Are there any young adult books that don't suck?

Are there any young adult books that don't suck?

>YA
>don't suck

>Good YA

Oxymoron.

Why do adults read YA books? Or nothing but shitty bargain bin romance novels like the movies you see on daytime TV.

Is it nostalgia?

Did anybody like the Halo books? I don't remember too much about them besides the premise

the Young Wizards series by Diane Duane I remember very fondly as not sucking.

The least shitty YA novel I've ever read has been The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and it still was pretty fucking bad.

The Pigman by Paul Zindel

that is literally one of the worst YA books imaginable.

The other three I read were the first Twilight book, Looking for Alaska and Eleanor & Park. They were way, way more shitty than The Perks of Being a Wallflower, even if that's a heaping pile of shit too.

Yes this. Were the follow ups good? Pigman's Legacy and The Pigman and I?

What about My Darling, My Hamburger?

The ones that don't dumb it down for kids and can be enjoyed in the future as an adult without having to rely on nostalgia.

it is escapism

Guardians of Ga'Hoole. Nyra is my waifu.

The Bionicle books were good. Pic was badass AF.

Unironically Harry Potter

How young is YA? High school or just starting college? Can't help you with high school, but Rainbow Rowell wrote a great book about an introvert girl entering college.

Eragon & Artemis fowler are pretty good if you like fantasy

Vonnegut and Kundera aren't too bad.

skulduggery pleasant series
sabriel series

My diary desu.

A better question: what is the Don Quixote of YA literature?

If you want mindless action with some semblance of story for a boring afternoon they're great.

>kundera

This, also unironically.

I want to fuck this bird

Dark Angel trilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce
Belgariad and Mallorean series by David Eddings

Terry Pratchett put it best when he said My advice is this "For Christ's sake, don't write a book that is suitable for a kid of 12 years old, because the kids who read who are 12 years old are reading books for adults. I read all of the James Bond books when I was about 11, which was approximately the right time to read James Bond books"

sneed's feed and seed

I thought it was alright too, but never finished the series. I liked the Rangers Apprentice series.

It's not exactly YA but for some reason it gets mistaken for one all the time. It's like hunger games but better in every way possible

Why dont you just play the game?

Deltora Quest was pretty bugging. Midnight for Charlie Bone had a story that slaps.

Oh can't believe I forgot it but
>not starting your kids with the greeks
first series was far and away the peak

i read shit for kids when i was 11

am i brainlet

No.

Why do adults watch anime?

Yeah, The Magicians by Lev Grossman is good.

This, even though it's derivative.

arrested development+autism

Depends on how tight your definition of YA is. I personally consider obvious enemies (black/white morality) and superficial romances to be two defining traits of YA, so in general its all shit.

If you go by publisher labels I think there is quite a bit of worthwhile YA. Harry Potter is a very good read, as are His Dark Materials and Ender's Game.

My classification tends to place many adult books as YA because there is a lot of garbage fantasy with sex or swearing. Kushiels Dart is probably the most notable YA+Sex book out there. Elfhome also falls into that category but its so bad I don't think anyone has heard of it. Maybe 50 shades as well, but I haven't read it.

>Ender's Game
>obvious enemies (black/white morality)
Really makes you think.

Edge Chronicles
Deltora Quest
Anything by Garth Nix
Perfect books for young readers. However, once you're into real "YA", you're pretty much in a swamp.

Are you trying to imply that enders game has black and white morality?

>reading comprehension
The guy I responded to was saying that. He said it has to have black/white morality to be YA, and then he said Ender's Game was good YA.

Fuckk I remember Deltora Quest. I only got through half of the series tho. I guess theres an anime adaptation.

>>not starting your kids with the greeks

redwall is the GOAt

That's a literary idea that only comes around every thousand or so years user, or maybe never again, as it's a product of its time despite the subject matter being timeless in essence. I reckon if a YA novel can effectively emulate its theme of false heroism it won't be considered as such anymore

oh look it has cute little bunnies in it...

The Last Book in the Universe is fun.

No. The whole idea of adolescence in the West is bullshit. "Young adult" books are garbage by their own qualification. If literature is good it is inexhaustible. Someone on here was snarking about how bildungsroman is "young adult" and so complaints about young adult books are nulled as if fucking Eragon is in the same literary category and of the same literary stuff as Catcher in the Rye or fucking Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship. Young adult books are not literary. If they were they wouldn't require qualification. They simply serve to continue the Western extension of childhood further and further into a person's lifespan. Imagine asking if any "young adult music" or "young adult film" is any good. Just admit that you are afraid of adulthood. John Green can eat my ass.

Greeks, but this one.

how long have you struggled with autism?

The Catcher in the Rye?
I liked it when I was young but everyone who read it later said that he hated it.
I love Vonnegut.

patrician taste my friend

Ariel by Rodó

When I was in Middle School I really enjoyed the Bartimaeus trilogy, and Cirque Du Freak.

I'd say Artemis Fowl, the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel or BZRK.

Try the horus heresy. Start with Horus Rising, then False Gods, and then Galaxy in Flames. After that point you're free to go wherever, though I'd suggest One Thousand Sons.

I was a weird awkward kid, makes some kinda sense I eventually gravitated towards quality

A Series of Unfortunate Events is objectively the best YA series of the past 50 years. i'm surprised people ITT are sleeping on this, i mean, he has allusions to Pynchon for chrissakes.

Is it really young adult, though? I and many of my classmates read the series when we were in 4th grade.

All the allusions passed by me then, though. You think it'd be worth it to read the series again?

The forerunner trilogy is pretty good though as well as the two short stories compilation

Artemis Fowl is astonishingly good,give it a try

Cirque du Freak was solid.

The Rangers Apprentice series is a good read.

Literally everything mentioned ITT is trash.

I recall thoroughly enjoying this book back when I read it in 3rd grade.