Is Genre Fiction Not Better Than Other Idle Pastimes?

>Veeky Forums hates genre fiction

Isn't reading genre fiction alongside "proper fiction better than watching TV or playing video games alongside proper literature? I don't know why this board is so averse towards it.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Books-Die-Greatest-Mystery-Writers/dp/1451696574
amazon.com/dp/022612181X
amazon.com/Pulp-Crime-MEGAPACK®-Noir-Mysteries-ebook/dp/B01HTLU8Y0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>comparing whole media to artistic merit categories

Bro. Of course it is. Veeky Forums isn't the intellectual hub of the world, it's opinions don't matter. Common sense should tell you that reading (as a low stimulus activity) is better than vidya.

I don't think Veeky Forums hates genre fiction. Veeky Forums just has a critic eye and don't read all the craps that exists in genre fiction. Like, I know that alot of people here likes Gene Wolf, Frank Herbert, Ursula Le Guin and William Gibson. I think we just look to the best. And yeah, I know that genre fiction isn't just Sci-fi, but these are the threads that I have seen here.

>implying top tier video games are comparable in intellectual enrichment to top tier genre fiction

>genre fiction
>intellectual enrichment
Okay, I think we found your problem.

Dirt tastes better than carrion, user. That doesn't mean dirt is tasty

lots of scientists read sci fi, I don't know why Sffg has containment thread when shitposters don't

>making my point for me
Thanks?

and Hitler was vegetarian, I don't know why vegetarians aren't shot on sight

sad faggot is sad

video gaming > tv show > literature > genre fiction
>inb4 plebs disagreeing

>babby's first ebyn bait
Adorable, but lurk more and try harder.

just read what you like to read., this board is fucking shit

There's nothing wrong with reading genre fiction. Fuck me, just do what you enjoy and stop worrying about what notoriously salty people on the internet think.

Pleb uprising, the divide has become too great, the ignorant emerge victorious again.

You forgot to rank comic books

>Talking about anything remotely pulpy or noir on this board
"Genre Fiction" will always be a polarizing topic for sure, worthwhile stuff is out there tho even if finding it can sometimes feel like looking for a needle in a haystack.

>video games below television
Have you seen the disgusting pig slop that's on TV now? you're either referring to AAA shlok like Call of Duty or you haven't been watching TV recently. I have a lot of normies in my family who drag me out against my will to watch blockbuster movies and as bland as the storylines and a lot of video games can be the bile produced by Hollywood is far worse. Don't lump something like Guilty Gear or Dwarf Fortress in with that cultural pollution.

>le vidya is art manchild army has arrived

No surprise that the gamer has terrible reading comprehension

Absolutely it's better

I actually despise those people. Most of the time they band around postmodern junk like Gone Home and praze it as an example while being unable to describe any finer qualities it allegedly possesses. I could do that as will if I wanted to. The New York Museum of Modern Art is interested in having a copy of the source code for Dwarf Fortress, but that would be assuming the term "art" means anything anymore. If literal trash can be considered art, it doesn't matter arguing what it is. The debate is not worth having until aesthetics are back in style.

I wasn't even arguing for games being art, I was arguing that they are games that require more intelligence to enjoy than television.

I'm dyslexic with horrible spelling. I need speech to text software to write. This probably makes me the angriest most self-loathing person on Veeky Forums. Still not sure why you think I have poor reading comprehension.

I used to play Dwarf Fortress for 12 hours a day
I don't play any games at all anymore, I don't even have a cellphone or a television. I just shitpost on here and then read

>minecraft livesreams>anime visual novels>videogames>tv shows>genre fiction>literature
FYFY

you can never read too few bad books, watching kino is way better than reading genre

certain games require more mental effort and ability than genre fic

If it's any consolation most of the writers who used to peddle on about vidya as art are now writing about politics in video games. Their motives in both cases are highly transparent and as such it's quite easy to ignore their worthless existence because they've successfully shown how little they really enjoy the medium they've dedicated a good amount of their life to. Fuck them.

