obligatory to a people: truths are illusions about which one has forgotten that this is what they are; metaphors which are worn out and without sensuous power; coins which have lost their pictures and now matter only as metal, no longer as coins.

This board is so slow and full of meme books already, how is this thread not helpful in keeping this relic of a board alive?

Bump

>useless
>help
>progress
Die functionalist scum. *shoots yu in the head*
I bet you'd tell God to fuck off... hurr what use is heaven what use is truth
retard

10/10. Here is your (you).

the book isnt even out so you cant possibly know the context the 'rules' are in.

not sure if you actually have something against him or your just trying to rustle

youtube.com/watch?v=28xM5Pwio9Y

Rebel without a cause baby

This is a Peterson thread, not a Camus. Camus is cool though. Punk as fuck.

Faggot.

Faggot.

Redd/lit/ is full of /leftypol/ wannabe intellectuals.

I think it's more the fact that the right so staunchly identifies and absorbs him into the culture. You for instance are probably the kind that would call him /ourguy/ or click the click bait "Peterson ABSOLUTELY DESTROYS [insert arbitrary group].

>confusing rebel without a cause and l'etranger
wew lad

Which is funny, because Peterson himself says he skews left, and even if he was a right winger he would be a right winger in Canada (our right wing parties make Clinton look like Mussolini).

I think it's the disjunct between his clearly having read and probably understood the major post-structuralists, and his outright dismissal of them as all saying *exactly* the same thing, basically his refusal to engage with them on individual merit. At least that's what turned me away from following him.

No. It’s just that it doesn’t make me froth at the mouth with rage to see someone trying to help young men live with purpose. I actually think it’s a good thing, despite the protests of Reddit, to encourage /r9k/-types to not be useless and unhappy good goys. Nice strawman, though.

well go to evangelize the fuckups at /r9k/ and let us talk about fucking books in peace.

But peterson has written books and he's a pretty decent writer.

this is a thread about petersons book you fucking moron

>self help

Really makes me thonk

Because people have been posting the same threads about him for months on end even though he has practically nothing to do with literature or philosophy. Oh, and the people who post about him are typically the_donald tier who have barely read a book in their life. It's nothing personnel, people just don't want Peterson's drooling fanbase here.

this is just a thread for the cult of personality of your internet dad you faggots, there is LITERALLY no discussion of anything that the retard have wrote on here.

>reading capitalist propaganda

Really mapes me gink

He has a lot of good and interesting stuff to say that his mongoloid fan base ignores in favor of "Le epic SJW burns!" and "clean your father's dragon room bucko xD"
His bible series is really great archetypal analysis of the Bible and what that means for life but of course his retard fan base can't go through 4 hours of the stuff at a time

>that whole 'kekistan' thing and replies.

>people will read this instead of Aristotle

It's his followers, not him, although he is second rate. I have enjoyed some clips from his lectures, but when he tries to engage with philosophy it's almost embarrassing.

/leftypol/ is more Veeky Forums than /pol/ now

See metamoderna.org/jordan-peterson-and-camille-paglia-a-marathon-of-academic-incompetence?lang=en

the tldr of it is a non philosopher talking about philosophy mischaracterises and miss uses ideas and condemns it based on those missunderstandings

>People will read Aristotle instead of the so called "pre-scoratic" Milesians and Eleatics

Newfag or /pol/lack confirmed

Exactly. This

Keep telling yourself that.

Holy shit that is awful

The majority of /pol/ is from the anti-sjw youtube sphere or the r/donald. It isn't a matter of politics, and to be blind to the amount of traffic /pol/ and in turn the rest of this site got after the election just shows you weren't here before

We should move all the peterson "God is necessary for all proof" peterson threads to /pol/. We need to make it clear mouthbreathing retards are not welcome here.

if we only had moderation

>ITT: Faggots getting mad that some people have found a lecturer and writer that they like and whose ides they've found useful.

Hello comrades. If you want everything you don’t personally liked banned, there’s this great website called reddit.com You should check it out. Especially r/communism. If you’re a loser IRL you should also look into becoming a Reddit or /leftypol/ moderator yourself so you can feel like you have power over something for once in your wretched life. Communism will win!

t.newfag who is oblivious to the decay Peterson fans bring because he is one

>everything that i don't like is communism
I don't give a fuck if you want to talk about fucking mein kampf.
What i hate is you faggots spamming bait threads and having the discourse level turn into youtube comment tier.

