How do you spice up your rice?

How do you spice up your rice?
I usually eat basmati rice with some meat and vegetables but plain rice is getting boring. Sometimes I just caramelize an onion and serve it over the rice but I need some other ideas to make it more interesting (I'm not looking for complete dishes)

Pic kind of related

Attached: 20180313_223622.jpg (3264x1836, 1.18M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dJV2CXRAnGw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

fry some garlic in a small amount of olive oil(or other if it doesn't fit the dish), when garlic is to your liking toss in the rice and water (or toast the rice a bit before adding water)

onion is good too, it works well with quinoa/millet too

How do asians make this stuff? Do they just eat plain white rice?

I often eat selfmade kimchi with rice

Along these lines, I unironically add Lipton Onion soup mix to brown rice before cooking it.

what about adding some grated ginger to the water and rice and then cooking it?

with savory dishes like the ones at a chinese restaurant

I always use some curry, salt, and chop up a sweet potato to boil in with the rice.

only poor people eat rice and poor people are tastelets.

Get an indian cookbook (or look it up on the internet) and make peas palau.

youtube.com/watch?v=dJV2CXRAnGw

I actually like plain (salted water) rice on my fork with each bite of what is served with it. You say you buy basmati, but what about varying your rice? Try some short grain valencia, some jasmine, some brown, some red-wild rice blend, or regular long grain. Rice aroma and nuttiness varies, as does that delightful starchiness. Having some valencia with cuban black beans is an essential pairing in my mind. When I make rice to pair with hispanic food, I add a glug of olive oil to the pot as well as either a chopped onion or a clove of garlic. It changes the texture and flavors it too.. A colombian friend swears at corn oil, dehydrated onion bits, and a microwave pressure cooker and her rice is infamously good. The caramelized onions (or shallots, or toasted sesame or almonds or other nuts) topping is also good, as is a sprinkle of herbs. You can add a bit of spice to your oil when you cook those onions, like cumin or just a bit of curry. Cilantro is one of my favorite rice toppings. A squeeze of lime and it's Chipotle's rice. Try stirring in a simple 2 Tbsp of black lentils when boiling the rice and a bay leaf, and they fall apart and make the rice texture get a fluffy mealiness that tastes nice.

Salt / Fried shallots / Sweet soy sauce or any kind of meat sauce.

how come the contents don't fall out?

pan, hot
oil, in
garlic, onion and chili, sauteed
chicken broth, in
bring to a boil
then add your rice
spicey, aromatic, rustic

Austrailia, m8

Lol, i'm asian an we don't use spice when we cook rice. Taste bad

in my country, we just use water, wash the rice, the poor the water in, then cook. That all.

Rice isn't supposed to be super tasty. It's mainly for sustinance and to soak up the flavor of whatever else you're eating. If you want tastier rice, make better food to put on it.

>cooking rice on a pan

Kek. I ment pot.

Basmati, butter, sweet soy sauce, hoisin sauce, laoganma hot veggie, fried onions, sesame seeds, mix, wala!

>1TBS turmeric
>1TBS black pepper
>pinch of cumin
>1/4TBS salt
>1 generous cup dry rice

>melt 1TBS butter
>add minced garlic if you wish
>add spices, until mixture darkens a bit
>add rice, toast for a minute in butter
>add chicken stock, scrape bottom of pot and bring to a boil
>cover pot, set heat to low, leave untouched for 17 minutes
>after 17minutes, turn heat off, still leave it untouched for 5 minutes
>open cover, fluff with fork

done

cajun seasoning or plain

With basmati/jasmine, add some cardamom pods and a cinnamon stick
I mostly eat short grain for I am a weeaboo, but when I want curry that’s my go to rice recipe