Is Veeky Forums liberal again yet?

I used to come here so often but then it became way more /pol/ allied in 2015. Have things moved back yet?

Also, I'm about halfway through The Recognitions, would love to talk about it with someone.

I've read it twice, ask away f a m

>have things moved back yet?
Obviously, don't you know that /lit is made of a collective unconscious tightly controlled by Viconian motions?

Not too many questions I don't think, but I just wanted to talk about the overall themeing.

I think the contrast between Otto making "original work" that people think has been plagiarized because he's so unimaginative and Wyatt making "fakes" into which he puts such an immense amount of effort, thought and originality is really interesting.

Like, I am loving it a lot more than I thought I would. It's way more readable than I would have expected and a lot funnier. Is JR as good as this?

Nope, no idea.

maybe you should go back to r*Ddit instead of crying about everything being /pol/

It feels really good to post that again.

Dont use liberal like an American

We are an international board of scholars, intellectuals, artists, and writers.

And we carry the flame of humanity ever onward.

lol

It's certainly more leftist these days.

Fuck yeah bro we are so liberal let's call out everything we dont like!

JR is better

Nah.

/pol/ has been a cancer that destroyed this site. It drove out most of the intellectuals and made the website synonymous with white supremacy.

Veeky Forums is never going to be an SJW haven and I don't want to to be but /pol/acks are fucking disgusting.

you might need medical attention if you see /pol/ everywhere

/pol/ was everywhere back during election season. I'm asking if they still are. I haven't been back in quite some time.

JR is the better work, but The Recognitions is the more impactful work.

true, we do

I agree with you mane. /pol/ haven't been /pol/ for years

caring about politics is gay

… sure

Faggot.

Define liberal.

ALWAYS FORWARD

Did you just read The Road by Corncob or some shit?

This place and everywhere, in virtual space and the rest of the white world, will continue to become less liberal until brown people start being removed en masse.

Veeky Forums is an apolitical board. i wish

>liberal

Literature, as an art, is inherently liberal (maybe not in the way retarded Americans use the word).
But if you're asking whether the neo-/pol/tards from Reddit that came en masse during the election cycle have left the site yet: the answer is no, and they probably never will.

Sorry I didn't reply after saying ask away, I went out

J R is both worse and better than The Recognitions. Unfortunately, what draws most people to The Recognitions is its kunstlerroman themes and Wyatt (the "Pure" artist) as a character. After The Recognitions Gaddis descended into a much deeper cynicism, and the whole of J R is an attack on the commodification of language and the Protestant work ethic. There are literally hundreds of pages of business jargon, dale-carnegie-self-help nonsense, constant discussions of the dow jones and stocks, and almost ever character is interrupted the whole book. While The Recognitions makes dozens of classical allusions, J R is difficult through the sheer bulk of the text (key events occur that can only be understood inferentially through dialogue, and 90% of the novel is unattributed dialogue) and the fact that you have to consciously learn the character voices (if you're a good reader its not that hard) to often learn who's talking. The Recognitions is also the only book Gaddis ever wrote that ends positively. J R takes on the style of Cervantes where he just slowly bludgeons each of the characters to death with day to day life. By the end of the work you actually hate the main character (Edward Bast) and come to appreciate the cynical douchebag side character (Jack Gibbs). After having read both several times, while I do reread The Recognitions at least once every two years, J R is my favourite. Its a perfect concentration of the shit that kept Marx up at night. I did however give up halfway through before starting again a few weeks later. There's little "plot" in the regular sense and more of a character drama where time, entropy, and selfishness destroys each and every individual.

I also heartily recommend A Frolic of His Own (an easier read, not about forgery or business, but about the law), Carpenter's Gothic (his shortest work, a family drama that takes place entirely in a single house), Agape Agape (his final novel, where a Lear-like figure rants for close to a hundred pages about how technology and commerce are eroding the meaning of art, very like a Thomas Bernhard novel). I haven't read The Rush for Second Place (nonfiction) but I've heard its very similar to Agape Agape

tl;dr J R is better but for different reasons you may not appreciate yet.

>inherently liberal
>tfw when the post 60s jewish zeitgeist is all you know and understand
We taught you well, goy.

I adored The Recognitions. I read it like four years ago over a three week period And to this day I still think about it quite often.

But, Recktall Brown is one of the worst character names ever.

I'll chime in about JR being a tiny bit better.

God damn you guys... Looks like I got to go to the library and get JR now.

>muh 1-dimensional political axis that everything can be reduced to
fucking hell, don't come back

It's inherently conservative as all of it is an inward-looking reflection expressed outwardly.

>We are an international board of scholars, intellectuals, artists, and writers.
OH NO NO NO HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA