Anyone read the Warhammer 40K books? Where do I start with them?

Anyone read the Warhammer 40K books? Where do I start with them?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lT5Gy079OWw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Horus Heresy
Ultramarine Omnibus

Ignore the tripe and just read books that are not manchild power fantasies.

I only read the first 4 Gaunt's Ghosts novels, but that's it for 40k.

Read a few Gotrek and Felix novels, but those quickly became the Dr.House of trash fantasy, and I assume that's where most of the Horus Heresy books eventually go.

Life is short, forget about that stuff and try to read books that will actually enrich you.

I'm really only interested in science fiction

GAY!
honestly, the warhammer books are- THE books, if you're interested in reading fantasy books, but you pick them up, and they say warhammer on the front. Like, I haven't met a single person who's actually read a single one. Every's picked one up, mind, but warhammer is like an electric fence- you touch it, and then you fling it away from yourself, even if it doesn't actually hurt.

>>>/sffg/

what i would like to try is check some those audiobooks on youtube if they were augmented with images and possibly relevant video game footage if relevant and not too corny

Esierhorn for absolute new readers
Ultramarines omnibus
Horus Heresy (Horus Rising is first book in series)
Gaunt's Ghosts
My personal favorite was Dante

>Horus Rising
>the next two Horus Heresy books
>skip to Legion
>if you're into scat read Fulgrim

Eisenhorn is great, follow it up with Ravenor if you enjoy it. If you want a 40k book that isn't centered around supermen then I'd highly recommend Dead Men Walking. Can't remember who wrote it off the top of my head, but he did both the Death Korps and Necrons really well in that book.

Great fucking stories are to be found in Warhammer 40k , I will save you guys time and money and describe how all the books and lore pieces go

>a planet from the fringe of galaxy is attacked by Orks
>Orks BTFO Imperial Guard which is useless as usual unless Ciaphas Cain leads them
>Space Marines show up
>most likely some OC donut steal shit that will have ''Iron'' ''Red'' and some animal name in it unless it's a Blood Angels successor then it will be something akin to ''Vampiric Kunts'' , you can be sure they will be a melee centric chapter because nothing says awesome as brnging a sword to a mortar fight, at least according to preteens
>rawr rawr so fucking angry, Captain Faggomedes kills the Warboss
>day is saved
>OR IS IT?!
>Chaos Marines show up, the planet is cut off from the rest of the Imperium, antoher OC warband shows up, you can be certain it's dedicated to Khorne because no one gives a fuck about other gods who actually have personality, the name will definitely have ''skulls'' , ''blood'' or something related to anger in it
>one of the higher ups in the SM chapter turns out to be corrupted
>gets destroyed by captain filled with RIGHTEOUS ANGER
>the main bad guy gets wounded during the same sperg out
>bad guy escapes
>WE WILL MEET AGAIN (they won't, no one will even address this story in other works)

>people recommending manchild shiterature on the literature board

Fuck off back to Veeky Forums. We've already beem invaded by retarded /pol/ we don't need to be brought down even more.

I read a book called Malodrax recently, and I have to say it was genuinely interesting.
A good half of the book was just space marines shooting things, but the parts that described the warp, demons, and those that worship chaos were like experiencing the kind of horrific acid trip that makes people go insane. It absolutely fascinating and totally worth reading.

So, none of them?

typically one reads the 40k rulebook to get an overview first

Yes. Do not read warhammer books.

Cain, gaunt/eisenhorn and Night Lord's/grey knights.

Basically dan abnett for pulp detective / adventure comics and aaron dembski for chaos sympathizer grim dark.

ciaphas cain is wacky grimdark dripping in the old-school semi ironic tone of oldhammer. They were my first 40k books and they were great all on their own.

Soul Drinkers
Word Bearers

The idea behind that comic isn't awful, but the execution is. It's not told properly at all.

You guys care too much about other peoples interest. Warhammer is fun.

My recommendation would be:
- Ahriman series
- Forge of Mars series
- Imperial Guard series especially Fifteen Hours
- Daemon World

- Inquisition War, for 40k at its beginning

>"To each of us falls a task. All the Emperor asks of us guardsmen, is that we hold the line and die fighting. It's what we do best: we die standing."

youtube.com/watch?v=lT5Gy079OWw

"Manchild power fantasies" are how you get heterosexual boys with normal testosterone levels interested in reading fiction. If you want a bunch of grown men who don't read, force them to read chick lit, and gender neutral YAF in school, and yell at them every time they pick up a comic book, or Robert E. Howard.

Or maybe that's how you get shit taste

THE DUBS SPEAK TRUTH!

Its obviousness should hardly come as a surprise, given we are talking about the dullest franchise in history. Seriously each episode following the imperium and his pals from the milky way as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went into battle, the author wrote instead that the character "DAKADAKADAKA WHAAAAAAG."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Games Workshop's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that it has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of WH40k by the same Patrick Rothfuss. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these heterosexual boys with normal testosterone levels are reading WH40k at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Patrick Rothfuss." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Warhammer" you are, in fact, trained to read Patrick Rothfuss.

Is this the Barry potter pasta

But that's wrong, most of the books feature only space Marines

Night Lords trilogy is very good, of the Horus Heresy you should check out the first 2 novels in the series and then maybe Legion. The Priests of Mars trilogy is decent. I haven't read Ravenor and Eisenhorn yet but I hear they're good.

Thanks Gordon, that was a delicious pasta.

>While working with Ian Watson on the story for A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Kubrick asked Watson for a pre-print copy of his Warhammer 40,000 tie-in novel Inquisitor. Watson quotes Kubrick as saying, "Who knows, Ian? Maybe this is my next movie?"[32]

What would Stanley Kubrick's Warhammer 40k look like?

kek
ebin
I feel like life is to short to read this literary drivel, but I'm deeply interested in the W40K lore and aesthetic as something truly fun, over the top and truly ingrained in contemporary pop-culture. I usually have enough with codex fluff and wiki articles. I also usethe W40K universe as a far away background for some personal sci-fi doodles from time to time.

Don't you ever dare say ill things about Veeky Forums, you pedantic homosexual. These autists have one of the best boards around and are total bros.
/pol/ should die tho

this clumsiness is not without a certain old-fashionned charm imho

the sex is sadly missing tho
t. grew up reading sfi-fi pulp and spy novels

Games Workshop would never allow it because they're ass-backwards control freaks.

good taste is first and foremost giving a try at anything and keeping an open mind

unironically this. My english lit friend literally got interested in reading after he picked up the halo novels in 2001 when we were 12

I have no idea but I'd give my left nut for that.

this desu
it's like they go out of their way to shit on their fans
this is star wars level fuckery

Full Admantium Armor - 40.001: A Space War

It's unadaptable