This fella is unreadable, how come he's considered one of America's greatest poets?

This fella is unreadable, how come he's considered one of America's greatest poets?

>being this contrarian

I started it with high hopes since friends who I respect said it's really good but I find it really boring

Poets to come! orators, singers, musicians to come!
Not to-day is to justify me and answer what I am for,
But you, a new brood, native, athletic, continental, greater than
before known,
Arouse! for you must justify me.

I myself but write one or two indicative words for the future,
I but advance a moment only to wheel and hurry back in the darkness.

I am a man who, sauntering along without fully stopping, turns a
casual look upon you and then averts his face,
Leaving it to you to prove and define it,
Expecting the main things from you.

Doesn't the grass represent kids that he fucked?

post your reaction when you realize this book is only praised, only read, and perhaps only even known of by this generation because of the popular television series "Breaking Bad"

I remember Bloom saying that he was "falsely Democratic" or something and it makes sense. He was secretly a snob who wanted to be understood by a few

Well, he starts by "celebrating himself", obviously a grandiose loser

>I celebrate myself
> And what I assume you shall assume,
> For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.

He's celebrating all of us my dude.

>tfw everyone is too ashamed to respond

Nobody is responding because it's, quite possibly, the absolute most retarded thing ever said on Veeky Forums and it's only a matter of time before you kill yourself due to extreme inadequacy, probably with a dash of impotence.

wow American poetry sucks? wow what a surprise considering the country was literally founded by cis-christians who threw a hissy fit because they didn't want to be persecuted for the beliefs (laughably hypocritical) and so they came over, slaughter the indigenous people and then transported millions of other indigenous people to build the goddamn country for them. you're telling me that this country doesn't have a rich, vibrant poetic tradition? shocker.
Whitman doesn't come close to Chinua Achebe's poetry or Ijemoa Umebinyuo who actually have a wealth of history and civilizational accomplishments to draw from as opposed to Whitman who basically just amounts to
>o what a wonderful world for a whiteman to be a white man in!
>think of this country we're raping I'm getting hard just thinking of it!

i mean i knew the truth's unveiling would make some people insecure and angry, but i didn't think the screeching would be THIS severe

You seem mad, perhaps try reading some Walt Whitman to ease your rage.

Your friends deserve better friends.

But he's celebrating himself first and foremost

I can disagree with my friends because they're my friends

>he thinks I'm going to take his bait like this is my first time here

I recline by the sills of the exquisite flexible doors,

If this is unreadable, wait till you get to Hart Crane.

>he never watched Dead Poet's Society
shig

>new england vapers
personally, i would have went with "Vapists"

you can't just divide the lines of your prose and call it verse

Okay, I legit laughed.

literally more drunk ramblings than poetry
classic case of an artist beeing more influential than actually good
I guess he tapped in the "new world" Zeitgeist at the time (some of his poems are fine) but desu if I'd see most of his stuff on citique threads I'd cringe

>if I'd see most of his stuff on citique threads I'd cringe
what makes your opinion mean anything?

He's the fellow who thinks he must be a big man because he lives in a big country.

Invisible

Grass doesn;t have leaves, it has blades. This is bullshit

back then grass was leafish because it hadn't evolved in the modern grass that we see today. like how corn used be just a single row like peas

are those leaves of grass

America was Whitman's provincial microcosmic galaxy to feel the sublime and express it

what does the title mean, did he ever explain? Why he chose that?

because the who made the grass green bit?

is it about marijuana? Leaves relating to paper, writing, leaflet? Pages, writing, of marijuana?

is it about abundance, coating the earth, simple, humble, carpeting, a pleasant padding

Maybe an interchangeability between different plant levels in his mind has some kind of great significance

>Leaves relating to paper, writing, leaflet?
>grass- is it about abundance, coating the earth, simple, humble, carpeting, a pleasant padding
Leaves, leaflet, his pages, filled with 'grass', his writing, was the grass

lol, who hurt you?

YAWP
A
W
P