Are Dune's sequels worth reading?

Are Dune's sequels worth reading?

Anyone?

Sort of. Not as good as the first book imo.

The books after God Emperor of Dune are just expensive toilet paper

Some are better than others. It starts to jump the shark around God Emperor, still good though. Dont bother with Herbert's son's continuation or expansions, his writing is bellow average.

It's really hard going , even for the invested. Book two is a real drag, and three drags up until the end. Four is considered to be decent, but the reputation falls off after God Emperor.

The second is already nowhere bear as good as the first, but offers sort of a fun deconstruction of everything you love. The third takes forever to get started and really only builds up towards the 4th, which is then just a bunch of filler and somewhat out of line with the rest of the series. The 5th and 6th are quite boring and clearly a buildup series to whatever was going to happen in the 7th, which we will never know because the book was never finished and the son doesn't want to release what we do have.

It really depends on how much you love Dune, it's one of my favorite series of all time, but even I was eventually just working my way through them for the sake of having read them all, and kind of relieved it never went further than the 6 books we got.

>fun deconstruction of everything you love
What does this mean?

Also this

Why would it care about what happens to it's poop?

all the tropes of the first one
>chosen one
>hero goes native
>gets the girl and saves the universe
come back at paul and beat his ass

Dune Messiah is my favorite. It is a fun deconstruction, as someone else already said, and it is a more interesting book than the first for it.

Children of Dune is a bit ridiculous and grating, but if you like the world and the trademark espionage and cunning then you'll have fun with it.

Dune Messiah is a very tight little thriller (in complete contrast with the sprawling original.) Every scene propels the plot forward. It's worth reading because the pacing is so different to the other Dune books.

Apparently it was orginally intended as part 4 of Dune; presumably it was taken out to make the book a bit less daunting.

I like Children because it explores the Fremen culture in more detail, which Herbert didn't have the space to do in Dune. It's a nice companion to the original, and the ending is typically surprising ...

Yeah, that's definitely true.

The entire mythical element of the first book gets destroyed in the second, Herbert basically takes apart everything from the first book while letting characters think and talk about why.

I read all of his works, is there anything else of his worth reading that can satiate my hunger?

>4th, which is then just a bunch of filler and somewhat out of line with the rest of the series.

It's different and mostly just dialogue, but to call it a bunch of filler is false. It tells the story of the god emperor and his golden path. How he prepared for it and how it ultimately happened. How is that filler?

I enjoyed Dune Messiah, but I still don't get the ending. How can Paul see through his son's eyes?

Help a brainlet out, Veeky Forums.

It's not explained actually, don't worry user.l

I like that it was sort of a glimmer of hope for a broken man that didn't wish to do what he was made for, killed billions of people in the universe with his religious jihad, and lost all desire for the ends, which made the means crush down on him full force.

Brown girls can be cute?!??

Yes. My all time favorite book is God-Emperor of Dune. The series climbs till then in quality, the last two books are on par with Messiah. Dont even go near the shit Brian wrote, as pointed out in.

>It's really hard going , even for the invested.

i didn't find it hard going, but then the first thing of Herbert's i ever read was The Dosadi Experiment, so it might just be that you're a simpleton.

OP: pic related.

> there will never be a sequel

> artist's name is -

.. is that Bijaz? didn't know the little fuckr could draw.

Tries to strengthen his false sense of self by asserting superiority at reading Dune. You are the definition of an insecure loser.
>Muh Herbert readins'
"Fear is da mind killer" is false. Demonstrate your intellect and prove me wrong, Captain Dooneypants.

>all those "of dune"
This is a meme right? Those don't all exist right ? Jesus
Currently on heretics of dune. Didn't plan on reading chaoterhouse but maybe I will now

Messiah is. Children of dune is alright.
This question has been asked a billion times.

Why does ego make people like Brian write books?
Talent isn't exactly inheritable. Just use ghost writer.

kevin anderson?

no, i'm trying to assert my superiority by pointing out that politically, "The Dosadi Experiment" is superior. it's okay if you haven't read it. i mean, John Norman wrote so *many* books, and you had to read them all first. and you had to keep stopping to fap.

money?

Couldn't accept the challenge, I see. Come back when you want to make an ass of yourself again.

Why would you want to tear down a fellow fan? Could it be that you are the mental equivalent of a child? Why the need to be right about something trivial unless you think of yourself as trivial? You are the Cancer.

>Just use ghost writer.

Dune was literally the most forgettable book i have ever read
i have fonder memories of reading "The Abominable Snowman of Pasadena" than Dune
i read Dune Messiah in a single afternoon and evening because i thought, this has to get better, it HAS to, the hype MUST be merited
no, it was shit
thanks for nothing, Frank

shit taste buddy.

You got it

Millenial douche bag post. Your age is showing.

Thanks for coming here to post that perceptive critique. Time well spent, I'm sure.

Now you see why we hesitated to answer. The funposters pile in. Next time check the archive.

Dune was published in 1963, and he began researching it in 1957. Children of Dune was published in 1976. i'd be surprised if his attitudes didn't change at all in that period.

it's obvious in the later books that he found the Bene Gesserit more interesting than the various doings of the Atreides.

>Why would you want to tear down a fellow fan?

bitch, do you even know where you are?

older than that, babby. i read the Dosadi Experiment when it was serialised.

> you will never fight a revolution with Jedrik and then swap bodies with her