Anyone want to throw down and rent an studio in Tokyo...

Anyone want to throw down and rent an studio in Tokyo? If we got 5 or 6 people together sleeping on the floors we could probably collectively feed ourselves and keep a roof over our heads.

Life is the City, and Tokyo is the largest city in the world. Everything that isn't a major city is a historic version of a major city or a town that desperately wants to be one. Look at any society and you'll see two opposites: living in a small village (which represents the past) and living in a major city (which represents the present and future). Every other town or place is between them, and are thus irrelvant in comparison. The same instinct that made one type of prehistoric man begin cutting down trees and settling in a small village is the same instinct that motivated white people to see native indians and their way of life as inferior and destroy them and replace their landscapes with carefully-designed grids of practical businesses and homes whose occupants have gradually become more insular and autistic and obsessed with order. Japan is ahead of the overall general trend of human "advancement" which is a gradual movement towards complete personal isolation, which in turn promotes autism, solipsism and the desire to dominate one's environment as much as possible. Autism is the future, and Japan is the apotheosis of autism.

The ennui of the 21st century is not yesterday's ennui. It is not being romantically oblomovian, or living the life of a Dostoevsky or Tolstoy character. It is being a commodity in a gargantuan market, which is simply a wart on the side of YA, which is a wart on media. It is walking outside to write a nature poem and being greeted by railing and pathways and bicyclists and honking, and writing on the railing and the pathways and the bicyclists and the honking, because the pastoral and the natural is dead. It is writing an elegy to the stars because the sky is dead because the city lives at night and hums into the sky. It is writing on the hollow and the codified and the quantified, volumes of work drowned in volumes of commentary.

The old "literary" lifestyle is dead. All that there is now are cars and monitors.

In Japan we can create an art movement for our new media environments. A new techno-tribal digital identity in the making. A new race of man in the global village.

i loved tokyo, but i could never live there. shanghai is the place for artistic freedom meeting the potential for patronage.

>inc influx of art from expats in shanghai

>Life is the City
>small village (which represents the past)

Imagine being this poorly educated

I would but you know you need a visa, right?

Fucking Americans think they can just waltz into another country and settle down.

sorry, no interest in tokyo

Haha fucking weeabo.

u srs? japan is no application 90 day entrance. all you have to do is exit and reenter the country once every three months

What is the most cost effective way to do this? Would it be possible to rent anything other than motel rooms on a weekly basis as a person with no visa?

idk as specifically about japan, but my experience in china (which is culturally more distant from Japan than the US is IMO), if you flash money, you can figure it out.

Also, with the rise of airBnB esque bullshit you can just find a living situation like that which is closer to an apartment living-wise

That's a stupid idea, weeb. Gaijin stay out, Japan doesn't want you.

my bigger question is why japan over china if you're looking for an artist's haven?

I've spent time in both places, though much more time in China, and I'm telling you that China is heaven on earth. the money that rich chinese want to spend to educate their young is obscene, more disproportionate income to tutor SAT in shanghai than to be Mozart as a personal music teacher in Salzburg

So if we lived in Fukuoka and took a boat ride to Tsushima and Busan every three months, we'd be good?

>Everything that isn't a major city is a historic version of a major city or a town that desperately wants to be one. Look at any society and you'll see two opposites: living in a small village (which represents the past) and living in a major city (which represents the present and future). Every other town or place is between them, and are thus irrelvant in comparison.
You've got your head up your ass

I'm not OP, I'm just interested in whether or not his idea is feasible. I have no degree, so no Chinese (or Japanese) person would hire me as a tutor, no matter how much I know.

I currently live in a small town in Japan. You have no idea what you are talking about.

yes, if you have no degree, you're fucked for international work in any case. you can get a tourist visa but you will have to be obviously fraudulent to get clients, and that kind of fraudulence deters the confidence you need to get those clients in the first palce

if you look white enough and speak english they fucking will

They won't. There is a massive foreign community here that have degrees that eat up all the work you are talking about.

you say that but clever foreigners are flooding the market. in fact, they increasingly pay more to the elite university graduates and absolutely nothing to anything less, just like any other market

>tfw no cyberpunk bandana-wearing gang of sweaty anxious autistic rick owens wearing anime watching upskirt seeking gang of Veeky Forums friends to haunt tokyo with

>small town

>tfw stagnant uk neet with a measly 1k in bank account and no passport
I feel I need some sort of radical change in my life to kickstart my future. I'm not actually stupid to the point of thinking that OP's post would work like a charm but living a life of incremental change is really getting me down

wat do

why is that funny?

