This book has changed me in so many ways. If there is one book everyone should read it's this one

This book has changed me in so many ways. If there is one book everyone should read it's this one.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/S8MMJwFmq9U
alexsheremet.com/confucius-lao-tzu-i-ching-chinese-history-some-inklings-of-the-future/
ichingonline.net/
eheart.com/TAO/CTchapters-small.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

can you do taoist magic?

How would you compare it to books such as Awareness by de Mello and Meditations by Aurelius?

stoic apatheia is supposed to be a lower spiritual achievement than the tao mind

its about observation and piercing through the meaning of things with disciplined mind. there's no spirituality without it

bump

The Tao Te Ching is ok. I think however that it gives too much credit to how much can be done with "unmatched action" or however you wanna translate wu-wei. It's also way too optimistic about how effective an extremely libertarian government would be, much as how Confucius seems far too optimistic about how a ruler can prevent crime just by being virtuous.

Also, let's be real here, Lao Tzu is really anticipating Christ when he speaks of the Tao.

the I Ching is superior

Christ said he was the way

Why?

Do translations actually work for this book?
I'm scratching the surface of Chinese language and culture but but books like the tao te ching seem nearly impossible to grasp in translations.

WATER ABOVE, HEAVEN BELOW

Six in the first place:

Thus the superior man spreads his water into the heavenly body beneath him, permeating its deepest recesses and filling up every hole with its volume. So too should a wise ruler act with his concubines.

Great book t b h

Hackett has a great translation. They're really good for most translations of philosophical works.

HBO did a dramatisation

youtu.be/S8MMJwFmq9U

读老子
Those who speak do not know, those who know are silent,
I heard this saying from the old gentleman.
If the old gentleman was one who knew the way,
Why did he feel able to write five thousand words?

>superior
>Taoism

How can you be Taoist if you still attach yourself to texts like that?

You won’t believe me, but Hamlet derives from Chuang Tzu. Screenshot this, it’s true

9/10 times people say this, they've never actually read the I Ching. As a divination text, it's pretty basic and all it has going for it is that it's old as hell. The majority of the thing is characters used for that divination process. Anything else in the book is done better elsewhere.

If you’re knowledgeable with regard to the hexagrams, how likely do you think it is that the hexagrams are actually supposed to represent the chakras? Think of the backward flowing breathing technique, moving energy from the bottom of the spine (all six lines in yin) up the back to the top of the head (all six lines in yang) and then back down the front (the bottom line goes yin first and then moves up from there until all lines are yin again at the bottom).

Just read Heidegger

yeah its not exactly a piece of literature more of a catalog of the different hexagrams that you can derive from the processes of divination. the one i'm familiar with uses yarrow stalks and numbers n shiet.

hating texts is zen, not tao

>名可名,非常名。

>just give up
his pride as a man: Gone

You're a brainlet.

The Tao te Ching is garbage, like virtually all Chinese """"""philosophy"""""". Dumb pseudo-arguments from analogy galore, theory by simile, waxing poetics, no distinction between correlation and causation, and empty platitudes. There, I just summed up Chink """"""philosophy"""""". It applies doubly so to the Tao te Shit. At least Confucius has the occasional common sense line here and there.

The only decent Chinese """"""philosopher"""""" is Mozi since he is the only one able to string a discriminating sentence together and make a proper, systematic, analytical argument. It's not surprising that he is the only ancient Chinese thinker to have dabbled in logic.

It is my pet theory that if Mohism had taken over China instead of Shitfucianist or Tardoism, we wouldn't be writing English right now, but classical Chinese, since the Industrial Revolution would have happened in China, not Europe. (And it would not be all that bad. Mozi had a surprisingly "western" way of thinking in other matters too, very much opposed to servility for example, which makes me wonder whether he wasn't perhaps a Tocharian, i.e. an "Aryan".)

But things happened as they did: Plato lit a Divine Spark in Greece, and we inherited it.

>Lao Tzu is really anticipating Christ when he speaks of the Tao.
How typical. Just because you can discern some vague similarities between the Tao and Johannine Christology does not mean that Lao Tzu's thought is an anticipation to anything in Christianity.

>have the world's best, most rigorous philosophical tradition (in fact, the only lineage deserving of the term) spanning over two thousand years at your disposal
>get lost in exotic nonsense like some New Age pseud anyway
This is quite frankly disgusting.

Lol someone got triggered

alexsheremet.com/confucius-lao-tzu-i-ching-chinese-history-some-inklings-of-the-future/

>alexsheremet.com/confucius-lao-tzu-i-ching-chinese-history-some-inklings-of-the-future/
Please give me an abstract of the article.