>postmodern
Careful, you're trying to larp as a non-retarded person.
>I was arguing that they are games that require more intelligence to enjoy than television
You literally said "stop looking at AAA games, there are some games better that AAA blockbusters". How you don't see the retardation here is a mystery.

Since games themselves aren't an art form there's no point in trying to comparing them to different art forms as a whole.

Sturgeon's Law.

You have poor reading comprehension because he clearly ranked video games over TV. Even if you think he was posting it in a reverse order as a joke, that puts genre fiction over literature, which is obviously bait

That doesn't answer the question at all

I really need to learn to just fucking cool it I think before I post. This is the second time this month my autism has derailed a thread.

I'm not much better. I have a handful of hobbies and no life outside of them and my job. My own family can't relate to me at all.

>Careful, you're trying to larp as a non-retarded person.
I have no other concise word to describe the pretentious self-absorption that Gone Home represents.

>You literally said "stop looking at AAA games, there are some games better that AAA blockbusters". How you don't see the retardation here is a mystery.
Triple A games barely exist to me. They just fade into the background so when someone says "video games" I think of what I'm into, which is fighting games, roguelikes the occasional grand strategy game and "retro" games. If it makes you feel any better, I would rather people not play games at all then play something like Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed. I'm also personally biased not only because I play games myself, but because I see television as a mental health hazard. I try to minimize my exposure as much as I can but it's difficult when you're surrounded by normies.

>Since games themselves aren't an art form there's no point in trying to comparing them to different art forms as a whole.
I just told you the New York Museum of Modern Art wants the source code for Dwarf Fortress. In addition to that, the Smithsonian held a limited-time display of video game software and artwork from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure was displayed at the Lube. I'm not sure why you're pretending that "high art" exists as a separate cast anymore.

If you put it that way, there some of the most pathetic people in society.

Anyway, back to op's topic, I don't even read a genre fiction because my love of video games and Anime makes me feel like I'm at "peak genre" so I mostly read classic literature and nonfiction. It's a strange dichotomy.

He was saying there is a small number of works in a field / genre that have genuine merit and deserve respect and that the rest should just be ignored.

I never thought it mattered whether or not someone authority declares something to be art or have great merit. I think it's more important that it have an emotional effect on you. The deeper and more personal the better. I know there's some works I love more than its merit deserves. . .

>when someone says "video games" I think of what I'm into
You personal preferences are of no relevance whatsoever to discussion.
>because I see television as a mental health hazard
This sounds like something a clever 13 year old would say. All media contain both great works of art and mass-cult shlock. Nothing special about TV/cinema in that regard.
>"high art" exists as a separate cast anymore
It never existed as a separate cast. Your inability or unwillingness to educate yourself and form a coherent personal view on what constitutes artistic merit doesn't in fact mean that the latter is unquantifiable by a variety of metrics.

>A moment's reflection should be sufficient to convince anyone that the existence of established genres is enormously beneficial to the artist and that almost all the greatest art has been built upon the strong and familiar foundations of genre: Shakespeare's plays, Mozart's symphonies, and Renaissance painting offer obvious parallels. Of course, what we ultimate value in Mozart and Shakespeare are great personal qualities; the genre does not create these, but it does provide a means whereby they can find the fullest and freest expression. The genre-less artist is in fact less free, because he is continually preoccupied with the problems of inventing his own framework, a task which makes, among other things, for extreme self-consciousness.

Veeky Forums is retarded on the subject of genre, turning a partial and sometime truth (a lot of genre lit sucks) into something approaching an ultimate truth, while ignoring more important aspects of the question such as those mentioned above.

Shadow of the Colossus is up there with top tier lit.

>he thinks Veeky Forums believes genrefic/literary fic is a dichotomy
>he doesn't know that literally everyone is well aware it's a continuous scale
>he doesn't understand that "genre fic" refers very specifically to lowest common denominator trash
>he argues semantics being unaware of the context
R E D D I T
E
D
D
I
T

You argue semantics, while I've nowhere seen anyone on lit with the wit or sophistication to argue the importance of genre wrt, eg, Shakespeare.

