What are Veeky Forums's thoughts on Phillip K Dick? I am a huge admirer of his work

What are Veeky Forums's thoughts on Phillip K Dick? I am a huge admirer of his work.

Why is there every single day a PKD thread on Veeky Forums that pretends that there aren't PKD threads on Veeky Forums every single day ?

Disagree with his entire philosophy. A sad man.

Explain further.

A huge admirer of his dick desu senpai

I've read six of his books, is Valis worth reading? It seems to be quite different from his other work

It follows the same theme as most of his other works.

Nice digits though

Allright, thanks dude.

after a long spell of indolence, his books got me back into reading. he was a pretty good christian, desu.

ranked:
>Three Stigmata
>Ubik
>Flow My Tears
>A Scanner Darkly
>VALIS trilogy
>Now Wait for Last Year
>High Man in the Dick Castle
>Dr. Bloodmoney
>A Maze of Death
>Do Androids Dream...?

>Martian Time-Slip

psh... there *might* be one PKD thread a week.

I'm a huge Phillip K Dick

Read the first quarter of 'Do Androids...' this morning. This is my first time trying Dick. Enjoyable thus far. What should I hit next? Thinking either Ubik, or The Man in the High Castle. Let yo niqqa know.

Now wait for last year - That abrupt ending (read it in a collection) caught me offguard, in a good way.
So I would pull A Scanner Darkly 2 places down.

>The Exegesis should rank 1st, but hey your pic kinda did.

Takes me back lad

i really liked martian time slip. what did you dislike so much about it?

funny you mention that; "now wait for last year" is one of my favorite PKD stories — the way in which he describes a toxic marriage is perfect. personally, i would have it at #3 or #4. however, i tried to be as objective as possible.

i like the Library of America order, which is:
>Man in the High Castle
>Three Stigmata
>Do Androids Dream...?
>Ubik

i think you do have to develop a heavy tolerance for PKD's style before Ubik, because his unique, brilliant failures as a writer really come through in it. "Do Androids..." and "Man in the High Castle" are more stable, but IMO more mediocre.

desu i can't remember it at all. i can at least remember one thing from a PKD story, but all i recall is that there's a little boy with special powers...? something about a hospital or abandoned building ... it was really forgettable.

>because his unique, brilliant failures as a writer really come through in it
What specifically do you mean?
Ubik is the second book of his I read and I've been thinking of rereading it because honestly I don't remember much of it.

I really enjoy his novels. Not so much his short stories. Ubik gave me a panic attack in the middle of class, so I suppose it's my favorite?

listened to audiobook it's like Veeky Forums in audio form

when my belief in Christianity died I quit reading him

One of the few Sci-fi writers worth reading.

He had a handful of decent of ideas but as a writer he just wasn't very good. Three Stigmata is his best, and the other rankings given in this thread are more or less correct. Good job everyone.

VALIS is fantastic. Falls apart a bit by the end but what do you expect from a man like Dick.

not bad for a brain-fried speed freak, but wow it showed in the manner that a lot of his sentences just went on and on and on and of course there's his obsession with german philosophy. he should have stuck to weed and nitrous oxide - he might have become a half-way decent Thomas Pynchon understudy.

> wears Rozz Toxx t-shirt
>
> doesn't follow the Theory of Obscurity

Yea, pretty much this.

There is no escape