Why does Veeky Forums hate genre fiction?

Why does Veeky Forums hate genre fiction?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/aihwBsMb
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

all fiction has a genre

It's not fun enough.

Genres are a concept used to classify books that are already there. People who write with the specific intention of partaking a particular genre are going to write, more often than not, books that you know before you read them

But what about something ;ike Dune or most of Philip K Dicks's novels?

shrug... what I am trying to say is: read books, not genres

fuck off soyfrog the prose is always shit because the authors are too busy developing a THRILLING PAGETURNER

You're reading the wrong genre authors.

If you think today's """""literary""""" authors don't write formulaic potboilers too, you're deluding yourself.

They're for writers who write to "entertain," not knowing or refusing to acknowledge that a book can be both insightful and profound as well as entertaining.

I dont, its fun and I love sci-fi and fantasy pulp. I just pretend to hate it on a cambodian shadow puppet forum because I dont want anonymous gay nerds to cyber bully me

pastebin.com/aihwBsMb

Desire to feel superior.

It's MINDLESS ENTERTAINMENT and I have a MIND and don't like being entertained.

Memes aside, most of it is boring trash.

>cambodian shadow puppet forum
You opened a chest. You found: accurate portrayal of modern society.

If genre fiction is good, it's no longer genre fiction. Genre fiction is by definition not good.
also dune sucks lmao

This is the most retarded post I have ever read, congrats.

you sure told him bruv

A good book shouldn't depend on it's genre or setting. You should be able to change those and still have a good story.

then why separate between genre fiction and literary fiction instead of just "bad fiction and good fiction"?

Veeky Forums is super tsundere for genre fiction. Why do think every other thread has something to do with Philip K. Dick?

yea try to retell the Odyssey by replacing the war of troy with a neonazi civil war set in east Jamaica, year 213 After The Great Gonorrhea Epidemy

keep going, I'm listening...

Veeky Forums doesn't read for pleasure, only for pretending to be smart and cultured.

>A moment's reflection should be sufficient to convince anyone that the existence of established genres is enormously beneficial to the artist and that almost all the greatest art has been built upon the strong and familiar foundations of genre: Shakespeare's plays, Mozart's symphonies, and Renaissance painting offer obvious parallels. Of course, what we ultimate value in Mozart and Shakespeare are great personal qualities; the genre does not create these, but it does provide a means whereby they can find the fullest and freest expression. The genre-less artist is in fact less free, because he is continually preoccupied with the problems of inventing his own framework, a task which makes, among other things, for extreme self-consciousness.

Veeky Forums - or at least *some* of its habitues, and sons of habitues - is retarded on the subject of genre, having turned a partial and sometime truth (a lot of genre fiction sucks) into something approaching an ultimate truth, while ignoring more important aspects of the question such as those noted above.

Because normalfags like it.

I read to fill a hole

Cause genre fiction is still readable.
Like masturbation and real sex.
Bad fiction is like forcing yourself to fap at something not hot at all. While genre fiction is just masturbation, sometimes it can feel amazing, sometimes "meh"; always pointless no teaching. You're not proud by eating at McDonald's.

what was the last book you read

#1 reason is because a lot of genre fiction is basically junk food for your brain. not challenging at all, simple vocabulary, pure entertainment, nothing new to be learned beyond "look at my race of elves that are tall and like trees and are immortal lol". there are exceptions to this rule (there are exceptions to every rule) but i think the underlying fact here is that you could skip out on almost all contemporary fantasy/scifi/mystery/etc. and not miss out on anything important

however i feel that genre fiction gets too much hate, while shit like self-help books don't get enough, and can be outright fucking retardedly destructive. seriously, if reading fantasy books is like eating mcdonalds, then reading self-help books is like eating from a jar of mayonnaise by the spoonful.

pic related

It's easier to write off an entire genre than to judge an individual work on its own merits.

I don't think the pic is that retarded, placebo is a real thing.

literally "i judge books by their covers", the post

people do this with graphic novels too. it's pretty unfair

It's bad.
Marketing term.

i don't think it's the fact that self-help "books" get too much attention, the fact that they aren't actually books at all, but rather little compressed hamster-wheels for your brain, laced up with amphetamines which program you into a modern-society-functional robot.
this addlepated simpleton reminded me, in very few words (thank you, sir) that people really do just want to totally shut down and drag their soulless husk out of bed and into their menial jobs every day and have their disgusting little bastard children and buy their little noise-making shit-for-brains spawn of hell nice presents for christmas and live life in like a blind bliss of forced ignorance and then set up their funeral before they day as a "big favor" to their family who doesn't give a shit about them and just wants to be in good graces so they make it into the will and trust and get some money out of the deal (after their lawyers take their substantial share of course)
in other words, i hate everyone and want to die

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

u jelly of my audacious rhino pants with pockets full of 100 dollar bills

>Genre Fiction
Currently reading 'Growth of the Soil' though. It's like nothing I've ever read, very unique.

That would make a nice story. You just need a skilled writer to pull it off.

Because it isn't non-fiction

You can make literature out of fucking anything! Just improve your prose/verse and you'll have a materpiece eventually. Who cares what it is about. Bald sandniggers immune to gonorrhea who shoot highly contagious bodily fluids from their mutated swastika-shaped penises will do fine.