Why did the greeks write tragedies...

Why did the greeks write tragedies? Wouldnt they rather hear feel good stories of heroes getting rich and living the good life?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Thailand_insurgency
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Read Aristotle.

Because failure teaches infinitely more than success ever could.

coul yu give an enstance of that happening

That's a rather large posterior.

A specific historical instance, or a hypothetical scenario?

im fine with both

ww2 leads to the creation of human rights
>inb4 /pol/

They did. But they all ended up in tragedy. Such is life in ancient Greece.

Historical instance: "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas Edison, after fucking up inventing the light-bulb 10,000 times

Hypothetical: If you were to apply to a number of jobs multiple times and be declined by all of them for being terrible at interviews, you would be better learned about the art of interviewing and presentation than if you had applied to a single job and been hired there immediately. Likewise, if you had asked out a dozen girls and been turned down by all of them before getting one, you would have discovered how to socialize better than if you simply got lucky with a single desperate girl.

would a second holocaust cause something greater

I thought ww2 was how we learned we need better showers and ovens next time.

BBBRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPFFFFFTTTT

ww2 caused a cluster fuck of insane ideologies to spread like disease. I would honestly be surprised if 100 years from now the world is even as close to as comfy as it is now.

there is not a single chance

every major country outside of japan and china are on the brink of civil conflict, and every single other country is going to remain shitty sans maybe thailand and vietnam

Thank you.

Top kek

oh m8 i am not laffin

People read tragedies so that they realise their life isn't that bad by comparison.

I've heard that the pagans had a tragic sense of life. The 2nd luckiest thing was to die young, the 1st luckiest was never to be born at all...

you dont s- I was going to say you dont say, but you did, kinda got me there

Why do people who live good lives want to watch movies about criminals and drug dealers, and tv shows about retards and rednecks

Because they're interesting and well written. Some of them.

basically what you are saying is: tragedies present cautionary tales (sometimes, or often): This is what not to do, because doing this led to tragedy.

google catharsis

life is tragic. Also you write better if you are in some kind of suffering.

Japanese society got a pretty bad disease lately called otakus and men who don't want to have children, they are not in good shape at all, maybe a bit better than western countries, but still, they'll be forced to embrace immigration because their natality rates are shrinking.

They aren't forced to do anything, in Europe for example immigration is only encouraged because companies need young and uneducated people for cheap labor but Japan is betting hard on robotics and automation to take care of that.
Japan has some serious societal problems but these problems aren't fixed by inviting unwanted strangers.

isn't there some kind of low-key civil war in thailand?

That's Burma/Myanmar

the last coup d'etat in thailand was in 2014, so it's not really free of civil conflict

I admitted it could go bad. but the scale of the conflict has been limited from the start and is confined to members of the ruling class

in america and europe normal people are itching to kill each other

big fucking difference

yep
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Thailand_insurgency

tragedy for times of peace
comedy for times of war

>stories of heroes getting rich and living the good life
The absolute state of materialists

MOM'S GONNA FREAK

One of the major problems currently in japanese society is the aging population and extremely low natality rate, estimates shows that in fifty years their population will fall by a third. So yes, they'll be practically be forced to accept those 'unwantes immigrants'. Even the right-wing there knows that and they even proposed on sankei that a system similar to the apartheid could be created when that moment comes.

Because that worked so well for 25% white South Africa, right?

>it's another islamic insurgency

The same thing applies to modern day life - we have Uncyclopedia, Encyclopedia Dramatica, Not Always Right, The Daily Mail, and Veeky Forums.

>carve a bunch of statues with small dicks
>put them everywhere
>find out everyone else has regular sized dicks
>too late to take the statues down

Why do you think they see tragedy everywhere?

You're sadly misinformed user, japans birthrate stabilized in 2005, it just doesn't intend to continue with boomer growth rates (as it shouldn't, because they have the highest population density per square meter in the world)

I'm sorry that your dream of seeing a blacked japan will never come to pass, mohammad.

How is lower birth rates a problem in a world of overpopulation and automation? The only reason to let in immigrants is to lower the average wages of the workers so the rich can get richer.

>I'm sorry that your dream of seeing a blacked japan will never come to pass, mohammad.

Haha.

I like you, you're a charismatic troll. For anyone truly wondering if what I said is true or not, just do quick google research on japanese birth rates and the future of their population in 50 years.

>japans has the highest population density per square meter in the world

It's been looked up, it's jewish bullshit misrepresenting japanese birthrates trying to flood their country with mudshits they don't want or need.

They have have 127 million people living in a place just bigger than idaho.
They need a third of their population to die off.

Somebody post the picture of that anti-trump rally in japan, where it was just a bunch of jewish expats blocking traffic.

Who is this semen demon?

Read The Birth of Tragedy

The Greeks loved all of life, and life is tragic.