Why didn't he just go full artist?

Why didn't he just go full artist?

Other urls found in this thread:

scimagojr.com/countryrank.php?area=1200&category=1211
philpapers.org/surveys/demographics.pl
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Remember how he went nuts at the end of his life? That's why
He needed to be a philosopher because to unbridle his mind to create art would have left him gabbling in the woods at 20

Is it too pseud to say my favorite prose stylist is Nietzsche?

Lol, I often have thought this about him. It's like he staved it off for as long as he could without changing his philosophy too radically.

Nah, it's an N thread. Who else do you enjoy user? Of he, Kierkegaard and Schopenhauer it is hard to say which style touches me deepest.

Art is too masturbatory.

Not that user but I'm with you. They're all great, and I'd lump in Montaigne, as Nietzsche would, as another.

He did. Art/Philosophy division is arbitrary.

No but I meant full on doing painting on canvas and expresing his deepest insights and inspirations in that and poetry instead of philosophy discourse

Philosophy is way wankier

That's like asking why John Lennon didn't sculpt bronze instead of write music.

Don't be a dolt

Am I to distrust joy?

He literally has written a good amount of poems.

Anyone working in any medium not dealing with material sciences is an artist.

Nietzsche wrote quite a bit of poetry, and pretty good poetry at that.

he also composed

He was good for nothing.

Sucks at music.
Sucks at philology.
Sucks at philosophy.

No question why he is so popular on Veeky Forums.

no, even Thomas Mann said in an essay, that
>the germans learnt to write prose, first and foremost from Schopenhauer and Nietzsche

Some of his poems are pretty good
his philological work was quite influencial and is cited to this day
his philosophy (wheter you like it or not) is probably the most influencial since Kant

You aren't even wrong, he unironically wasn't very good (to put it kindly) at many subjects considered important and borderline required for a professor/gentleman at the time.

>ywn watch a film directed and writen by F. Nietzsche
Feels bad

If anything you need to get the fuck away from philosophy to unbridle your mind.

>his philosophy (wheter you like it or not) is probably the most influencial since Kant

Stop reading "Leiter Reports", I'm suffering from second-hand embarrassment from this statement.

and was shit at it.

Bro it turns out there's philosophy done outside the anglo analytic niche and some of it is massively influenced by Nietzsche through the likes of Heidegger, Foucault, Derrida, Deleuze, etc.

He was a terrible pianist, even though he dreamt of becoming a great musician.

>anglo analytic niche
>niche
You definitely need to stop browsing whatever forum your getting this from, the United States and United Kingdom produce more philosophy than the rest of the world combined, I understand at times Veeky Forums makes it feel like Continental philosophy is popular.

Really myopic and ignorant post.

t. grad student in top analytic phil dept

lol. anglo who never stepped outside his neighborhood.

>through the likes of Heidegger, Foucault, Derrida, Deleuze, etc.

Or you know like Mill you fucktard.

The fuck are you talking about?

I hope to god you aren't

I'm not. Elaborate on

Are you implying "the United States and United Kingdom produce more philosophy than the rest of the world combined" is wrong?

Not because I necessarily disagree (although I suspect I do), but because I simply can't understand what point you're trying to make

Former philosophy student here. He's not wrong. Nietzsche is unquestionably the most influential since Kant.

I don't know, probably -- there's a lot of world out there. But there's at least a case to be made about Nietzsche's influence, it's not so small you can just dismiss it out of hand like you did. I think you massively overestimate the scale of analytic philosophy and massively underestimate the scale of continental philosophy.

Certainly more influential than J S Mill, whose descendants almost exclusively inhabit a ghetto in analytic metaethics. Locke or Hume would have been a better pick, but I think Nietzsche is still more influential.

theyre different things, honestly contintal philosophy and anglo-analytic are only really connected by the word 'philosophy' now

>there's a lot of world out there
There isn't, there's actually very few countries that invest so heavily in the humanities as those two.

scimagojr.com/countryrank.php?area=1200&category=1211

It actually heavily dependents on how strict your definition of philosophy is, JS Mill has been massively influential through the Chicago School and political liberalism.

Good point, well taken.

he went nuts because of syphillis though

I thought the syphilis thing was largely discounted and the going theory is some sort of brain tumor

>Locke or Hume would have been a better pick, but I think Nietzsche is still more influential.
If we're considering Hume after Kant Hume is definitely more influential than Nietzsche, Philosophers love to think of themselves as Hume: philpapers.org/surveys/demographics.pl

philpapers is an anglo analytic apparatus, I suspect there's a lot of selection bias
Not sure how you could even get comprehensive data, given what said

Actually I kinda regret making that comment seconds after I posted it, Hume's philosophy while also influential I'd say (anglo?) philosophers are more attracted to his personality, character and writing style than his philosophy itself.

Read De Maistre.
To answer OP's question, he did.

>virgin
>syphilis

>Remember how he went nuts at the end of his life? That's why
Nope. He went nuts because he realised he was full of shit.

Just like N's "philosophy", you mean?

That's just Nietzsche projecting. He was a genuine sophist.

You forgot the part where he was an edgy good for nothing. Veeky Forums likes the edgy part. The good for nothing part is just a bonus, especially for self-inserting.

It was a far more banal mental breakdown + embarrassment.

How did he got away with it?
>imblying there is a difference between philosopher and sophist

Aristotle