What are some jobs you can do with an English major?

What are some jobs you can do with an English major?
Who on Veeky Forums majored in English and what are you doing for a living?

lol

My brother majored in English and is now a helper for the retard class at my local middle school.

I'm majoring in English and I learn how to program in my free time, so I don't die of hunger.

My sister majored in English, got hired at a government job for 50k/yr but she quit for grad school. I'm pretty sure she'll be alright lol

Sounds miserable

Jezebels etc.

>Who on Veeky Forums majored in English and what are you doing for a living?
I want to ask the same but about linguistics.

wouldnt it have been more economical to study CS and read in your free time
computational linguistics is an in-demand field

I graduated from a fairly prestigious American university in 2011 with an English degree. Not an Ivy League but in the second tier of private schools. As an undergrad I considered getting a masters and doctorate and trying to find a teaching position. Several of my professors even suggested this and told me the job market for literature professors is tough but that someone at my level (frequent contributor to journals even as a student, etc) would have no problem. I wanted to, or at least part of me did, and I spent about a year working at a literary agency in New York to make some money and think things over.

I was back in my hometown for Christmas in 2012 when I ran into a friend from high school. We hadn't kept in touch and I was surprised to see him dressed in a pretty nice suit and with a nice watch. I asked what he was doing and his answer shocked me. "Koreans, user," he said. "I sell used books to the Koreans." It took a little more prodding, but eventually he explained how the business worked. See, South Koreans are absolutely obsessed with 19th century British literature, especially Victorian poetry. A Housman collection that you could buy for a dollar here sells for around $400, and that's just a mid range item. The bigger stuff, like Hopkins and Rossetti, can get into the thousands.

Needless to say I dropped the idea of grad school immediately. I'm now making six figures in the used book game, not just to Korea but Thailand and Laos too. It feels good, but especially since I freed up what was basically a guaranteed spot teaching in a top university for someone else. You're welcome.

Anything superior to STEM because STEMtards are retards (redundant) who can only follow instructions without innovating.

>computational linguistics is an in-demand field
Does anyone here actually work there?
On a related note, who should I consult about things like that? Just write to random students? I really don't know.

good post

I leech off of various women and tutor kids classical guitar while running from writing gigs and playing in a jazz band (trombone) in the bunt of a city.

This is true. STEM never innovates or evolves.

Posted from my iRock in my cave.

STEMfag here, to be fair most of us (me included) are genuine windowlicking retards who are looking to get a comfy job where we don't have to do much. That being said I do have a few friends who are going to make something of themselves and they're so smart it scares me sometimes.

Stem is tard, but only because its a meme to drive down already tardedly depressed wages because of Bindis. STEM if you are a third worlder without Bindi competition. Unless of course you are a Bindi.

I'm assuming no one here actually has a degree then

factory work, service industry, cleaner / street sweeper.. it's wide open.

Sounds like a hoot

To add to this I guess, anyone here have a degree in philosophy? I'm in electrical engineering and it's alright I guess, i would much rather my university education be based around reading and writing than solving equations and making circuits though. Sometimes I wish I went into liberal arts instead, even though I'm really good with math and science.

I laughed

asskek?

>Does anyone here actually work there?
Computational linguistics is all fuzzy logic and questionable quasi mathematics, with no linguistic theory applied anywhere. People are developing computational methods to translate language now, without any understanding of the language they are translating.

Surprisingly original. Unless this is something I missed.

Now that’s what I call a job!

So is he like your personal assistant or something?

i majored in english

i am depressed and broke

I started out in EE because I have an autistic obsession with circuits but ultimately my autistic obsession with retarded shit like metaphysics and muh liberty took precedence

I plan on either law school or breaking into advertising. I've already got an internship lined up. There's still plenty for people with lib arts degrees to do desu senpai, our degrees are really no less in demand than a run of the mill business or marketing degree.

employers just need smart people who can use their discretion when it matters. Obviously a technical skill like coding and will put you at a premium in the market but it sounds aidsy to me to spend my life coding because its not enjoyable in the least imo

I'm majoring in English right now, and also plan to go to law school.
I have heard so many horror stories about law. It's expensive as hell, and the market isn't that great, and the hours can be long depending on what you do.
But it interests me and I think I'll enjoy it. My fear is that if for whatever reason it doesn't work out, I'm stuck with an English degree to fall back on.

