How does one benefit by reading Greeks? Explain to me

How does one benefit by reading Greeks? Explain to me.

Should i start reading of 1984 or some greek book?

Other urls found in this thread:

spreaker.com/user/kulturkampf/episode-1-platos-republic-book-i
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I think it helped open my mind in terms of how old human civilisation actually is, at least it did for me since I was so ignorant.
Also they're a lot of fun, frankly I'd rather read the greeks than say, contemporary boring middlebrow novels or dickens.

Imagine watching Family Guy but not getting any of the references

That's what happens when you don't start with the Greeks XD

You don't simply read the Greeks, you immerse yourself in the ideal of their culture through the study of philosophy, poetry and myth. Like their sculpture, the Classical ideal is about unity of form and subject, bound perfection. It is not a meme, but a method

It's kind of a freeing experience when you're put inside a world with a completely different morality and everything after the Greeks is basically derivative of them.
On the other hand I have the feeling you want a "quick fix", something easy without bothering too much with many volumes that still makes you feel like "you made it inside the world of reading" so I'd go with 1984 if this is what you're after.

If you're gonna read anything written before 20th century you won't understand anything if you haven't read the Greeks

>Talks about Greeks
>Posts gross Hellenic art

>Implying the majority of our understanding of Greek sculpture doesn't come from Roman recreation anyway

>Recreation is our understanding

I bet you read translations of the Greeks too.

1984 is good if you want to read something enjoyable now.

The Greeks are good if you want to get a good foundation of literary knowledge that will allow you to appreciate other works.

If you are going to read 1 book a year, I would recommend 1984. If you're going to read 50, I would recommend da greeks.

You should have read 1984 in middle school when it was assigned to you. However, failing that, you should read the entry level canon before starting with the Greeks.

>1984
back 2 ribbit / must be 18+

stop please

Thanks for all answers, really appreciate it! Im going to read the 1984 first, then after some Greek book. Which it might be?

Greeks are shit. Nordics are the best.

>uses 'Hellenic' for 'Hellenistic'

>how does one benefit from reading good literature
If you want to read start reading, if not stick to anime. Or not, I don't care, let's be honest I'm only bumping it for the fishnet.

everyone here is fucking retarded. no one who says 'start with the greeks' has ever read anything greek in their life.

lmao don't pay attention to these nerds read whatever the fuck you want, it's just sunk cost lottery winner falacy

do you honestly believe you need to know about the ramblings of 2k years old pederast neets along with their cave of elements and shit

you're probably going to read only fiction ( or fanfiction like philosophy ) like most of the losers on this board why even bother

There is Plato´s Symposium that is a great piece of knowledge. Feminists would probably hate it if it was published today, but its still a hit .

I started with 1984 and I only became gay

Start with the Greeks.

>How does one benefit by reading Greeks? Explain to me.

Why bother reading anything? What a fucking retarded question.

Don't you think it could perhaps be interesting, to like, you know... hear the thoughts of Socrates, humanity's very first autiste?
DUDE LE ALL PHILOSOPHY IS A FOOTNOTE TO PLATO MEME LMAO
But really though, when you find out that it's not a meme but the literal unironic truth, it blows your fucking mind. You start to think that perhaps Plato and/or Socrates are some kind of Deities. Or like the fucking Monolith in 2001.

Also, here you go. Listen along with this podcast:

*DISCLAIMER* -
Podcast hosts are full blown #Fascist Mindset. Soyboys need not listen.

spreaker.com/user/kulturkampf/episode-1-platos-republic-book-i