You've taken the kindlepill, right Veeky Forums...

You've taken the kindlepill, right Veeky Forums? None of you still think it isn't objectively superior to physical books in any way, right?

Convince me to take that shitty pill and I might just get one.

What all those guys proposing ebooks as superior to printed ones are missing, is the fact that they mistakenly think electricity will always be abundant and available for everyone.

I bought a Kobo and I still buy hard copies of books. It's just more satisfying in every sense.

if all electricity suddenly disappears, being able to read your books will be the least of your problems.

>basically one incredibly slim book that can fit tons of gigantic cumbersome long books on it
>screen looks and feels exactly like paper
>battery lasts for weeks
>ebooks are way cheaper than real books and you can pirate them

kindles/e-books are for plebs. a physical book I can keep in my own personal collection forever. If somebody walks into my room, they can look at my collection and maybe they'll be interested in reading one of them. then I can just hand them the book and they can read it for themselves, simple quick and easy.
with a book, you know everything is formatted correctly and official. Every time I try to torrent a book, the format is all fucked up, the quality is low, and if there are illustrations, they are scratchy and just don't look good. I can read my books even if the power goes out. I can turn the pages and feel the paper and leave a bookmark to always know exactly where I left off. Having a collection of books on a bookshelf also makes me more inclined to go back and re-read them if I want to brush up on something. I can point to a book on my shelf and say "yeah, I read that". With an e-reader it just feels like a pointless hoarding of digital shit, the ease with which you can buy new books instantly is overwhelming and you end up never reading them how they should be read, which is at a desk in a quiet room by candle light or an oil lamp

so basically
>ebooks are bad because I can't flaunt how smart I am

What if it disappears not suddenly but gradually?

>basically one incredibly slim book that can fit tons of gigantic cumbersome long books on it
not really, you are actually more limited in your choice of reading material
>screen looks and feels exactly like paper
that is just a silly thing to say
>battery lasts for weeks
needing a battery isn't a good thing at all
>ebooks are way cheaper than real books and you can pirate them
it's not cheaper if you count all the other stuff you need to acess the text and books have been pirated long before e-readers
try harder

This. The property aspect alone is enough. I can lend it, I can resell it. I do not need a third-party device to enjoy my property.

they're bad because there's something lost in reading from an e-book. every book is a little different in texture, weight, size, font, slight differences in how the pages feel when they turn, etc. reading physical copies is an experience that ties the information you learn to those tiny sensorial memories. e-readers have none of that, there is no human quality to them, they are good for autists who only care about sucking in information, they are only one step away from audiobooks

The screen does look and feel exactly like paper, have you ever used one?

Yes. You must not have a lot of experience with books to think they look and feel the same.

Bought a Kindle a few months ago with no regrets. Built in dictionnary is sooo good. But I still have a slight preference for physical copies. I read a lot more, I still read as much physical books, but now I read on my kindle everytime I'm in my bed for exemple.

The best use for a kindle is college textbooks, it's an absolute godsend in that regard.

shill

How is that?

>can pirate textbooks
>one easy to carry thing instead of multiple fuckhuge heavy textbooks
>digital bookmarks and shit make it easy to keep track of information

fuck off, each of his points was entirely valid

>the medium makes memorization more difficult
>godsend regarding college textbooks

t. amazon

how exactly does the medium possible make memorization more difficult? Are you the "muh memory attached to the sensory experience of turning a page" guy?

No, but his argument is sound and scientifically tested.

>it's not cheaper if you count all the other stuff
You can get an e-reader for like 50 bucks and then each ebook, if you even pay for them, is like less than 10 dollars. 50 bucks is less than twice as much as a single large hardcover book, it pays itself off very quickly.

Pirating, bookmarks and weight? Weak arguments.

Your math is amateurish.

i wish i had a 13'' ereader :(

yeah it's definitely a weak argument to not have to pay 200 dollars for a single book and carry massive hardcover slabs in your backpack all day.

Become a shill, they'll provide one.

E-ink uses basically no juice, I charge mine up once in 4-6 weeks. And the Kindle in the OP, the one I have, only has a 1900 mAh battery, so it's not exactly going to suck up all your daily ration of watts as doled out by Benevolent World Crisis Government

You're just not resourceful.

But why?

>user has a problem
>user is aware of a solution to that problem
>user utilises the solution to great effect

That's what resourcefulness is

I'm sure you can figure this one out by yourself if you try.

t. consumercuck

formatting problems put me off. one cannot read any book reviews on amazon without someone complaining about the formatting.

>memorizing your textbook
you take notes for a reason, dummy.

i hated the ideas of ebooks when i first heard of them... but i love my KA1. most text is printed too large, and it's harder for me to keep track of a dense philosophical work when it's spread out over 3-5 pages than if it's on one, margin-free page.