Ironically the "everyone who disagrees with is my political opponent" is a staple of r/the_donald, r/communism and youtube comments. You people just keep outing yourselves as ideologically driven idiots

he only barely covers the surface of philosophy and makes pseuds feel good about their (((intellect)))

Peterson is hated mostly because of ideological reasons. The left will attempt to discredit anyone who they see as a threat to their doctrine of moral relativism and cult to collectivism.

Post-modernism follows an intellectual playbook very similar to Islam

>Person criticizes x
>"You can't criticize x if you haven't read the authors"
>Person reads authors and rather than changing his mind, confirms that said ideology is dangerous and makes no fucking sense
>"No no no you don't understand what they mean, please pay $300,000 dollars for a course on transexual fifth-dimensional neo-feminism, only then will you understand Foucault and Derrida"
>Person takes course, still can't make sense of post-modernism
>"Well I guess you can't be helped"

The academic discipline of philosophy went down the drain the moment professors inspired by the post-modern school started taking over.

>You can't criticize x if you haven't read the authors
well... no? At least not in the fucking literature board?

The point is that they will make up any excuse to make you think that you don't understand their shitty ideology or philosophy.

Is this bait?

no
read vox day and lauren southern on this topic

its interesting, i think jp might not be revealing how much he knows.

my main complaint is that he repeats the same ideas over and over. watching his lecture series even casually means noticing just how much he repeats himself.

as to why i still think he knows more than he lets on, his best stuff comes from interviews where he cant steer the conversation to what he has a clear narrative on. in those videos he can play with info from a broad range of fields. in one of the q&a sections he is called out on his mischaracterisation of postmodernism. while i personally think he answered the question poorly, he did admit that when he refers to postmodernism he is only talking about those people that want to subject their narrative onto everyone and that he does it on purpose.

i respect the dude and had found him to be a great initial guide for figuring shit out in my life, its important to know that he makes a lot of shortcuts which many people misinterpret as a lack of knowledge because he rarely admits it. personally think is for the sake of the people not interested in reading the books he suggests, which is why the comment section looks so shitty because its full of just those people.

Thank you for letting us know that you are a cultist.

Because Americans have to politicize everything. You have to hate whatever the other side likes without examining it, hence, left leaning boards like Veeky Forums have a lot of spergs who think their bizarre ranting is some sort of political act. If these people realized no-one gives a solitary fuck about their pointless 'culture war' and their worthless opinions. If they did something in the real world they might achieve something, but no, have to keep up the pretence of relevance otherwise the ego might suffer.

And vice versa for the right.

if that helps you sleep at night

I think you would be hard-pressed to find an intelligent comment on youtube in general, let alone on a fairly popular video.

I agree that he really shows that he is out of his depth when he starts to bring philosophy into a discussion and outside his lecture series he has surprisingly little to say given his ___vast intellect___.

His main problem I think is outright dismissing huge tracts of work by labeling them as post-modernist and/or Marxist and then just takes certain elements out of them (post-modernism's rejection of grand narratives, Marxist thought leading to vicious states) and uses that as a dismissal. However, a lot of people do this same exact thing regarding him. He has some good things to say.

A lot of the allure is having a living semi-intellectual with content, imo.

>left leaning boards like Veeky Forums
The delusion

To ideologues, everyone who doesn't agree with them is the enemy. If one poster doesn't advocate bringing back gas chambers, the whole board is full of lib-cuck post-modernist Marxists.

>says Peterson fans bring decay to the board
>doesn't say anything about the decay of civilization that Peterson's enemies bring.

>my main complaint is that he repeats the same ideas over and over. watching his lecture series even casually means noticing just how much he repeats himself.

That's true of any speaker or thinker. You're noticing it because you're watching lecture after lecture, while he's tailoring his message to the people he's speaking directly to. The same holds true for anyone on either side of the spectrum. Go watch a handful of Zizek talks.

Just finished his maps of meaning lectures, was about to start his personality course. Is it basically the same material or is it different enough to watch with his same little anecdotes?

> he's tailoring his message to the people he's speaking directly to

which is why ive found myself watching less of his content. i suppose its time to move on

Alright, let's be real here. Zizek repeats jokes, but he has a way bigger pool of ideas to pull from in lectures.
t. Zizekfag who's watched too many Peterson videos.

>read vox day and lauren southern on this topic
Is this bait?

youtube.com/watch?v=_vAat1HQU0M

Day 1 purchase tbqh.

It's more psychology driven.