I want to learn magic. Where do I begin?

I want to learn magic. Where do I begin?

Other urls found in this thread:

quareia.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=ZJZFeIPoswY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Robert Anton Wilson - Prometheus Rising

>chaos magik: lol magic is fake but w/e lmao

catch you at chaoscon2018, chaos fans!
panelists will be doing rituals via skype - catch the excitement!

Headbutt a wall in King's Cross Station at full speed several times.

Depends what school you want to go into, and I say that unironically with no larp business. /x/ has a library with a lot of magick Veeky Forums.

this is a good start for anyone though.

I unironically googled chaoscon2018. You disappointed me user. That shit fascinates me in the most abstract and psychological way.

anywhere but here: This is good.

It depends on what your interests are. I personally have always been into HP Lovecraft and black/death metal, so inevitably i started reading modern books on the lefthand path, which in turn lead me to reading older texts of the renaissance-era grimoire tradition, and so on.

once i was in a public park and saw a bunch of fat middle-aged women hold hands in a circle while chanting, i wonder what spell they were casting

>panelists will be doing rituals via skype - catch the excitement!

that could become singularly boring, given that the basis of chaos mageickcque is:

1: form an intent
2: create a servitor
3: ... wait.

it's the third step that gets most people. sometimes it can take decades.

After a while of messing around with solomonic grimoires like that, it gets a bit grating. Having to use virgin parchment to contact Scirlin while using the Grimorium Verum for instance, gets old pretty fast. The lesser keys are full of this too, I don't remembre what text it was exactly, but you had to create a sacrificial knife on a certain day of the year using certain materials.

I get suffering for the craft, but damn. Also, most of that wing of the occult is italian fanfiction on much older abrahamic magic which is mostly lost to time. Sort of like getting tablescraps.

delete this

the shattered plains
>stormlight archive series

How do I into enochian magic? It's something that I've found interesting for a while but I'm not sure where to start.

Jung and the I Ching

*swishes and flicks* wingardium leviosa!!!

galdon malsunvangraphur, gontal vehgonun

it's probably best to avoid the golden dawn's take on it to begin with. read up on John Dee and read his related texts. as far as I know, enochian as a magical language is more of a grid-based magical system, magic squares and all that shit.

are these diablo 2 runes

i should clarify I mean jung's foreword to the I Ching. It's short and good.
Starting anywhere else will lead you down an edgy path full of desperate losers who can't deal with reality.

I always found divination casting to be pretty memey. It's a good place for people to start, and it's always gonna' be tactile unlike most other magick, but it's essentially flipping a coin based on parameters that really come down to how you word a question or statement. It even changes from language to language. In a word, arbitrary.

Am I missing something?

So how do you get into the occult without learning useless stuff(no offense)?

You have to understand that most of it comes down to psychological reinforcement. Effort justification and confirmation bias are basically your mind's two biggest weapons when it comes to the occult. If I spend 3 days preparing for a ritual (which usually requires fasting), and then I spend 2 hours reciting and performing ceremonial magick, when I'm done with it my mind is going to want results, and it will take what it can. If the ritual was to make a pact with a demon to get the man or woman of my dreams, and I meet an interesting person the next day, then I have more of a reason to persue that relationship to justify that "wasted" time. Really the ritual did nothing, it's a placebo.

You're not going to be casting fireballs or seeing demons (at least not physically anyway), but if you enjoy the ritualization, it can benefit you psychologically. There's a lot of useless baggage that comes along with it, but if you're predisposed to liking that sort of stuff, it's definitely a plus. Who doesn't like big magic circles and esoteric minutia?

you can start by checkin' em

Try and magic my dick out of your ass faggot OP

Yeah I agree. The impracticality of those books is why I've come to love them. Those overly complex systems that have absolutely no explanation as to what any of the symbols mean but just tell you to throw it all together. It's fun deciphering some of it but overall ceremonial magic is very overdone. I personally have found working with systems closer to african folk magic, the cult of the ancestors to be much easier and effective when working practical magic.
I think if one is to start getting into magic, the best thing to do is simply go out in nature. Start spending more time outdoors by yourself, there's a lot to learn. I think the eastern (taoist) approach of simplicity is also a much healthier alternative to the western ceremonial esoteric fiasco of deciphering hundreds of outdated texts, while simultaneously having a philosophical pingpong tournament between good and evil.

Start with the Sumerians.

