Is optimistic nihilism the defining philosophy for the millenial demographic?

Is optimistic nihilism the defining philosophy for the millenial demographic?

youtube.com/watch?v=MBRqu0YOH14

Don't reply to spambots

DO NOT reply to spambots

anybody below this line got TROLLED

hey

fuk

Just watch Neil de Grasse tyson videos and post on Reddit until the end of fucking time

Shit like this is produced by bourgeois think tanks to make the middle class complacent while the rich steals all their fucking money and uses literal slaves in the third world to make their trendy glitter iPhone cases.

Go sit in a park with your sweetie! (DON'T HAVE ONE, ALL SOCIAL RELATIONS HAVE DEGENERATED TO ORGYPORGY PROLEFEED NIGHTMARE)

Take Facebook tweet selfies of your stupid bullshit! (ENDLESSLY FOCUS ON DAY-TO-DAY PETTY SOCIALIZING AND LASCHIAN NARCISSISTIC GRANDSTANDING ON SOCIAL MEDIA, ALL HUMAN RELATIONSHIPS HAVE BEEN REDUCED TO LITERALLY PREHISTORICAL LEVELS OF HYPERGAMY IN A WHIRLING GYRE OF MEANINGLESS TINDER FACEFUCKING FOR THE SELECT FEW AND ELLIOT RODGER RESENTMENT FOR THE REST)

Consume trendy garbage and eat cool food :P!!!! (LITERALLY CHINESE NIGGER SLAVES MADE YOUR STUPID BULLSHIT "THINKGEEK.COM" BAUBLES AND DESIGNER STRETCHPANTS, IN ENDLESS WASTELANDS THAT RESEMBLE THE FACTORIES OF INDUSTRIAL ENGLAND MARX WROTE ABOUT IN COMPLETE HORROR)

These people are trying to thought control you into passively reclining and injecting low-effort Mythbusters reddit filth into your brain and ignoring the dull ache of meaninglessness and consumerist overstimulation from inhaling high fructose corn syrup and salt all fucking day

"Optimistic nihilism" is what rich faggots pay slightly less rich faggots to convince lumpenproles to think they're experiencing when they work in a cubicle for 45 years to finance a lifestyle of watching proles modify Nerf guns and design "man caves". Turn off the Youtube and develop some tastes and moral preferences taht an algorithm designed by Amazon can't predict and use to predict your entire life befoer you've evn lived it you peice of fucking shit

found the marxist

dude its all meaningless and shit

this is why im a friendless gfless NEET

science validates my life choices guys

yall just dont get it

why did i decide to read these comments

I don't mind optimistic nihilism in general, but most who adhere to it are turd burglars. If it got some better theorists it may be worth a look.

I'm not going to watch this video no matter how many times you post it.

Holy fucking shit. This video is so retarded and relies completely on ignoring the logical outcomes that the philosophy uses to undermine the problem of pain and evil.

name a theorist who self-identifies as a nihilist

name a philosopher (Camus doesn't count as a philosopher) that would unironically come up with a philosophy like that

Nietzsche spoke about Nihilism and he also talked about some sort of good nihilism where it ended up creating thing instead making you stuck in a huge depression.

Nietzsche wasn't a philosopher

try again friend

Ray Brassier

But they already have names.

Can you name one of the logical outcomes being ignored?

Yeah, he wasn't a philosopher. He was a baker.

all of them

Name one

>there's no point to life and there are no values whatsoever
>but you get bonus points for doing stuff that I like

I hope this becomes a pasta, jfc

>there are gazillions of planets and stars and shit
The only person that will get "existential dread" from this shit is a coddled baby.
No matter how many planets there are, this is still the one we live on, and and stuff that happens here matters to us.

If most of the population are coddled babies, we are enforced to work with this as presumption. Can't use our own personal experience here, specially given the success of that channel.

>There are no values/meaning
>You should just do whatever you feel is good
Why does people pretend that hedonism is not a meaning?

>please take what we say with a grain of salt
>"no" said Veeky Forums

He’s right, you know.

