Lit´s opinion on Umberto Eco?

i have read 1000+ pages of Eco and so i am being fair when i say that if all of his writings were to vanish from the face of the earth, the loss would be slight.
Pynchon and Borges did what he tried to do and they did it better.
don't get me wrong i think Eco is just fine as a writer, but he is not exceptional. He is the sort of writer who i hate most because he is not entirely worthless in fact i like some of his stuff a lot. the problem is for every 5 good pages he has 50 mediocre ones

Frasier-core.

pretty much this
I've read The Name of the Rose, Foucault's Pendulum, The Prague Cemetery, Baudolino, and Numero Zero, and as much as I enjoyed all of them I simply can't reread them. Despite the fascinating subject matter the prose and characters are just terrible, beyond even William Weaver's saving. They're great to discuss, ok to read, and impossible to reread. I think what motivates most people to read him is a lack of awareness on the historical periods and subjects he discusses, which can be interesting, but if you subtract that learner's curiosity there isn't much left to his work

did you think Foucault´s Pendulum is Eco´s response to the Illuminatus Trilogy?, there´s so many similarities between these two books, could be that Aglie´s is the deconstruction of the Hagbard character?

at least you had to admit he´s a good storyteller, idk but i feel his books has a cinematic quality to it, i could be wrong, idk

Didn't even finish the Name of the Rose. Can't think of any specific examples right now but the very, very modern moralising of the monks and le ebin deduction meme plagiarised from Sherlock Holmes bored me about 100 pages in. I haven't looked at anything else but from the glowing rep he has among people who just want to show off their bookshelves I think he's overrated

Really overrated but not bad, just eh

I wouldnt say he had a bad prose. Did you read it in english?

>its perfect in its original meme

basically the bad guy of the book is someone who resembles Borges

in italian and english

I like him, but I don't consider this board my home nor reading a hobby that characterizes my identity in any way lmao

Its quicker if you just say you're a redditor

what's your take on Calvino?

so, upper-middle middlebrow

Ah shit ya got me

a better essayist and literary critic than novelist

he didn't even say this, he just asked a question. way to yell you are a defensive monolingual burgerlord

please recommend some of his essays

also accept recs of italian essays in general

DILF

I very much enjoyed reading Foucault's Pendulum while in a mental hospital.

Agreed, your post made me realize despite having an okay time reading him I have no interest in rereading Eco at all.

Can't say I ever really connected Aglie to Hagbard before. The thing about Illuminatus! is that it's actually fun and funny, FP tries to do something similar but fails. That's why I've reread Illuminatus! four times.

The one book of his that I really like is On Ugliness.

The Open Work is a pretty essential piece of art/literary criticism

italian dan brown

Quite nice, not exactly a favorite but I appreciate what he was aiming for. How to Travel With a Salmon is worth a chuckle.

I've never read Umberto or Dan Brown: the post.

don't like his voice but the Decemberists have some good songs

Granita is his best work.

>discounter Borghes
>discounter Calvino
>discounter Murakami
>shake with ice
>serve chilled

I really enjoyed The Name of the Rose. Mainly because it introduced me to some subjects I knew nothing about. Medieval heresies, the Franciscan debate on poverty, Pope John XXII and his battles with Louis the Bavarian and most importantly for me Fra Dolcino.

I also enjoyed the murder mystery and the Sherlock Holmes pastiche.

I was at his funeral

I'm about to read his "Chronicles of a Liquid Society," his collection of essays about world-observations. Picked that up instead of his fiction because people good at prose-philosophy that do fiction tend to be stale. Seems like I was right in my assumption that his fiction is stale lol

faux upper middlebrow

>unironically being a terrone di merda in anno domini 2017

Your post is autological.