>asking Veeky Forums about magic and not /x/

Thaumcraft

Asking for Satan to bring them cheeseburgers

>asking /x/ about magic and not /fringe/

Maybe so, but pulling interpretations from your unconscious is as close as you are going to get to "magic."

Franz Bardon

What do you guys think about Quareia?

quareia.com/

I've read Prometheus Rising and The Illuminatus Trilogy. Don't really know what to do after. Maybe I'll read Cosmic Trigger to finish RAW.

Divination is interesting because, even if you don't believe it works, you'll learn a lot about your own projections and delusions.

Personally, I've found it does work. I've kept a tarot diary for years, and try to review the results as scientifically as possible. It's been a weird trip.

reality is an illusion

Gee, I wonder whos behind this thread...

>overall ceremonial magic is very overdone
That's deliberate. The intention is to focus your will. If you spend lots of time and money on fiddly ceremonies and their fancy props, your willpower will be strongly focused on getting results for your efforts.

>there is literally no reason to get into mysticism
Prove me wrong

Start with the Bible, you filthy demon worshiper

For the lazy, this says "Dr. Pavel, I'm CIA"

The burden of proof is on you, you pseud faggot.

Cute.

>implying Jehovah wasn't just a projection of the Heavenly Father archetype
Boy, have you got some reading to do.

Then why are you so angry?

I believe this unironically.

Start with the Sumerians, you filthy secondary.

one thing westerners love to do with taoism is simplify it even more. as a folk religion, it has just as many gods and demons as the abrahamic faiths put together, with all the associated drama. a lot of this came after the initial texts came into being, but if you ignore that it's sort of like ignoring most of the bible beyond a certain date or book.

that being said I do agree, looking at the fundamentals of the tao is even mirrored in the hermetic ideals: the principle of polarity or even how hermeticism views gender. it allows you to view everything in the material world in a different light.

Whats with the Wattsposting?

hal

I think alan watts is in part responisble for that view on taoism, and though he was pretty profound in some senses, it's just as detrimental to the religion as a stoner trying to explain what is meant by 'follow the tao'.

Why didn’t you join them? You could’ve embedded yourself within their coven and learned secret arcane knowledge instead of shitposting on a Laotian hand carving imageboard. The magical world might be real, and it might be populated by mundane people like fat middle aged women and balding accountant types

>asking /fringe/ about magic and not the akashic records

>Evola
>Introduction to Magic

>Where do I begin?
Familiarize yourself with the family tree of magic so you have some understanding about what schools of magic exist and where they derive from, so you can decide what interests you about different magic ideas, approaches etc.

"Magic is the first of humanity's attempts to force the heavens to be reasonable."

Eh, I'm a chaos magician and I think there's value in putting artificial limitations on your practices.

Practitioners that think you can just squiggle a sigil and jack off on it bother me. Maybe that's ok for something stupid, but the more life changing the request, the more effort you need to put into the charge, I think.

That said, the year long limitations on some magic is also a bit too much for me. Maybe I'll get there one day.

I think I'm of that mindset too. an 'it just werks' approach that a lot of, for instance, chaos magicians or amateur wiccans take is pretty frustrating. there's a middleground for sure

Read the Voynich manuscript.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZJZFeIPoswY

Only "magic" that exist is probability/luck.
So many times have I wished for something desperately to not happened/avoid something. And it has come to be. Or rather . . . Come to not be, if you catch my drift.

Took my driving license test last week and it couldn't have been easier, wasn't required to do any car "checks" or any difficult task. Now this is only the most recent. But times beyond counting I've got what I've "prayed" to avoid having to do.

The reason why it's weird is cause it very rarely happens when I don't "wish" for it.
Is this what Jung called synchronicity?

I for one know I will refuse to die when the time comes.

I would make this my life purpose if I only knew where to start.

One can not simply refuse to die

Semi-agreed.

Jump off a cliff. You'll fly if you believe hard enough.

>not undergoing indefinite successive deaths and rebirths

This is what 🜪lets actually believe

7 laws of magical thinking

>magical thinking
>laws

Don't, you'll just invite trouble onto you

>Not want to be embraced by Death
wew

Did he really say reality is an illusion? When I read him it seemed like he said we only can see a cross-section of reality which he calls reality tunnel.

I say reality is semantically the antonym of illusion. Perhaps our perception is somewhat of an illusion and because reality is infinitely complex, people like to just give up and call it an illusion.

Wrong, its International Jewry.

>They don't realize you can ascend to a higher plane of existence after death

2deep4you?