Admittedly I did not read your whole post OP. But rent in Tokyo is nothing like New York. You could live in Central Tokyo and have a studio apartment for around 600 - 800 bucks a month. And if you are willing to live a little further, it gets cheaper. So there is really no need to have roommates. That said, if Veeky Forums ever wants to do an event in Tokyo, I wouldn't mind joining

Everyone is so busy being educated, no one has time to think. It's not a little depressing how prescient Schopenhauer was about this sort of thing

Go hop on a Norwegian merchant ship

easy to be resentful, but i'm educated and i have plenty of time to think. in fact, i can eat all your potential job offers up and work less than 30 hours a week.

>insert 'there will be blood' picture

Be honest with yourself about how hard you're working. You're a human being, you have interests - so what are you doing about them? Are you putting in effort? Or floating along? Life requires sacrifice

Resentful? No. That would imply that I'm jealous, and want to work in a field that drains my creative energy, like tutoring. I only mentioned my lack of a degree to indicate that the state of the market for educated westerners would have no objective bearing on my decisions. It depresses me that degrees are commodified as ends in themselves, which is not to say anything against them. Schopenhauer had Ph.D.

Going to university, especially at an older age, I enjoyed the experience more than anything in my life up to this point.

I wonder how well that'd actually turn out desu

>blog post incoming:
as I said I'm a NEET, I'm going nowhere in life, though I do pay rent. I get universal income in the UK due partially to some psychiatric issues. I'm not that invested in my interests and I don't have the money or ambition to pursue the ones I do have. I'm in a situation where I can stay a NEET for the forseeable future but I'm searching for more.

I think I need something really major to change in my life to snap me out of this apathetic floating, It's what made me click the thread. like if I moved to another country it would give me a whole new drive, but that ain't gonna happen 'cos I don't have the cash. I would get a job and work towards that goal, but as it stands I think working a 9 - 5 would either get me stuck in another flavour of 'day in, day out' situation with no discernable way out, or put me on suicide watch. despite that I'm fully willing to admit I'm a lazy piece of shit.

Yes, I would probably also enjoy it, but I'm a mid-semester multiple dropout who has fucky grades as a result. The only place that would take me is the shit community college I have already dropped out of twice because every single non-faculty member I interacted with there (and I actually made an effort) was silly. I wish I hadn't dropped out of the bretty gud liberal arts college I got into when I was 19, but there is no going back, so as I see it I have no choice but to take the autodidact route if I don't want to regress. In short, I wish I had that option, but I don't, and I can only work with what I have.

Also, drugs are bad, m'kay.

>that the state of the market for educated westerners would have no objective bearing on my decision

that's literally fucking hilarious considering how everyone has to eat and i can eat after one hour a week of tutoring whereas any other job, including those in finance, chem engineering, and computational biowhatthefuck all have to work 2-5 hours of more mentally-demanding tasks to get the same.

in short, think of it this way, if you tutored for one year of 60 hour work weeks every week, you could retire by age 28 (if you're my age, that is)

>"I have plenty of time to think"
>fails to comprehend written English

It would be lovely if I could be employed as a tutor, and retire at 28. But if I accept your above assertion that anyone less than an "elite university graduate" gets paid "absolutely nothing," and I do accept this, then the state of the market can have no reasonable bearing on my decision, because I wouldn't be a part of this market. Again, I don't have any degree, let alone an "elite" education.

...sorry if I assumed you have any sliver of logistical bearing.

In short, if you have no degree, it should have an effect on your decision. Japan is one of the most expensive countries to live, and you're thinking about moving there as an unemployable person who (I assume) can't speak the language and would have to finance leaving the country every odd month just to legally be present there.

Srs, i've been baited.

You think I couldn't work as a meat-packer, or in some sort of menial profession? I'm bigger and stronger than the vast majority of Japanese or Korean born people I've met. If I'm only paying for my own food, and renting a shitty little apartment, I think I could swing a small city. I doubt every place is as expensive as Tokyo.

you couldn't get a job as a non-Japanese in anything other than a highly-educated position.

Have you ever been in a foreign country? Do you think island nations like Japan need migrant work for meat packing???

Even if they did, the number of eastern Europeans and Africans that study Japanese just for the prospect of finding migrant work is insane.

Sorry to bust your dreams, my friend, but you can scam your way into China if you want, which, I maintain, is much better for someone who wants to live a literary lifestyle.

if ur srs about moving abroad, reply me your email and i can whore you out to some english schools here that take non-native speakers, bc as a person without a degree, you're basically a non-native speaker

Yes, I have.
>Even if they did, the number of eastern Europeans and Africans that study Japanese just for the prospect of finding migrant work is insane.
This seems dubious, if Japan doesn't need the migrant labor. And how can you say that having no degree is such a problem in Japan, if you only know "specifically" about China? The market I was referring to was the market for educated western tutors, not the general market. If it is the case that it is significantly harder to find a job without a degree throughout the whole of Japan than it is throughout the whole of the US, that would be a definite factor.

