What is your greatest culinary achievement, Veeky Forums?

What is your greatest culinary achievement, Veeky Forums?

Attached: 1520594994462.gif (480x360, 3.95M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/6e3z2H1O5zE
allrecipes.com/recipe/70320/galaktoboureko/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

deez nuts

Made some maple brown sugar bacon beans. Pretty good.

I made 50+ creampuffs for a friend's wedding.

I made the thinly sliced meme Ratatouille for 15 people with a broken hand. It took me three hours just to slice everything since I don't have a mandolin.

I have yet to burn my house down

some pad thai

I made a full meal of Beef Wellington with hand-rolled puff pastry dough and ground beef (since I'm too poor to afford Filet Mignon) served with cheddar cheese fried potatoes, brussel sprouts and a mushroom gravy. Best thing I've made / eaten to this date, although that was only like a week ago so that's not saying much.

roasted a duck for my family's christmas dinner

When I was a child, a friend of mine was so fond of an egg dish I made up that he requested I give him a batch for his birthday.

making a really good french omelette

red wine Braised shortribs on gorganzola polenta
with a gremolata. I nailed everything; it's been about 10 years and my friends still bring that dinner up.

Took 3 tabs of acid and made a roast dinner for a house full of trippers. It was amazing at the time but it would be nice to have a sober control group to taste test it.

worked the line at a james beard awarded resturant

worked as a sous chef in another really popular place

make my own mayo at home every week

have killed multiple rabbits by hand, skinned them and made really awesome meal from them

make dank breakfast every morning

pic related

Attached: breakfast.jpg (640x640, 57K)

Did Thanksgiving dinner all by myself for my friends
turkey
gravy
mashed potatoes with butter and sour cream
stirfried brussels sprouts with Chinese bacon
regular and jalapeno cornbread
Cranberry sauce, salad, and pie for dessert were store bought

either when my friends said my pasta with meat sauce was like crack or the time I made food that matched one of my favorite restaurants, havn't been able to make it since

Very nice user.
Be proud.

I made bread.

>an egg dish
Why on earth would you not share what the dish is?

I mean really...

It's like replying, "oh yeah I cooked something once, came out great."

Attached: 1500093454239.gif (320x240, 1.58M)

I don't want to brag but I cooked a pretty good blanquette de veau once.

I can finally caramelize onions properly

Are those pepper slices with the seeds on...can you do that?

When Im on tabs food is such a chore to eat. It taste good for the bite and a half and then chewing and swallowing feels like a marathon, and the texture feels so foriegn. I just have to eat up before I trip, y'all crazy.

so 4 hours?

I went from a ramen and quesadilla chef to making these completely from scratch in one semester of school. It all started when my mother bought me an instant pot, it made cooking seem so much easier that I started trying to make new things and started caring about cooking.

Attached: 20180314_203838.jpg (4032x3024, 3.56M)

>make my own mayo
woop de fucking doo

>ketchup
Stop that.

I cooked something relatively complicated yesterday and when it finished cooking my worktop was empty and clean. I know it's not about the food per se, but frankly i'm quite proud that i'm getting to this point in terms of organisation.

>op gif
there's a solution
youtu.be/6e3z2H1O5zE

Attached: 71ObbDhPkpL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 175K)

>fucking ketchup spiral
OUI CHEF!

We had a potluck for thanksgiving at work once, and I did some mashed potatoes, which is just about the only thing I can cook. Fed the 30+ with about 10 bucks worth of ingredients.

secret ive learned keeps you from having to hover over a stove for hours

>set oven to 350F
>throw sliced onions into dutch oven
>put into oven with lid slightly ajar
>check every 30~45 minutes to stir and scrap the bottom
>remove when onions are at desired level of caramelization

I do this with 5 or 6 big onions at a time to get enough to fill a quart jar then use over the next month for pizza, sandwiches, crackers and cheese, soup, whatever.

Just being able to work in fast-paced, high-volume kitchens while keeping all my shit together and getting my tickets out on time.

One of the best things I ever made I think was a smoked whitefish salsa that I improvised to bring to a company party (company was all foodies as it was a gourmet food distributor) and everyone liked it.

I just enjoy cooking for the sake of cooking. Even simple, easy dishes give me pride.

Don't know about the greatest, but my personal favorite is tortierre.
It is a Canadian meat pie.

Attached: Recipe_905x509__0007_Tourtiere.jpg (905x509, 105K)

Pot pies are good.

Knowing how to make excellent, high-quality meals on a poorfag budget.

Nothing, because an uneducated peasant can do it all.

That sounds really nice

>have killed multiple rabbits by hand, skinned them and made really awesome meal from them

Well that took a fucking turn

>greatest culinary achievement
I do not culinary only achievement. I make best sushi worth more than what you have in bank account now.

GIB RECIPES PLEASE

Tried pan frying a thick cut pork chop once and it came out great. I could not duplicate the results after the 1st attempt for some reason though.

I also got down home made cookies, but I haven't done it in a year.

I'm quite good at making duck breast if I do say so myself. Every time I make it, my guests are amazed.

making my mom happy

she's always been kind of an unhappy person and difficult to shop for. since i've started cooking more, i surprise her with her favorite homemade desserts when i get a chance to see her, and her reaction seems more genuine than anything else i've seen before. for mother's day i'm going to make her a pan of galaktoboureko, a favorite from when she was growing up.

how much u buy ur duck breasts and what breed?

made a meal for a couple girls and they liked it

maybe she's mad you left her all alone how about that?

