Good but not crazy good knives

I need a good chefs knife

Dont disapoint me Veeky Forums

Price range is 50usd although with some slight convincing i can muster 100/120 as the first is my personal use knife and others would be as gifts

Attached: 1482009509483.webm (800x450, 1.62M)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B0018RSEMU
thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-knife-sharpening-tool/
youtube.com/watch?v=W4SitQ0cknc
amazon.com/gp/product/B008M5U1C2/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
amazon.ca/DALSTRONG-Chef-Knife-AUS-10V-Treated/dp/B015NFHU9K/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1521910500&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=dalstrong shogun chef knife&psc=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Wusthof classic 8"

Global G2.

I'm pretty sure both of those suggestions are way over the price limit.
Try the IKEA 365+ all stainless steel chef's knife, or a chef's knife from the Wüsthoff SilverPoint budget line-up. Both are really good annd a good deal under 50 bucks. If you are OK with a really cheap but still good knife try the Thai KIWI brand knives.

I need to practice peeling an apple that way, that is an awesome and useful skill.

He said he could go up to $100-120. Which both of those knives can be found at those price points.

yeah right shoulda read more carefully. A Wüsthof Classic would be a good choice then, or a Kagayaki Basic from japanesechefsknife.com

Tojiro DP Gyuto 180mm
or just costco restaurant supply knives.

Just pay anymore than $40 for a good knife that comes with a sheath and get yourself a good place to put it and something to keep it sharp. Anything, just don't pay more than $100 for any extra things or less than $40.for the knife itself.

OP as an alternative I'd suggest keeping whatever knives you already have + whatever ones you can find for a dollar or so at Good Will or the Christian Mission and spend your budget on a Chef’sChoice 15 XV Trizor :
amazon.com/dp/B0018RSEMU
thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-knife-sharpening-tool/
youtube.com/watch?v=W4SitQ0cknc
This thing will put a nice 15° edge on any blade you have. The only criticism that can be leveled against it is that it wear through metal somewhat more quickly than manual sharpening via a whetstone or jig but you aren't gonna be using it on a Bob Kramer knife anyway. Buy a sharp knife and cut easily for a few months, buy a knife sharpener and cut cleanly forever.

Commercial lines just use cheap "disposable" Dexter-Russell knives, and go threw a couple a month as their edges wear off.

Attached: 15XV-lifestyle1.jpg (1100x900, 171K)

Has no one mentioned Victorinox yet? That's the canonical ~$40 but good knife.

>nice 15° edge
This may be a stupid question, but I've been using my spyderco triangle sharpmaker on my wusthof knives. The sharpener only does 30 and 40 degree adges. Is that adequate, or do I need to use something that will give me 15 degrees? The knives seem to cut great after I sharpen them, but I was just wondering what you thought about it.

30 degree should be 15 degree per side. For 30 degree total angle.

Sweet, thanks.

This is really unnerving. He could lose his fingers with a single mistake. It's like russian roullette.

Victorinox.
amazon.com/gp/product/B008M5U1C2/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I use a santoku Victorinox knife, it really is a great knife for what it costs.

I use the Mercer Culinary Millennia 8-Inch Chef's Knife ($13.95 on Amazon). Get a honing steel and use it each time before you cook, it just adds 10 seconds of prep time. I have a Japanese whetstone that I've probably used about twice a year too that cost me $20. I imagine the sharpening process on a whetstone takes about 5 minutes once you learn proper technique.

Ok, dumb fuck who doesn't know much about chef's knives here. Is there a major difference in performance between a low end knife that you sharpen regularly and a high end knife (assuming both have the same feel in hand)? I really don't know as I've been using the $40 Ginsu knife set for years (sharpening regularly) and am debating on whether or not it's worth upgrading.

amazon.ca/DALSTRONG-Chef-Knife-AUS-10V-Treated/dp/B015NFHU9K/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1521910500&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=dalstrong shogun chef knife&psc=1
Price is Canadian, I've really liked it, very good ergonomics.

This.

Attached: 18087B3F-970E-4423-A133-32CF9D8DEAB4.jpg (1000x1000, 34K)

>Tojiro DP Gyuto
This

High end knives are usually made from higher quality materials (blade steel, handle), have better quality control and a nicer finish. They also often have a better grind (thinner behind the edge, bladeface polished smooth so it will slide through food more easily). Its like the difference between a Chevy Sonic and Mercedes S-Class - both will get you from A to B, but one in a much nicer way. If you genuinely like cooking a nice knife is the best item to spend serious money on, just once in your lifetime if you are an average hobbycook. Take a look at japanesechefsknife.com, I have both the Kagayaki Basic and the CarboNext knives and both are really good. Another recommendation would be the Fujiwara FKM.

This post was meant to refer to ths one:
Forgot to quote.

>Wusthof classic
>Wüsthof Classic
+1

>bolster
No thanks.

I have one like this it cost 10€, no complaints.

Attached: 4018537081436_1.jpg (4197x1482, 1.21M)

>sharp line edition

You really splurged for the premium model, didn't you?

Thanks for the info. I'm not certain I cook enough to warrant a high-end knife (usually 1-2 large pots of things per week), but I'll take a look at different knives next time I'm at a place like Sur la Table.