Dude break the commandments if God tells you to

>dude break the commandments if God tells you to
Was Kierkegaard an antinomian?

No, he doesn't reject social morals or ethics. But he does believe that religion is higher than ethics and in certain cases when the two conflict the ethical has to be teleologically suspended in favor of religion.

>in certain cases
Such as? Does God literally have to tell you to kill someone in order for it to be ok? Also how are religion and ethics even separable?

The ten commandments came after this story.

>it was just a prank bro look there's a camera right there haha you were actually gonna do it

So why was God butthurt about Cain killing Abel then?

Read Kierkegaard, he lays it out nicely

In which books does he touch upon that stuff?

Because God didn't permit it. Anyway, there's lots of things in the Bible that instruct executions for certain crimes, and God telling the Israelites to go to war. I don't know why you chose this example specifically. It's pretty clear that God permits killing under certain circumstances.

>
Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned.
Rom. 5:12

>death reigned from Adam to Moses
Rom. 5:14

Sin is not imputed when there is no law.
The ten commandments were in effect even before Moses.

Fear and trembling is all about this

Ah, I'm part way through Either/Or, I haven't read Fear and Trembling as of yet, fairly new to Kierkegaard

Either/Or talks about the aesthetic and ethical stage of life, the ethical being higher than the aesthetic.
Similarly in fear and trembling he goes from the ethical to the religious.

I'm yet to make it past the stage of the aesthete but I'm quite intrigued to engage how he formats the juxtaposition of the two.

Have I read them in the correct order (if there is one) or dun goofed?

there were literally no commandments at the time
the sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath

The order isn't too important. But if it was you read them in the right order.
Most people get put off by either/or because of the length and some boring-ish parts, so lots of people say to start with fear and trembling.

>there were literally no commandments at the time
Every one of the ten commandments was in existence since creation. All ten were observed, broken and punished before Moses went to mount Sinai.

Dude was autistic as fuck. How is this not obvious to everyone? I ain't even Hegelian.

>autists can't be right

The Ten Commandments weren't in effect over Abraham yet. The Seven Commandments of the Noahide Covenant were. That includes the prohibition against murder, which the sacrifice of Isaac wouldn't have been because God commanded it.

The point is that Abraham had ''too much'' faith that he was going to break a commandment because God told him to. And he didn't break the law since he didn't kill his son. That's what Abraham's faith about: killing his son that he was given late in life and breaking the law BECAUSE God asked him to

The Sabbath is part of Creation, it was there since the beginning
>And on the seventh day God finished the work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all the work that he had done. So God blessed the seventh day and hallowed it, because on it God rested from all the work that he had done in creation.

lol

Killing his son would have also broken the promise God made to Abraham which could only be fulfilled if Issac was alive. He had to have faith that even in the face of a seemingly impossible command God would honor his promise.

>Have I read them in the correct order?
I think it's beneficial to start with Either/Or; the Ultimatum (by the preacher) at the very end is somewhat of a prelude to Fear and Trembling. Just remember that in Fear and Trembling, the ethics he's rejecting is the universal ethics of Hegel; he's not advocating completely immoral behavior.

My favorite work is The Sickness Unto Death, followed by Concluding Unscientific Postscripts. If you want an order, I'd be happy to recommend:
>Either/Or
>Fear and Trembling
>Concluding Unscientific Postscript
>The Sickness Unto Death
>Works of Love
His social critiques are also very prescient, if you still have a taste for him after all that.

Eh, he couldn’t have been that butthurt since he let him live. I’m guessing he was more mad about Cain sacrificing subpar sacrifices than murdering Abel desu.

What did you think about Training in Christianity?