How much should I read a day to become well-read?

How much should I read a day to become well-read?

You should read the entire Veeky Forums 2017 100 books chart in 24 hours and then never touch a book again

>how much should I read a day to become well-read?
>what is the minimal amount of effort required for me to appear more intelligent to my peers but not actually enjoy literature
>what is the path of least resistance in fulfilling my vain pathetic need to come across as cultured and educated to potential mates, satiating my deep-seated need to appear more than I actually am, a vacuous and belligerent narcissist too mentally ill-equipped and lazy to exhibit sociopathy, but still deeply needy and willing to deceive my loved ones and friends for the hollow appearance of a greater degree of domination
you should just kill yourself

How much do you need to workout every day to become Veeky Forums?

At least 2 hours of weight training and cardio.
Training should be done every other day.

Shieet this describes me perfectly.

To ask a question of a similar nature:

How much do you have to read until you can write something reasonably well?

For example, I have some thoughts on the Self that builds a lot on philosophers I've read, primarily Stirner, and I think it would have some intellectual worth. But I could also be a complete pseudo and not even fully know it (though I do suspect it, but I'd rather not be ruled by doubt). How do I know the difference?

In an age of infinite distraction it's hard not to perceive literature as work. Even if it is rewarding, the focus and effort actual deep reading of the classics require is comparable to a white collar job

20 pages a day increase as you feel comfortable.

Read well.

Tell me how to break the curse? Tell me how to use my brain. Tell me how to break these chains and make something of myself god damn it. If only I could get my hands around you. Tell me the secret to creation won't you brother?

Please. I wish you would share more.

good post
just b urself ;_)

just write then re read and see if you wrote anything of value then share with others

Stop masturbating.

and the procrastination? I am so close to freedom. Discipline right? I just need to use my head right? I don't have to rot as a caveman?

don't be a little bitch and cut off your internet connection

>vain pathetic need to come across as cultured and educated
That's neither vain nor pathetic. It's actually extremely practical and rational. What's truly pathetic is exuding bitter hatred towards anyone who wants to extract concrete utility from a fairly time-consuming activity and doesn't just blindly adhere to some quasi-intellectual juvenile ideals of "virtuous acquisition of wisdom" or "transcendent need for self-improvement" or whatever other grandiose yet nebulous hogwash you use to justify and alleviate the status of your ultimately pointless autofellatory hobby in the eyes of sane people.

You have to accept that it's very unlikely your philosophical thoughts are original, and that to know if they are you'd need years worth of studying philosophy

sophistry: the post

if your concern is being "well-read" just go on sparknotes and say you've read the book

>That's neither vain nor pathetic. It's actually extremely practical and rational. What's truly pathetic is exuding bitter hatred towards anyone who wants to extract concrete utility from a fairly time-consuming activity and doesn't just blindly adhere to some quasi-intellectual juvenile ideals of "virtuous acquisition of wisdom" or "transcendent need for self-improvement" or whatever other grandiose yet nebulous hogwash you use to justify and alleviate the status of your ultimately pointless autofellatory hobby in the eyes of sane people.
>It's practical and rational to immerse yourself in the hollowness and futility of the plebeian lifeworld, to quash all that is holy and defile all the sacred in man to a quotidian profane. To chain yourself to the instrumental-machiavellian-machinations of the great horror, the systematic dullness that bleeds all meaning and love and life from the imaginative beauty beating at the fiery core of being, to stamp out what man you could have become on your own terms, to sully your own becoming, renounce integrity, submit to the state. "Wisdom" is a distraction from stock prices, quiet desperation, supermarkets, dress shirts, alarm clocks, measurement, calculation, and anything else that seeks moment after moment to destroy you, hurl you into the great abyss, where the Actual ranks higher than the Possible, where originality and uniquity are synonyms for deviancy and not for the extraordinary. Join me with the "sane", the bitter and the milquetoast. Deny what you want to be. Wallow in what we've made of ourselves, after we killed our own dreams because of what others might think of us, because subsuming to the banal is the meaning of life for us.

user, sophistry is not a synonym for "I can't parse scary words".