>This sounds like something a clever 13 year old would say.
I mean it, I feel much better if I managed to go a whole day without seeing or overhearing any television. a few times a year my family will drag me out to watch some blockbuster movie and having to sit there having my senses assaulted with asinine drivel leaves me feeling angry for hours after leaving the theater.

>All media contain both great works of art and mass-cult shlock. Nothing special about TV/cinema in that regard.
I just said that when replying to somebody else on my previous post. you better not be the guy who told me I have poor reading comprehension.

>It never existed as a separate cast. Your inability or unwillingness to educate yourself and form a coherent personal view on what constitutes artistic merit doesn't in fact mean that the latter is unquantifiable by a variety of metrics.
from my previous post:
>my love of video games and Anime makes me feel like I'm at "peak genre" so I mostly read classic literature and nonfiction. It's a strange dichotomy.
>feel like I'm at "peak genre"
>I mostly read classic literature and nonfiction.
Are you reading what I'm posting or are you stereotyping me as a man-child and trying to beat me down so you can look smart on an anonymous anime image board?

>anyone on lit with the wit or sophistication to argue the importance of genre
Because nobody is disputing the importance of genres themselves on Veeky Forums, you hopeless brainlet. The mockery of genrefic refers solely to works that are devoid of absolutely any originality or artistic merit and consist solely of cookie-cutter prefab genre-specific tropes, themes, ideas and plot elements. You're literally fighting a windmill built on a deliberate misinterpretation of what is labeled genrefic here, i.e. semantic sophistry. Kys.

Pfft. Nonsense.

>I just said that
Said what? You keep going on about le blockbuster drivel as if great cinema doesn't exist. That's like saying literature is a mental hazard because you don't read and you family sometimes makes you read Dan Brown.
>Are you reading what I'm posting
I am and you keep vacillating between vague yet opposing statements basically saying nothing concrete in this blog of a postchain.

>comparing fiction to fiction to fiction
Non-fiction is the patrician catalogue of choice.

I don't quite understand the "genre as entertainment" argument because genre is so fucking boring, and it's a conscious effort of exertion to overlook the dull cliches and incompetent writing. Might as well just play vidya instead.

>aid what? You keep going on about le blockbuster drivel as if great cinema doesn't exist.
Name any great Cinema made in the last 5 years because I'm not aware of any. And you goddamn konw normies are not lining up to see it. At this rate, it's become a Christmas tradition to take a family trip to the movie theater to watch whatever turd Disney wrapped up with the Star Wars brand. The "classic trilogy" versus the sequels is a good example of what I mean by "merit." Both have a strong emotional response with normies but if you ask them to articulate what they love about Star Wars they wouldn't be able to tell you in great detail. Northeast love the new Star Wars movies because they love the old Star Wars movies. They probably don't even know why they loved Star Wars anyway. also if you agitated just listening to commercials. I can feel my intelligence being insulted just listening to it. It's like something out of HP Lovecraft if you were placed existential horror with irritability.

And I probably am being inconsistent because I'm a subhuman retard than can't spell his full name. So even though I don't know what you're talking about, you win an argument on the internet. I'm going to go play Doom, read about Al Capone and buy as much alcohol as I can afford on minimum wage and hope I can bleach my mind of what a subhuman piece of crap I am.

>Name any great Cinema made in the last 5 years
Could name about a dozen great films off the top of my head. Not going to, because it will only lead to autistic bickering edgefest. Same reason I didn't delve into discussing your vidya choices.
>normies are not lining up to see it
This is completely irrelevant to discussion of medium itself. Pop-culture is always more popular that non-pop-culture, it's pretty much the definition of it. Sad to see your whole rant is nothing but "stupid normies reee". There's also no reason to produce self-deprecating straw men, I think I gave you a fair dialogue and didn't dismiss anything out of hand.

