Best war stories thread

Best war stories thread.

Inb4 All Quiet

Parade's End. I never hear it talked about outside of academia or the dreadful BBC version, which is an absolute shame

les miserables
war and peace
life and fate

None Loud Below An Eastern Behind

>all gay on the western front
>not storm of steel

five years to freedom

rape of nanking

the three wars of roy p benavidez

Middle Parts of Fortune
The Good Soldier
In Parenthesis

Birdsong

Storm of Steel is better if you're interested in the same war and German perspective. It also wasn't written by someone who was taken out by shrapnel on his first day out in the trenches and couldn't return because his vagina hurt too much.

The Iliad
Storm of Steel

Read AQOTWF a couple of months ago. Good read but not my favourite war novel.

Just finished reading We Die Alone (by David Howarth), and really enjoyed it. It's about Norwegian saboteurs in Arctic Norway during WW2. If you've not read it then it's definitely worth a read.

Also just read The Great Escape (by Paul Brickhill) and enjoyed that too. It's about Allied P.O.W's during WW2.

Currently reading Alone In Berlin (also called Every Man Dies Alone, by Hans Fallada).

Under Fire - Barbusse........ Obviously

Iliad.
Even though it wasn't really about the war.

Under the North Star.

Mein Kampf

french cavalry officer, many memorable charges and skirmishes
lower commanding level than caulaincourt and better eye and writing ability than rapp

The doctor guy that handle the Elephant Man also wrote a pretty good book on ww1.

Haven't read this, but Unknown Soldiers was great.

I'd like to read this but not sure of a good english translation or even where to get a copy

Any advice?

that is all

Another good book written from the German perspective is The Forgotten Soldier

the horse sequence makes me want to die everytime i recall it
ve ver so outnumbered, zer was gunfire everyvhere, ve ver fighting for ze kaiser but really for each man in ze trench our bruders
>how i imagine that book that I haven't read

Kampfgruppe Pieper

Good-bye To All That

You realize Remarque is German too or where does this heavily accented assumption stem from?

Piep, piep. That must be the SS equivalent of Maus then where all the nazis are birds and the Jews are tasty worms?

Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes

a farewell to arms
flight to arras
lone survivor unironically

Surprised no one's mentioned "The Things They Carried" yet. The book is also great.

Storm of Steel, the unedited version

Uncle Ernst has gotten quite a few shouts out here. Let me add a few more:

Beau Geste, P.C. Wren
Ashes of Honor/The Captive Dreamer, Christian de La Maziere
Devil's Guard, George Robert Elford
Anything by Sven Hassel

A Man Could Stand Up, though a little unorthodox, nevertheless is poignant and chock full of joyful energy

If you liked Storm of Steel there is also Sturm and Copse 125 both with increasingly smaller scales.

On Another Man's Wound - Ernie O'Malley. About the Irish war of independence, fondly remembered above other memoirs for its literary quality, he spent time in the Taos art colony, it was a primary source of Ken Loaches "wind that shakes the barley" though it doesn't do it justice, it's far superior

anything by st exupery is actually pretty comfy

Not to be missed!

which is impossible to buy anywhere

fucking retard