You're treating this like it was my idea, when I was only having a hypothetical discussion about whether OP's idea was feasible in my situation. It is in no way "my dream" to live in Japan.

China would be easier anyway, I took four years of Mandarin. No, I'm not serious about it.

Japan doesn't need migrant labor but there are enough 1-2 generation immigrants that can invite their Japanese-speaking families for any new positions, which have definite priority over uneducated Americans.

>If it is the case that it's....

????? you seriously think that someone would illegally employ a tourist visa american over a legal japanese citizen? or do you think that the embassy would grant a US citizen a work visa for their "skills" in meat packing?

Honestly, just from the way you're presenting your argument, you can tell that you've never dealt with international labor markets.

Never dealt with the Japanese market, anyway. Thank you for enlightening me

Hey, I just met you.
And this is crazy.
But here's my number.
So call me maybe.

sorry for the arrogance i'm just day drunk and dealing with shitty rich-kid students at the same time.

japan is saturated with low-education professionals (chefs, managers, technical shit) who are from developing countries and are genuinely better than american workers.

an american passport is great for getting into a country, but it's pretty equal for staying unless you have a decent education. and even then i get fucked for visa shit regularly and end up operating illegally in most places that i work.

Goddamn, that sounds just awful. Maybe staying off the liquid Christianity would make the students more tolerable? Although the balance is on the opposite being the case

Holy shit you sound like the exact type of person I hate.

t. buttblasted wagie

I live in Tokyo. I work as an English teacher. You can't just move here without a job lined up. To detach English you need a bachelor's degree.

t. a living corpse, shamelessly leeching off society

>living corpse
No, that's you
>shamelessly leeching off society
Yes. Cry harder

Resorting to cliched namecalling has no effect on the contemporary NEET. We are economic auto-didacts, self-taught philosophers and gifted visionaries. While others waste their life labouring under the orders of those who see only material cost in life, we pursue leisure above all else, knowing as we do that leisure and time to oneself is the basis of genius. Despite many people disliking the culture and society they help maintain through their work, and despite understanding now that we have only a single life on earth and that any meaning we attribute to it as the result of self-willed or socially-inculcated ideologies, they continue to wake early and trudge to their jobs for one single reason: Guilt. Throughout time religions have taken advantage of Man's guilt, a guilt experienced for no logical reason except that he unlike other animals is a self-aware being whose abstract thoughts conflict with the apparently practical, rational reality he finds himself a part of. We post-guilt NEETs will not bow to internal or external pressures encouraging us to sacrifice our contentment and sensitive dispositions for the sake of attaining money, or womenfolk. We alone stand proudly, detached from but keenly observant of the slave masses who yell at us for not being as unhappy as they are. We alone, we band of true men, defend our right to live a dignified life against those wishing to deprive of us of it. Yes you can mock, you can criticize, you can echo the demands your masters make upon you. But who is likely to regret their lives more? The noble and dignified NEETs who spend their truly precious time reading, pondering, philosophizing and engaging in critical, urgent debate online? Or the miserable, resentful masses, their eyes bloated and sagged by excess folds of skin, their hair falling out and their gums bleeding from stress, their bowels destroyed by a sedentary lifestyle spent at their desks clicking endlessly while their boss breaths down their necks? This is reality. This is 2017. We are the future.

I hate myself too user, so when I do go through with this, I'll become a dead eyed wagie or I'll off myself. you should try incentivising me because it's a win-win for you.

It would be my honor to work you to death, user. :')

Nice pasta lazybones

Just find a part-time job and attend. I thought it’s unbearable as a student, then I got a job and I’m content with it.

Be honest: what do you do from 9-5? Jerk off, watch Netflix, useless bullshit. You could be making money in that time. And work will teach you to value your time. It’s easy to postpone whatever you need to or “want” to do when you do nothing all day and feel like you have all the time in the world. It’s a whole lot different when work takes 6 or more hours out of your day. The time you spend doing nothing feels wasted, because it is fucking wasted.
Moving to another city won’t help, I can tell you that.

>NEET moves to Tokyo
>has never held a job
>has to work or he starved
>he starves

>trying to talk sense into a bonafide NEET

Bless your soul, my lil angel.

Sarcasm and ridicule has no effect on the contemporary NEET.

This
You can live in Hong Kong with just English. While in Tokyo you'll get jap racism (which I'm not criticizing).