Just buy both lmao
/thread

How does pirating on a kindle work? Just slap some pdf's or whatever and you're good?

Why should I make your point for you? That's not my job.

If you can't make your point then I have to conclude that I won the argument by default, but I don't want to do that, I want to prove you wrong. I can't prove you wrong if you don't say anything.

The letters must be tiny if you put 3-5 pages on one screen.

lol

pirated ebooks come in a variety of formats, usually EPUB, and you use programs like Calibre to automatically convert them to whatever format your ereader demands.

.epub files work great on it.

.EPUB or .MOBI

I never used PDFs because my Kindle's an earlyish model and moving around the page was too clunky, but it can definitely display them.

They're an issue for free versions of books in the public domain, and for pirated books you've re-formated. Other than those two cases i've never experienced an issue

Yeah, they don't work well with free or pirated books.

Oh, I thought you either had to pay or do some fucking about with the software to read a book on it.

I'm actually looking at kindles to buy now.

Every time I see these threads I wonder what kind of books you read that you can find every book you're interested in as pdfs let alone proper ebooks. Maybe it's the stupid anglo benefit.

I have a solar panel. I can charge your kindle too if you swear alliance to my sun cult.

>get tired of autistic teenagers on /g/
>come to my comfy pseudointellectual home board
>it's infested with mentally ill preteens from /g/

Wait for the cancerous pol preeteen hours

It's already that hour dude

>be me
>work for a major publisher (in admin)
>be aware that there's an entire department whose job it is to curate that publisher's ebooks
>know that they spend weeks on single books, making sure there's full audio companions, making sure any images have full metadata for TTS, proofing over and over, laboriously checking the formatting on an endless stream of devices
>know that the overwhelming majority of the ebook market is owned by Amazon, who just convert from .DOC or whatever and fire their files out there literally giving no fucks
>know that as they spend late evenings and early mornings trawling through this monkey work they too are fully aware of this fact
>laugh

What a bunch of fannies

It's madness, I know for a fact that the bigwigs have been complaining for literally YEARS that the turnaround on ebooks is so slow and they still don't seem to understand why

>objective superiority in an art form is a plastic box
i hope your scarf chokes you

Arguments for E-Readers:
>cheaper
>takes up vastly less space
>far more portable
>far easier to keep track of data
>built-in dictionary
Arguments against E-Readers:
>muh bookfeel
>muh physical bookshelf to show everyone how smart I am

>what kind of books you read that you can find every book you're interested in as pdfs let alone proper ebooks
so much this

also this

What are you reading right now? I promise you I can find an ebook version.

Picasso and Portraiture by William Rubin

Max René Hesse, Partenau

>kindlepill
Stop putting pill on everything just cause you recently got into it.

You have time to make a list of books you want and can go buy them.

>implying I'm gonna take the "stop putting pill on everything just cause you recently got into it"-pill

anyone could read it, but i read it comfortably. in print, the hated margins take up most of the space. i just get rid of them.

how do e-readers deal with end notes? this is the big thing in whether i will buy one

how tech-savvy are you? if you're above grandma level (i.e. able to use 4ch), you might consider a Kobo Aura One. i prefer it to the Kindle Voyage, but haven't used the new, big Kindle Oasis yet.

Why do you hate margins, user?

my Kobo displays them in a smaller window above the text — if you want (if it's a long note), you can press a button to flip to the endnote section. same with footnotes.

>KA1
>meagre battery
>abysmal software
>bootloops every other update
>still tied to calibre if you don't want epub pageturns to take hours to complete
No, thanks, koboshill.

because i write notes in a separate journal. why would i sully the book?

Is that a front facing camera up top or a light sensor?

What kobo version is that?

How does it compare to the Kindle?

i hope the scarf you bought with amazon chokes you. though let's face it, you got it from etsy to pretend someone loves you enough to knit for you; don't worry, that's cheaper, less space, more portable, far easier to keep track of, and has no need for dictionary definitions in comparison to a scarf made by someone who wants to keep you warm. why bother choking yourself with a scarf your mother made you when you can get it on etsy for half the price? go die.

>not knowing kindlefags get the philosopher's jumper and eat philosopher's honey c/o youtube
get with the times, grandpa

>neoluddite rectal explosion
Beautiful, yet discomforting. Like watching a child with trisomy trying to solve a rubik's cube.

That's exactly how I got my kindle

>wanted to read ASOIAF
>here published in like 12 books, 10€
>said fuck it, I'm not spending all of that on fanstashit
>bought a kindle and pirated it

>t. assblasted pseud
Okay sweetie, I'll keep enjoying T.S Elliot on my light, sleek Kindle while I sip my caramel macchiato and you can still keep your grandpa paperbacks ;)

Basically all mainstream books. Which is every book published by a major publisher.

