My twelve year old son has become obsessed with RA Salvatore as an author because, in his words...

My twelve year old son has become obsessed with RA Salvatore as an author because, in his words, "he writes the best fight scenes".

Please direct me to some actually non-dogshit authors who have good descriptions of fight choreography to help wean my runt off of bad books. I stopped paying attention to what he was reading a few years ago after setting him on the right path and have come to sorely regret it.

physical fights don't work in book format, you can write a fight of wills, but you can't write a physical fight that is not a fucking drag and miserable. that's why kungfu movies were invented to fill that niche

norman mailer, the fight

This looks so pathetic

I agree, that's why I don't ask for good authors, because good authors understand that. Just less bad ones.

Let your kid read what he likes. Sure, introduce him to stuff that he might not have discovered himself, but don't chastise him for liking what he likes. That makes you incredibly childish in the worst way. Be happy he's reading anything at all and shares something in common with you.

One full hour until the guy appears who wants to tell OP how to raise his child. I thought you'd be here quicker.

>give your kids too much freedom and nothing to rebel against
sure, if you want them to be boring and spineless

Make him read comics, they have better fights.

if his kid is reading books during his childhood this is going to happen anyway

not if you beat him with a bag of oranges from time to time

The Iliad if you want to go down that route

The Iliad. You're not starting him with the Greeks?

best fight scene I've read is the drunken brawl in suttree by mcarthy

The one early in The Orchard Keeper was neat too,

a kid obsessed with any novels is a rare thing now. you should let him enjoy what he likes and not scare him away by being critical of his childhood favorites and scare him from reading into becoming yet another pleb who spends all their free time on social media or video games

This
Nothing wrong with advice

With unsolicited advice, there is.

There isn't anything wrong with a child reading genre fiction, however. You want to avoid authors whose writings are pozzed by their own idpol. It's one thing for your son to develop bad tastes, but it's devastating as a father figure to watch him grow up to be a numale. Of course, it's impossible to research every author he might be interested in and know where their political alignments lie. As a rule of thumb, don't have him read books that are published in the 2000s.

King Fedora is famous for them.

The weirdest thing about comics is that the more you get into them, the less you read them. Eventually it's all about collecting.

I might get shat on for this opinion, but I think sanderson writes top-tier fights that are neither vague nor overburdened with detail. I can clearly picture every move, and get a good window into the thoughts of the combatants, but it doesn't drag on or call attention to the fact that you're consuming information at a reading pace.

I don’t think it’s fair to say that it was unsolicited. OP was asking for advice about better literature for his son, and user provided his own insight on the issue. I suppose it wasn’t entirely on topic, though.

Steven Brust.

I read Salvatore when I was young. There is nothing wrong with it.

Rafael Sabatini is your answer tho

Let it go op, the kids twelve. If hes still reading that shit in college tho ya might have to have the man talk with him.

Disclosure tho, I dont allow captain underpants or diary of a wimpy kid in my house

That's the thing, you shouldn't *make* him read anything. Just gently and without judgement of what he does read, make it apparent that you think reading real literature is something worthy of respect. It doesn't even require you to do anything, if it's actually the case that you do. He'll see that and he'll get to doing it in his own time, so long as he feels you're someone who he wants the respect of.

I started him with the Greeks which is why I thought he would be immune to bad books. I was wrong.