Books to describe this feel?

You’re unironically too smart for this board. If everyone thought like this maybe we could reject mass media culture and reshape society into something more human-friendly. I wouldn’t hold my breath though

There is an existential dread to be felt from the sheer size and variety of the universe we live in. It’s not invalid. But to say everything that happens here is meaningless is objectively incorrect. The universe is filled with equally “meaningless” things, yet you’re here. You think. You feel. You interact. And those emotions and that perspective are just as valid as anything else in the whole of reality. Nihilism that uses “dude the universe lmao” as a crutch instead of as a source of inspiration and drive is just looking for an excuse to crawl into a hole and die.

tfw to smart for society

I hate this video because it is POPULAR and ATTRACTIVE

more like STUPID and GAY

What do you mean when you say that it's 'attractive'? They visual style of the video or the presented concept? Because to me both seems ugly and immature.

ayy

Anything written by Lasch, Debord or Michéa (if you’re French).

The Society of the Spectacle
Comments on The Society of the Spectacle
Being and Time

Extension Du Domaine De La Lutte

ITT: /leftypol/ meets /r9k/
because the reason you can't get laid is the hyperconsumerist society of spectacle LMFAO

It is presented in a visually appealing way.

>muh orgy porgy

That is one of the most depressing images I've ever seen

The 0.01% who push this shit truly are lower than rats

Why's the idea of nihilism so appealing to this new crop of normalfags?

Are they actual nihilists or just hedonists wearing the term as a fashion accessory?

I always said everyone was a nihilist at heart and when they are sufficiently comfortable with their lives they are going to throw every "uneeded" thing out of the window.

we are all, without exception, heavily influenced by nihilism (e. g., anti-metaphysical, anti-religious egoism)

True the universe is nothing but a consistent pattern of observations anyways. There is nothing to be afraid of. If anything we are afraid of our human perception of our environment. Many are scared of the human cognitive faculty as well as the depths of imagination even if there is no good reason for this.

See
They know they've lost control of their lives, so tell themselves that nothing matters anyway to try and deaden the pain.

Talk for yourself, I am afraid of a gamma ray burst obliterating Earth just because the universe decided for an extremely high energy beam to spawn (I am not really well versed in the science behind them)

>Are they actual nihilists or just hedonists wearing the term as a fashion accessory?
There is no practical difference since, current year-wise, nihilism is the opium of the people.

its the other way around.

normies, who are satisfied with their lives, are the actual nihilists, meaning they feel no or little need for metaphysics, spirituality, religion or philosophy. they do not try to understand the world, they enjoy it.

unhappy, overly intellectual people are the opposite of nihilists. they crave for explanations and things to believe in.

Might I dare add, from the people, by the people, eagle? Eh? Eh?

>who are satisfied with their lives
Boy I can't wait to pay the bills.

>current year-wise, nihilism is the opium of the people.
unironically made me think

but these people are happy. they genuinely enjoy their lives of trivial entertainment.

>lives
*spare time

You are overestimating the facade. Both actual data and anecdotal evidence from browsing normiebook will show a plethora of mental issues, therapy sessions and existential dread smeared all over society. It's quite hip for your life to mean zip today; alas, this obviously does not bring satisfaction (joy perhaps, but not satisfaction).

Although there is no practical difference here, I suppose it could be said hedonists actually mean it when they want to maximize happiness, whereas these people are merely escaping and attempting to minimize dread. So it would be a practical similarity with a difference on outlook: the nihilistic millenials are not pursuing pleasure, they are running away from depression.

Your mistake bro, i'm so sorry.

I think that would be ok if something like that happens. At least the universe is truly moral and just.

It is hedonism laced with an accidental disregard for the true nature of the choices they make, they hate the consequences, cry, openly scorn existence, yet return to their original hedonistic behaviour, in that sense, they are nihilists in action not nature.

This.

nueroticism is the primary mental ailment of these individuals, not a genuine organic imbalance, but the plague of the knowledge they're wasting their lives.

>Brassiere

>reshape society into something more human-friendly
Read Industrial Society and its Future. Quick read.