Wu-wei is just technical Aretê

It's all about the commentaries thh senpaitachi

Wu-wei is how servile, passive wankers rationalised their cowardice and inaction. That's quite far from Aretê.

Reading the opening paragraph was enough to make me puke. Literally, "poetic, therefore insightful". No.
>As a kid, I was a fan of Plato, Aristotle, and some more modern philosophers.
I very much doubt that. They most likely went completely over his brainlet's head.

Read the story of the chef in the Zhuangzi. Or the guy who catches cicadas in the Liezi.
Wu-wei is perfected aretê (in regards to a technê).

is that from Yuk Hui - The question concerning Technology in China? i have the book in the pile but haven't gotten through it yet

N-no, is this a meme I'm missing out on?

nah, but the guy seems to be mixing the same kind of chink and greek technobabble, so i thought it might be from there

only book i know that answer questions:
ichingonline.net/

ikr

A little coercion goes a long way.

you don't read the I Ching
the I Ching reads you
also,
you are a pleb

""""""edgy""""""

>This is quite frankly disgusting.

>implying pride is desirable

>thinking I want to have anything to do with that normalfag cesspit
You know what, why don't _you_ go to ?

>no u
middle school tier at best
are you even trying?

Do as the Daoists:

>best modern scholarly English translation and commentary of the Dao De Jing:
>Dao De Jing: A Philosophical Translation (Ames)
>intriguing German Idealist translation (English ttanslations of the translation available) and commentary:
>Tao Te Ching: Book of Meaning and Life (Wilhelm)
>poetic English translation without commentary:
>Tao Te Ching: The Book of the Way (Mitchell)
>for the lulz occult English translation:
>Tao Teh King: Liber CLVII (Crowley)
>best English version of Chuang Tzu:
>Complete Works of Zhuangzi (Watson)
>comfy Christian-ized version:
>Way of Chuang Tzu (Merton)
>Best I-Ching:
>read a few... I suggest Wilhelm (translation of translation again), Cleary (there's a comfy pocket sized version), and Huang
>Eventually you will probably want or need all of Cleary's Daoist Classics (Four Volumes) in English
>and for why tf not:
>Secret of the Golden Flower (Jung)

>are you even trying?
No. Why should I? Fuck off.

Was a retarded book.
Only thing useful you can get out of it, is the "be wather mah friend". Everything else is dumb.

Any thoughts on pic related?

for those reading french and interested in the subject, there is this:
Philosophes taoïstes - La Pléiade

I recommend Chuang-Tzu too; Inner Chapters is too comfy.
eheart.com/TAO/CTchapters-small.pdf

bump for awesomeness

>muh wu wei
>i don't bother you, don't bother me.

>Due notin' an' u wife weaw m'proof
Wow bro, never thought of it like that.

some important alternatives that you missed:

for the laotzu:
the waley translation and its introductory study are well reputed in academia
>the way and its power by a. waley
i havent read it but just found the dc lau translation. he is usually a good translator and his introductions are of authority (eg the analects and the mencius)
>lao tzu tao te ching by d.c. lau

for the chuang tzu:
the version by ac graham has an indispensable introduction and an interesting organization of the text. it is an almost full translation contrary to its title. totally worth checking after one is familiar with the text
>the seven inner chapters by a.c. graham
the version by mair is a good complement to that of watson, from a literary pov.
>wandering on the way by v. mair
i would add the liehtzu, it has good texts in the vein of chuangtzu
the best translation is that of graham. there is and old one without the yangchu chapter and a recent one by eva wong that is something between a paraphrase and an actual translation.
>the book of lieh tzu by a.c. graham
>lieh-tzu a taoist guide to practical living by e. wong

for the i ching:
the wilhelm translation is indeed the most read, but maybe should be taken with a grain of salt: he was a christian missionary and sometimes his translation is criticized on those grounds.
the blofeld translation is a good one too.
>i ching the book of change by j. blofeld
i would add the studies made by wilhelm's son, they throw some light.
>heaven, earth, and man in the book of changes by h. wilhelm
>understanding the I ching by h. wilhelm

a couple of additions to the classics:
the guanzi has some important texts in the vein of the laotzu, that are even better imo, notably the nei yeh or inward training.
>the original tao by h. roth
the huainantzu might be a bit biased by its political motivations but it still has interesting passages. there are several translations
>wikipedia.org/wiki/Huainanzi

and finally a couple of chan treatises that are good to further ones path after the classics:
the classic of the linji school, the linjilu
>the zen teachings of master lin-chi by b. watson
the piyenlu, the biggest gong'an (koan) collection and a basic for those into chan/zen
>the blue cliff record by t. cleary

that book is so polysemic that you can say anything about it without being entirely wrong

Your mom's so polysemic you don't know the name of your father.