To say that the law market isn't great is to understate the problem by orders of magnitude. The market has been flooded by mom & pop style law schools who get accredited and pump out debt-laden lawyers for whom there is no space, nor will they compete with the myriad legitimate attorneys who've already established themselves.

Some people say "T20, HYS, etc. or bust." I'm not sure I follow that mantra but there is certainly truth to it. It'd be ideal to matriculate to the most "prestigious" school you can, mostly because law is full of prestige whores. Then again, not everyone wants to go straight into big law or build a career there.

Personally, I'll be happy to work for the indigent making $60k/yr insofar as my impact outweighs my salary. Maybe that's naive to say, but I've been helped pro bono by too many bleeding hearts and I myself am a giant faggot bleeding heart, so I think I'll be happy. But buyer beware on the law school thing, the jury is kind of out and it's not smart to do unless you can't imagine yourself doing anything else.

I just don't want to go 150K into debt and work for 60k a year and have to pay it off by going to a small market.
I want to get into a top 15 school or not at all. It's expensive, but they're the ones most likely to get you into the biglaw places that will help you live comfortably while paying off the debt.

I'm gonna marry my gf probably next year, so she'll be working too, but still, shit's expensive for a job in a bad market.

But it's the best bet I got, isn't it?

Just gamble with shitcoins, major in whatever you want to

2nd year rural solo practitioner here

Made 84k after business expenses last year
Made 132k so far this year

Work from 9-330 M-F with an hour lunch

I take criminal and child in need of care appointments, and do all of the estate planning work that comes in the door until my schedule is full

Law market is bad in bigger cities, good outside of them.

Has anyone here gone to HSC in Virginia by some kind of miracle? Not sure what to major in yet.

I was an English major. Now I’m a locomotive engineer.

I'm a philosophy major who spends more time studying literature than philosophy. I'm probably going to NEET after school and spend all of my time learning coding and financial mathematics so I can stay at home and make money from automated trading. I've already taken a ton of math classes but didn't major in it because I didn't want to take physics (a requirement) because I hate labs.

Linguistic theory is completely irrelevant in that field, and you will be surrounded by people who don't read anything other than newspapers.

Can you tell me more?
Where did you study if you don't mind me asking? Can you elaborate on how you got to where you are? Thanks

t. brainlet

lawfag here, this is goals

What is your situation like? I didn't know there were so many lawyers on here. I'm curious to know how their paths turned out to give me ideas of what to expect

Sure thing. I went to KU for my JD, I got into Northwestern with a small scholarship, but it was free to go there.

There's 2 different routes you can go: solo or firm/gov job. I spend the first summer at doing a Biglaw internship, and it sucked a fat nut. The people are cunts, the long hours leave no time for anything else, it was just... ugh.

A couple of my friends work at smaller 'boutique' firms in KC, and the money is decent (their salaries are 75k - 85k) and they get a higher percentage of their take once their overhead amounts are met, but it's still long hours and annoying people for a moderate amount of money.

It would be insane to go solo in a city before building up a client base through a firm job, but even then it's not great. You get to take all of fees that you bring in, but office expenses are higher in town.

I read some stuff on small town work, and the work/life balance, so I started driving out to county seats in counties with a smaller population and going to lunch with a few local attorneys. They would always point me to other counties, saying to call up their lawyer friends there, so I did.

I started helping a few of them with research, writing motions and stuff like that, and figured out what practice areas I was into. After that I signed up for criminal clinic and the estate planning club/clinic, and practiced that.

It really became more of a practical application thing than resume building effort at that point. I wrote onto journal and then didn't do it: sinking time into that for a line on my resume which I didn't need at that point wouldn't have been useful to me.

Finally I picked my location and met with the older attorneys that were looking to turn it over. That's kind of how it works--you work with them, rent an office from them for cheap (with access to conference room/printer/etc.), and get tied into the community. That includes things like coffee at the bank on Tuesday morning, acting on the chamber of commerce board, and stuff like that.

I take criminal and CNC appointments in 4 different counties. The other county seats are about 45mins away, and I get paid the appointed hourly rate for that drive (around $70/hr). Most of my retained work last year was referred by the guy i'm taking over for.

I like to take all of the appointed work that's offered to me, and then fill the rest of the time with retained work. But I start referring work out if it's going to keep me at the office later than 3 or 4.

Go rural man, even 45 mins outside of the city it's like this. My situation isn't abnormal or anything, the guy I worked for 2L summer made 340k last year and leaves the office at 4pm. He's retained in a lot of pot cases, which are pretty quick and easy for 6k a pop.