>quasi-intellectual juvenile ideals
>grandiose yet nebulous hogwash
>your entire response
doesn't get more pure pottery than that

Just read the Bible.

bravo, had me old-man-laughing-wheezing

The more specific works and authors one references, the more likely one is to provide an original insight through sheer volume of analyzed material. It may be of incredibly particular (i.e. little philosophical) use, but it will be original nonetheless.

But philosophy adds clarity to conceptions, and this is the major point of it; if one thinks clearly and at length, one will eventually arrive at original conceptions that are also true. One should leave obsession with novelty to the philistines

nor does regurgitating a thesaurus exempt a post from sophistry

>mommy you just don't understand
>I'm only a worthless unemployed recluse because I refuse to stoop down to the unholy level of the pedestrian shallow hollow dull meaningless banal milquetoast mediocre unoriginal quotidian [insert thesaurus entry here] plebs
>my complete failure to produce anything of value or bring about any qualitative change in the world despite constantly alluding to beauty, virtue and integrity is solely because of the [circular reasoning in flowery verbiage], not because I'm utterly unequipped and incapable to perform this even on a basic level due to lifelong history of being sheltered and rationalizing away anything related to actual deeds and practical implementations and goes beyond pure theorizing, grandstanding and demagoguery mkay
>wash my tighty whites please, they're stained again

Thanks for confirming you actually declared the post logically unsound because you got confused by words beyond high-school vocabulary. Life will be tough, friendo.

>Discipline right?
No. Just stop masturbating. Right now you have the psyche of a castrated animal.

>i share a literature board with people who have THIS level of reading comprehension

Aw god damn it. Okay. Any other tips? I believe your words to be true prophet.

>Any other tips?
Yes. Cut your hair and get a job.

good post

i mean i admit, GOOD literature is work, but the point that post was making was that you should ENJOY the work that you're doing, and not just pursue the bare minimum required for the sake of forming your identity from the superficial appearance of being "well-read"

this unironically

shoot for 10,000 pages read a year

but dad I am going to be a write just like Camus! I want to craft thousands upon thousands of beautiful stories. Ones that capture emotions. Hardships and lessons. Ones that could be applicable to this day in age and the possible future. I want to be an artist dad! I want to capture the essence of humanity and create with it for other so I won't be so dead inside.

Don't listen to the masturbation thing, NEET memes. The only solution is to get off the poison that's the Internet and to never look back. I actively try, I've already reduced my Internet time by a good margin and I've been writing more & more lately. Good luck.

Wrong dummy, you've missed the point. The criticism is not that he is learning to improve himself but that he is learning for vanity, to improve how others perceive him and his obvious laziness.

Destroyed.

this is shitposting on a level I've never seen before

tfw no Lolita

Veeky Forums will not recover from this. I will stop reading right now and go live in the woods

This word for word, but, can you answer the question?

What does worth means?
I'm sure whatever you write, it'll mean something for someone.
Maybe ones who already study philosophy might find your work void of originality or derivative, but Im sure a pleb like me would find something interesting in there

Read in your free time, or for a minimum of 1 hour a day. Non fiction can be read in small groupings, but fiction needs to be read in larger parts at a given time as to not break up the story too much. Also dont stick to one book at a time; I like to read a couple books at once just to keep things fresh; its usually a fiction or pleasure book and whatever im really studying, for example im reading Knut Hamsuns hunger for pleasure, and im studying The golden bough right now.

>what is the minimal amount of effort
sounds to me like you are just projecting, OP's post doesn't come across like that at all

100 pages

BTFO

100 headlines, 100 bullet points of listicles, and a 10-page pamphlet every single day

The fact that he asked how much at all suggests that. If not, why not just read as much as he can? Because thats too hard, and so he asked

fuck off faggot