What are the modern day equivalents of The Iliad and The Odyssey?

What are the modern day equivalents of The Iliad and The Odyssey?

Other urls found in this thread:

e-hentai.org/g/954646/b8ac3ee6b3/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Apocalypse Now and 2001, A Space Odyssey. Yes they're films, and adaptations.

The Iliad and Odyssey embodied Greek spirit and shaped western art and thought for millennia. Maybe 2% of the current first world has seen both 2001 and Apocalypse at all.

There aren't, because Homeric poems are set in a completely different worldview with themes such as fate (both), menis (Iliad) and metis (Odyssey).

damn thats malia?

Twin Peaks Seasons 1-2 and Twin Peaks: The Return

They are both terrible.

The Iliad was the story of heroes and tragedy, of pride and it's consequences, it set the tone for what Greeks believed throughout their ancient past. I'd say the myths surrounding WWII fit that role for post war westerners, though there isn't a single story that really fits that criteria. As for the Odyssey I don't think we have one, the Odyssey is about a quest for home, and westerners today really aren't sure what home is (much less trying to return to it).

The Dark Knight and the Dark Knight Rises

It’s undeniable 2001 was a massive influence on sci fi

Unironically Tails Gets Trolled.
>Tails Gets Trolled is a postironic masterpiece, an Iliad for the digital age. It's a clusterfuck of revenge fantasy, shonen anime, and self-aware DeviantArt humor, and you owe it to yourself as a citizen of the Internet to read it.

e-hentai.org/g/954646/b8ac3ee6b3/

That's pretty miserable when compared to Homer.

Obama's daughters are hot as fuck

This

Begone, pleb

>people actually think tv and movies have value culturally beyond being products
>people think lynch isn't a pedophile hack
>people can into a show set in a city run by crooked cops and populated with jock heroin addict baseball players who beat a gay kid to death with baseball bats in the 90's
lol pleb

>e-hentai.org/g/954646/b8ac3ee6b3/

Jesus Christ, what the fuck hahahahahaha

I finally foun where all those reaction images come from.

Give it a couple thousand years

Ore no my diary dess

Iliad and Odyssey

The 'modern day equivalents' are The Holy Bible (KJV) and the complete works of Shakespeare. Maybe The Divine Comedy too. We're still living in their world.

“Dante and Shakespeare divide the world between them. There is no third.”

― T.S. Eliot

I'm not happy about it, but it's Star Wars.

Fight Club
American Beauty
Fallout New Vegas
Grand Theft Auto 4

In this case, it's Harry Potter. Pretty much everyone under 30 has read it/seen it.

>shaped western art and thought for millennia.
How would the modern day equivalent of anything do that?