You seem to know those things. Personal experience?
>Linguistic theory is completely irrelevant in that field
I know. It's a little sad, but it's where the money is, isn't it? Moreover, I could study linguistics (which I like a lot) for my bachelor degree before going into computational linguistics for my masters. I'm not from the US, so I might have confused some terms, sorry.
Or do you think it's a shitty plan? Student loans aren't an issue, by the way.
>you will be surrounded by people who don't read anything other than newspapers
Honestly, I'm fine with that.

I'm a detective.

Awesome. Thanks a lot. I'll take that into consideration when I figure out what route I want to take.
How was Northwestern? I know it's good but it's expensive too.

It was fine, but there was definitely an attitude of 'you're welcome for being allowed in our school'. It was the same at Cornell, Michigan, and Berkeley but I'm pretty conservative and I didn't even apply to any of those lol.

Take that with a mound of salt, I'm a hillbilly and it shows.

Even though you might not know what type of law you want to do (nobody really does), you can gauge how much you want to work, where you want to live, etc. It's easy to forget about those important things when people start scaring yout with with stats and stuff.

My main things were:
1. Work/life balance. I wanted to do a CSA farm, and I needed the time to do it.

2. My friends with firm jobs were always afraid they were going to get fired for something. I don't like that.

Fuck off, tel.

I'm pretty conservative too, I'm from Utah after all.

I'm just wondering if it's better to stay local and go to UofU's law school or bust my ass to get into a T15 school and work in a larger market.

lmao fucking chalkboard

I majored in English and now I drive uber. just

What is a uber and does it have something to do with Nietzsche?

English major. I was headhunted by a top 10 tech firm in my last semester of college. It helped I had half a dozen internships under my belt. Instead of reading Housman and Marvell all the time, I was sucking corporate cock throughout college.

P.S. I did not go to an Ivy League school or Oxbridge.

Diff person here

The main difference is who will respek yur degee

If you go to HSY you can get a job anywhere in the country. If you go to a T20 school, your options get much more limited; you might only be able to get a job in your region (southwest, for example). If you go to a scrub state school, you might get a job in the city of the university you studied at or in the surrounding counties.

Is it that bad? Thinking about this

Is there any way to get a job as an editor without an English degree or something similar? Serious question.

I tried it this semester. Next semester I won't be an English major.

moar

Depends on where you drive and how smart you do, but I consistently get $15/hr before gas. It's such a boring job and I'm racking up miles and repairs. Only plus is completely flexible schedule

No, unless you have significant experience or publication history.

Darn it.

NW Law employs commie terrorist Bernadine Dorne. Harvard Law employs Adrian Vermuele, who will be the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court following the Integralist-Jacobite Restoration. Easy decision. If you can't get into Harvard then retake or go to Ave Maria.

>majoring in boring unemployable dogshit

>thinking it's boring
>majoring in boring "employable" dogshit
>ending up unemployed because it's boring
>killing yourself

I have not heard one mention of legit secondary school teaching itt.

I have a degree in english w/ a focus in secondary education and a minor in film. I teach three classes of juniors, one of honors sophomores, and one film course - which I usually just run as a language arts-style film course, where it's focused on film analysis and the use of things like lighting, editing, and blocking to create meaning.

low-paying gig (I make about 35,000 a year) but I enjoy it immensely and working with kids and seeing their knowledge base and analytical skills grow is a hoot.

also having two plan periods - both right after each other at the end of the day - is really nice because I can use that time to get work done and not have to do anything when I get off.

The hours for teaching are great too. usually 7 am-3 pm, plus you get summer break, thanksgiving break, winter break and spring break off, plus weekends. on whole, unless you sign up to teach summer school, you only teach 185 days out of the year

>Or do you think it's a shitty plan?
Try to find out what universities do research in the field you are interested in. Sometimes small less known universities do excellent research in such a specialized field, and sometimes the more prestigious universities don't do research in a given field at all, so be careful.

What program you should attend really depends on your university. I would say that whatever requires you to take the least amount of irrelevant courses is the best program. There might even be some undergraduate degree program in computational linguistics somewhere.

>majoring in a useless butt sniffing major
>angry at republicans because unemployed
>destroy all human civ out of spite
thanks guys

I'm a brainlet without imagination so I decided to study medicine.