>Suffering doesn't matter because it will be forgotten
>but not our happiness lol. That is ok

because it is a very easy train of thought to follow in a postmodern world while still being decievely edgy, transgressive and "meta"

nowadays being meta is what everything is all about, just look at the amount of effort put into breaking the 4th wall and making references in pop culture

Perhaps, but doesn't matter if it's genuine or not right? We're back to the Spectacle all over again lol

he never claimed that it mattered, he said that if nothing matters in the end, then why not spend the briefness of existence doing what brings pleasure?

I do agree that the last bit about "extra points" made no sense and was a cheap way to end the video in a positive note

i am spending my life reading contemporary post-structuralist philosophy, reading existentialist and sci-fi novels, books on art history and theory, watching arthouse movie classics, working on a high fantasy comic with my brother ...

and i often get the feeling that im wasting my life and should be going out, getting wasted, fucking a different girl every night instead

>then why not spend the briefness of existence doing what brings pleasure?
Because it doesn't matter, dotard.

THIS.
Kierkegaard was right.

so you can only pursue pleasure if there is an ultimate reason behind it? are you the kind of people who read books only to get smarter?

Do you understand it is coherent to acknowledge the lack of purpose in existence while still following hedonistic values imposed by the chemistry of your brain?

The people doing what you crave, it seems, are also at unease and thinking they are wasting themselves away. The problem is deeper than any particular habit, it's a whole mindset permeating all over.

So life just sucks no matter what?

i dont get that feeling tbqh. whenever i hint at that i have some knowledge about philosophy or art in conversation with normies, they laugh it off as obscure "nerd knowledge". they do not believe that humanities have something to do with their lives.

recently, i went on a vacation with some normie acquiantances. the destination was notable for being a protestant stronghold during the middle ages. whenever i tried to switch the topic of conversation towards protestantism and its long-lasting implications for life in europe, they acted highly disinterested. we talked about whiskey, self-made burgers and business-related stuff the whole vacation.

Already have. Nobody will take it seriously because Ted mailed some unfriendly packages but its redpilled as fuck.

>lives
Their lives involve sitting around and staring into flickering rectangles all day and selling their health and free time to the people above them on the social ladder for the right to survive. Their escapism involves feeling happy in the same way a hit of opioids or a bottle of bourbon makes them feel happy. So they cling to it and suckle on it like a baby on its mothers tit because the consumer media is the only happy factor in their socially detatched, sexually deprived lives. May the porg be with you.

Could you do anything to stop it? Would you feel anything if it happened? No. So don't stress out about it. You might as well worry about the universe being a false vacuum and popping at any given time like a bubble in boiling water.

Redpilled

Blackpilled transcendent

>in their socially detatched, sexually deprived

thats my life, actually.
the life of the people i described above are almost oversaturated with communication and sex.

my 17yo nephew asked me when the last time i had a threesome was, since his "was cash".

That is in your hands, it is actions of a nature that proceed the need for such hedonistic behvaiour, the only reason this man watches cartoons and eats colourful cereal is a product of dissatisfaction. You engaging in your stated hobbies not to placate feelings, but formulate them, is not a waste of time, the attempt to crush and not replace hedonistic behaviour is a waste of time.

Yin and Yang. Oversexed and overstimulated and undersexed and overstimulated. Its all stimulation and it all fries your brain. The human brain was never meant to function in a mass media environment. One hour on google images and you can see more tits than your ancestors did in their entire lives.

>Would you feel anything if it happened?
For a split second, supposedly

it is pasta, did you miss the last 4 optimistic nihilism bait threads?

It's beyond any pill. He tackles the only subject any intellectuals are too coward to approach. Everyone praises honesty but when you read something as honest as ISAIF, you realize why. But you read it, so you know. I found ISAIF extremely liberating. Feelings of despair evaporate when you're confronted with the ultimate reality of society and freedom. They cannot coexist. Doom is impendent. The only sentiment left is struggle.

You would die almost instantly. Your nervous system couldn't process what happened in that time.