>galaktoboureko
if it comes out good post recipe, that is literally my favorite dessert. Gourge myself on them at the greekfest in my town each year

I flipped an omelette without using my whole body to generate momentum

I apparently make very good sunny-side up fried egg, considering my family, my gf, her family, and our friends always prefer mine the most

>americans are this retarded

When I figured out that cooking grilled cheese or any melt sandwich on medium-low heat for about 5 mins per side makes them perfectly crunchy and evenly golden-brown. Being patient has always been very difficult.

i made it for her once before and she really liked it, i'd never had it though so i don't know how good it actually was compared to traditional stuff. the recipe makes a lot so i snuck a little and i thought it was great.

i saw some anons last week talking about chocolate galaktoboureko, so i'm going to do half traditional and half chocolate custard this time.

this is the recipe i used:
allrecipes.com/recipe/70320/galaktoboureko/

God i love America

What did you mean by that?
Are you saying that it's only been a week and so you'll soon make a dish that's even better, or are you saying that you've only been alive for a week and so that's the only culinary experience you've had so far, so saying it's the best you've ever had is not saying much.
?

You used to crank the heat to max and shorten the cooking time to compensate right?

Lost my shit at this
Both cooks at my current place (glorified burger joint) are formally trained and I really want to hit em with a good OUI CHEF next time they tell me to do something with a bucket of mayo, but they might cry or fire me.

This

Not max, but still too high. I'd put a pot lid over the sandwich to help melt the cheese in the shorter cooking time.

Technically it's probably attaining the title of head chef. Personally, I'd say my ramen broths and tares are my greatest achievements.

Real talk now

Attached: DF3F038B-FA01-4B50-A231-66D879D52B66.jpg (455x348, 55K)

I invented a chili pepper powder that appeased my tastes as well as my GF (and her family, my friends, and some strangers) who cannot handle capsacin.

I make it yearly for the holidays, I always need to make more than I anticipate.

Attached: 1966862_10153085987147723_171651296976719433_n.jpg (960x528, 94K)

So cumin, paprika, onion and garlic powder, and oregano?

Simple food like pizza, pasta and burritos but all of my friends love it and always ask for more.

I can make really good canele now, normie friends are impressed.

Attached: 20180321_215921-1.jpg (2582x1936, 895K)

since i turned 18 my family has done this "family anniversary" type thing, where we have always made a point to all gather at my parents' place and hang out and talk and whatever. it feels like another holiday almost because everybody always gets together on this day, which obviously happens to be my birthday. i get bday gifts and then its just a day with my siblings and parents and i honestly love it and it's super fun.
when we celebrated this last time, i made steak diane for my parents, two brothers, sister, and her husband (and obviously myself). i had never made it before but it turned out FANTASTIC. they were really impressed by the fire from the cognac sauce, and the meal turned out to be amazing too. steak diane with garlic mashed potatoes and roasted root vegetables, it was amazing, and we just got drunk after and watched various movies together and hung out. i legitimately used to be a NEET so i was really proud of myself for this as it was the first time i saw them all since i got a job and went back to school. felt really good about myself and my family was proud of me for getting my shit together. i dont think anything will ever top this

Attached: 1499914858005.gif (200x200, 6K)

I ate spaghetti for lunch and dinner every day for a month straight because costco had a special on 4-packs of pasta and 4-packs of sauce for 5 dollars each and I bought ten

I don't eat breakfast.

10/10 perfect macarons. I was so proud

made a christmas turkey

never
fucking
again

nigga I was like 4 fucking hours fighting to get that shit done, at the end it was delicious and everybody like it, yet I sworn to never cook one again, so I prepare simpler dishes now

Those look great. I've never tried making them because I don't have the molds. But I've heard they can take a lot of tries to get just right. Did you end up using the chefsteps recipe?

What was so hard about it? All you have to do is slather it in herb butter, shove some aromatics up its butt and throw it in the oven. Brining is a little extra work but not that much.

I have become the rice whisperer. I made a Puerto Rican Christmas dinner with pernil, pasteles, and arroz con gandules that impressed my sister-in-law's hot Nantucket chef brother. He asked me to make at least one of these dishes every Christmas.

Why is it always on your birthday?

I was 17 and by that time I was very clumsy and disorganized in the kitchen, I suppouse that if I tried to make another now I´ll probably won't have much problems like the last time.

I managed to not overcook a steak once.

They were mighty tasty, I would have had inside pictures too but myself and my friend's ate them too fast. I tried three different recipes before I broke down and did the chefs step recipe, it took a further five batches of batter to get it right for my elevation. So all in all it took me making 6 daily for about two and a half months. I also use the white oil stuff to grease the molds with.

it started off as a joke kinda where my dad was like "user, youre a man now, lets celebrate with your first beers with the family", then the next year i told my dad it was my 1 year anniversary of being a man and we did it again, then the year after that all my siblings happened to be in town and i asked them if they would help me celebrate my 2nd anniversary of being a man and they said yes, and we have been doing it ever since
i really enjoy it

That's pretty cool user, I only ask that you cherish your time with your family and make the absolute most of it

Oh yeah. If I tried to make a turkey at 17 I would've been frazzled too. I bet if you tried it again you would be pretty surprised at how simple it is.