>Could name about a dozen great films off the top of my head. Not going to, because it will only lead to autistic bickering edgefest.
I feel better now that I've been alone for a few hours away from any irritants. Still hate myself though. You can list worthwhile films from past 5 years, I'm not against watching something without girls with pastel hair, but I'd rather this thread not go any further off topic. The Avengers left me so underwhelmed I stopped paying attention to the entire entertainment industry. last time I had a good time at the movie theater was when I managed to catch a limited screening of The Wind Rises.

>Sad to see your whole rant is nothing but "stupid normies reee".
you probably have at least a few close friends with similar interests to you. I'm stuck living with my baby boomer parents, who need to have the television on all the time, in an American suburb with no car. I haven't been at work since the day before Thanksgiving, it being one of the few places in my life where I'm treated like an actual human being. the co-worker I usually chat with only works Thursdays and Fridays so I haven't had a intelligent conversation with a human being (in person) in 10 days now. After quitting a MMO I am mostly isolated socially with my only good social interactions coming from work, where I haven't been since Wednesday.

Anyway, sorry about being a faggot and derailing the thread.
Here's the cutest image in my Veeky Forums folder. That co-worker I mentioned is the only person I know that recognized it's a cuddly Cerberus.
(collecting images from Veeky Forums and Danbooru is my other hobby aside from literature and vidya.)

Storylines in lines in video games are pretty bland too. Part of the reason I quit Final Fantasy XIV is because the story line degraded into a mediocre shonen manga. It's not uncommon for restoring like to be written halfway or late into development, sometimes by someone outside of the initial development team. Other times it's just not seen as a significant enough feature.

they literally are

Just because you only watch blockbusters doesn't mean that there isn't true cinema being made. You clearly know nothing about cinema. You're a fucking idiot, goddamn. Just stop posting

see
I had a bad day, respond to bait and went on an autistic rant. I'll just start lurking /tv/. Help yourself to a funny pet photo.

Sorry senpai, I shouldn't have lashed out like that. I appreciate the pet photo

Yeah that's one reason to stay away from those but for the most part if a game is a big timesink I won't play it since that's something that will either drag out to the point of tedium or infringe on my reading time. That's why I've taken to puzzle games in a big way lately since at times it benefits you to spend time away from it.

>MMO
>Storyline

>teenage philosophical musings supported by poorly rendered illustrative 3d example
You literally couldn't have picked a worse example if you tried, brainlet.

I mean I really enjoy those old noir detective books but Veeky Forums is just obviously not the place to discuss those.

Maybe it's just me (it's not but I do seem to be some sort of minority in my expression of this) but I never played a game for story. I play games for the interactive medium, the story is just a vehicle to deliver you to gameplay. Especially MMOs, they're fundamentally built on stringing something out way longer than it needs to be for profitization, like the Dragonball series and any of its similars.

Man, I'm a supporter of games as art and that is far from the best of them.

Try Shadow of the Colossus instead.

Where do you pick those up and what are your favorite stories? I feel like I'd love gaining a massive cheap pulp collection but all I see are those cheesy Harlequin novels.

Not that guy, but this is a book I've read, and I can vouch that it's a helpful guide with a lot of very intriguing suggestions:
>amazon.com/Books-Die-Greatest-Mystery-Writers/dp/1451696574

Chapter 3 of this book has an enlightening and rather learned but fun overview/history of detective fiction:
>amazon.com/dp/022612181X

>I feel like I'd love gaining a massive cheap pulp collection
If you're willing to go the ebook route, you can get a ton of stuff very cheaply, eg, via the "Megapack" series, which are competently done in my experience and even sometimes leave me with the feeling I got a little more than I paid for:
>amazon.com/Pulp-Crime-MEGAPACK®-Noir-Mysteries-ebook/dp/B01HTLU8Y0

^See the "Customers who bought this item also bought" list at the link for many additional such titles.