>faggots going into debt to help terrorists kill americans and defend three time felons from justice
gee thanks. I cant imagine hat people can possibly do to thank you and your family and your defenseless children for bringing this situation to our defenseless children

You should unironically be thankful, though, you retard. Those felon defending people are the grout in the foundation of civilized society. Next time you bang Sally Rottensnatch and she accuses you of rape, thank your lucky stars there's some degenerate alcoholic lawyer willing to remind the jury that mere accusation isn't enough to send your ass to a shit-hole in Reno where you get 9 minutes of outdoors time and you answer the Bubba, the friendly prison guard who has a fetish for sheltered, bourgeois soyboys.

>muh civilizashun
Fuck off, bourgeois cunt

or, I should put a bullet in your head for tilting common la legal systems in the favor of criminals creating predatory plaintiffs, unconvicable criminals, uncontrollable prisons that are run by gang members, etc. all to satisy your stupid fucking ego

america had been fine 80 years ago before sympathy for gangsters came to be the primary demand of half the country

>I should put a bullet in your head

reported. online threats are illegal its in the guidlines. Section 8 Paragraph 4

people like you ruined this country. don't think you'll escape justice. you threaten every single person in this country

>Americans

Work at a bank. If you're good you can work your way up and you don't even need to go back and get another degree. Not many jobs are like that.

>illegal
>guidelines
Nice digits newfriend.

Girl is fucking disgusting and it's entirely her fault. She's got an adorable nose and face and I could work with a tongue and nose piercing but those fucking tattoos and nog earrings make me want to hurt her in a way that isn't entirely sexual

Bamp

Why do you guys hate stem majors so much? Even ones that enjoy literary works, music and art? I want to be a renasaince man and my stem major actually interest me

Wat?

Because they're just drones following formulas and equations.
Sure, it's hard work, but there's not much to it.

You get way more out of English classes though. CS and other STEM majors are essentially just teaching you a trade, whereas English courses (at a good uni of course) teach you how to be a better person

Literally all of STEM boils down to being able to plug in the proper equation/method in order to get a desired result. It might seem dense and hard because there's a lot to memorize, but beyond that there's essentially no critical thinking outside of figuring out which equation would best fit the situation.

and writing some bullshit paper on queering gender in Hamlet is somehow better?

I started uni as an English lit. major and switched out of it. I enjoyed it a lot and I was doing really well, but it's kind of a waste of time in terms of learning skills that will actually help you and it's not very rigorous.

I could have stayed in and continued to get backpats from my libfem professors every time I made a reference to lit theory concepts or name-dropped Derrida and get told that my essays are really fuckin special well written but really what the fuck is the point?

>not just being a NEET

If you don't live in a shit country you'll be living a similar lifestyle economically to most of the shit jobs you can get away unless you fall for the career meme and are happy trading loads of time for a bit of extra cash

t. has never worked in STEM in their life

I was hoping to get some encouragement out of this thread. Instead it's mostly shitposting and a few english majors who switched out or are doing something else.

What else is there to do? I honestly don't even enjoy this major (I'm at a third rate state school so the program is shit anyways), but I'm only a year away from finishing a process that's taken WAY too long. Fucking what do

Do you have any other skills? I majored in philosophy and got a job in web development when I graduated cause I learned some basic coding. Helps that my parents paid for school so I wasn't too stressed out about getting a good job.

Mine are paying for mine almost entirely as well, so at least any debt will be minimal if not nonexistent. I really don't have any marketable skills desu. How did you learn to code? I took a class in Java once and it was alright, not sure how to go about self teaching it though.

What exactly do you want people to say? You're doing a major which is widely know to have lesser job prospects and you don't even enjoy it.

Well obviously if it's a bullshit paper it has little value.
But if it offers genuine insight into the story and the human condition, than it furthers the human race that much more. The best that can come from stem is something that makes life just a bit more convenient, only so that we can acquire more capital to purchase the next most convenient thing.

Currently CS and English double major, but yeah if that helps you sleep at night

If the only reason why you want to go to college is that you can get a high paying job, English isn't for you. In fact, there are plenty of ways to make tons of money without even getting an associates degree. I'm about to graduate with a degree in English, and really I don't regret my major at all (it does help that I nice have a job lined up after undergraduate though). I don't think I would have learned as much in any other major than English, and some of the things I've picked up at uni have completely changed the way I think about life, largely for the better. If you feel that English is truly what you want to study, by all means go for it--if you have an open mind and do all the readings than you will certainly get something out of it. Just make sure that you get some internships though before you graduate, otherwise you're probably fucked once you graduate.

CS isn't STEM.

t. engineer.