And, actually, having the ability to do so has permitted me to not spend more on mainsteam publication and expand my collection of actually indie authors.

Every "advantage" physical books have are things outside of actually reading. If you just care about reading, e-books are much more practical.
Everything is else is for people who think they are better because they read,and want everyone to know they are "superior".

>TS Eliot
>calling other people pseuds and sweetie
Nigga we're asking you to do a communal service (which you will be unfamiliar with sans branding) and fucking die so your bad taste and lack of humanity can go with you. Stop getting comfy when you need to leave.

a light sensor. speaking of, i like kobo's blue light filter — most critics find it too wonky for their taste.

it's the Kobo Aura One. against the similarly priced Kindle Voyage, i much prefer it.

KA1:
>supports ePubs*, which is the most widely available** form of eBook
>bigger screen, yet is comparable (less, maybe?) with the Kindle's weight
>more internal storage (neither supports microSD cards)
>custom margin, font*** options
>better customer support for software issues
people talk shit about Kobo's software bugs or whatever, but they arise because the team is (to the best of my knowledge) constantly trying to improve the firmware. every update is like christmas, when i didn't even write a list. i have yet to find any frustrations; i've only had 2 crashes in a half-year's use.

Kindle Voyage:
>far superior translation, including multi-word phrases, which i don't think kobo does yet. this is important if you read books that sprinkle latin throughout and it's been years since high school lessons, or if you're an etymology slut like i am.
>in-text Wikipedia support, also pretty useful
>better eBook store, but i sideload my own (often pirated) books
>wordwise, which is kind of a meme
>haptic buttons, which i liked initially but soon forgot about after switching to kobo

*: briefly, Kobo uses kePubs and Kindle uses .MOBI. Calibre does a 1:1 translation of ePub to kePub, but .ePub to .MOBI is NOT a 1:1 translation — this is to say, there's a slight chance something will get fucked up if you convert ePub to MOBI, but not for ePub to kePub. people complain about Calibre, but anyone who likes eBooks (Kindle or Kobo) uses that ugly app
**: i mean, widely available on LibGen or other sites for DRM-free books like it.
***: desu, i loaded one of Kindle's fonts as my base font, but it's nice to have the option.

>t. the eternal Kobo shill

I don't know if it's objectively superior but it's free books on a good screen.

(You)

Most of us (that is those of us who aren't fucking 14 years old) were educated and became literal in the pre-kindle age with plain old paper books.

Your brain has developed in a very particular way alongside paper media. You will notice (if you have a functioning attention span) a difference immediately when trying to read anything longform on a glowing electronic toy

>Every "advantage" physical books have are things outside of actually reading. If you just care about reading, e-books are much more practical.
wrong, it's just the opposite. if you just care about reading, and disregard "portability (smugly reading in a Starbucks with your high-tech knowledge device)" and "it's less space taken up in your house", physical copies are better for memory retention and overall feel/concentration, and there's no time wasted with file format shit and other issues.

Buy a used paperback for 3 dollars and know that it just werks™ instead of dicking around on an oversized iPhone

thank you Mr. Eternal Kubo Shill.

I mostly pirate as well, as most of the e-books in my native language are not widely available on amazon and the likes.

Does amazon provide it's books for download in anything other than mobi or do you have to use caliber to convert them, in the case of buying a book?

if you buy a book from amazon, it comes in .AZW or .AZW3. the .AZW is basically .mobi + DRM. you can get a plugin for calibre to remove the DRM (so you can sideload it on any device), then it can convert to .mobi (i think AZW to .mobi is 1:1, error-free). then, if you want to convert the .mobi to .epub, you can do that in calibre.

if it's .AZW3, it's basically a PDF and therefore no good for any eReader IMO.

I primarily read genre fiction on my DS lite, what's my power level

>buy a kindle paperwhite during prime sale
>70$
>immediately pirate 200+ books
>if each e-book = 5$, that's 1000$
>70-1000
>save 930$

>it's not cheaper if you count all the other stuff you need to acess the text

But I have that stuff anyway

so do you, right now

I'm not going to not have that stuff if I don't have a kindle

no straws remain ungrasped

i bought both HD 8 and Kindle together for 100 shekels on chyker monday

almost bought a galaxy tab a instead

>what's my power level
virginity/10

>buy kindle paperwhite
>download vast libraries and hundreds of individual books
>still buy normal books
>buy damaged books in packs of 4
>have access to university library
And yet, here I am, reading the shit posted by some of the dumbest people on earth while I have access to near endless wisdom and knowledge.

i sympathize, but there are a few truly intelligent posts on here. plus, the banter is fun.