I've had a frozen ribeye steak in the freezer for almost a year now...

I've had a frozen ribeye steak in the freezer for almost a year now. It was hidden under some other shit (i have a big freezer)

I know it's probably safe to eat, but I'm nervous it won't have the quality for a "regular steak"

I was thinking about grilling it then slicing it for sandwiches

thoughts?

Attached: frozen-ribeyes.jpg (700x420, 90K)

Other urls found in this thread:

foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/filet-of-beef-bourguignon-recipe-1957232
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

make a cheese steak sandwich, the cheese should mask the freezer funk

defrost, cut off freezer burned parts, slap on grill like normal.

Make pasta sauce, slow simmer until the meat starts falling off the bone, remove and chunk when cool enough to handle and add back to sause. Goes good with a ziti or other big pasta.

What a waste of a rib-eye. Don't do this.

>i have a big freezer
So I'm guessing it's not a self-defrost?
If not then everything should be fine. Most freezer burns are caused by the defrost cycle.

Fuck you poorfag.

Attached: 6D67CA8B-261E-4979-85A6-AC9DC412CAB4.jpg (640x640, 119K)

You're a fucking idiot. If you want to stew something use a tougher cut of meat like beef shank. You don't know anything about cooking if you think you should be stewing a rib-eye steak.

If it was vacuum sealed the chances are it will only have degraded texture. Even after a year I find most meats do fine when cooked.

Do it all the time... It comes out tender.

Guess you never heard of ribeye stew.

OF COURSE IT COMES OUT TENDER ITS A FUCKING RIBEYE

That's not the point, moron. Ribeye is tender and wonderful when consumed as-is with minimal cooking (sear, midrare). Other far cheaper cuts can become tender if you slow simmer them; using a ribeye in this way ignores the innate qualities of a ribeye that makes it a desirable cut.

No one is saying that it won't come out good, but you could use other cuts and get the same end result, whereas other cuts cannot be cooked in the same way that a ribeye allows.

So you, as a poorfag, prefer gnawing on cardboard textured meat in a pasta sauce?

And you say I can’t cook, kek!

To continue, stewing a ribeye is actually less desirable than meat with more collagen, because there is less collagen to break down and flavor/thicken the end product. For the same reason, one should not simmer filet mignon for a long time in a stew.

put a rib eye steak into deep freeze for a year and it transforms into a rump steak.

do you even life experience?

Slow-simmered shoulder is not "cardboard textured". Based on this post, I'm inclined to believe you're trolling.

Again, work within your means. It has good flavor, good textures and I don’t need to cook it all day. It just happens to make killer pasta sauce too.

I thought freezing it locks in the flavour?

Again, I’m not cooking for 12 hours... it’s a fast and delicious pasta sauce. If you only use ground beef or shanks, good for you. I never said I was making all out authentic Italian sause. (Don’t knock it til you’ve tried it).

No doubt they are off googling ribeye pasta sauce and yelling at their computer screens...

>eating a year old piece of meat
wew

Some people make rib-eye burgers as well, but they're also idiots like you.

Again, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. Make your sauce with beef shank and I guarantee it will be much nicer.

Good thing I didn’t mention making chili...

I don’t want to cook sauce for four hours...

Cheaper and tougher cuts of meat produce more flavorsome stews. You really don't know what you're talking about.

Stewing a rib-eye will ruin it. It will be far more flavorsome cooked on a grill.

>he's never heard of classic boeuf bourguignon which is a beef tenderloin in a stew.

I’m making a tomato pasta sauce with ribeye steaks... not Nonna getting up at 4 AM to simmer until 7PM, capire?

Beef bourguignon is a peasant dish, and it isn't traditionally made with tenderloin, it's made with braising meat like chuck or shin. You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Ingredients:

• 2 rib eye steaks (about 1 pound each), trimmed of excess fat and cubed
• Salt
• Black pepper
• 4 tablespoons flour, divided use
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 2 tablespoons avocado (or olive) oil
• 2 small white onions, quartered and sliced
• 16 ounces (1 pound) sliced mushrooms
• 4 cloves garlic, pressed through garlic press
• 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
• 1 cup ale
• 6 cups beef stock, hot
• 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
• 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves

Preparation:

-Add the cubed steak to a large bowl, sprinkle with a couple of good pinches of salt and black pepper, as well as 2 tablespoons of the flour, and toss to coat.

-Place a large soup pot over medium-high heat, add in the butter and the oil, and once melted together and super hot, add in the steak cubes and brown on all sides, about 3 minutes or so (steak should be rare on the inside, you only want color on the outside); remove from pot and set aside.

-Add into the pot a drizzle more oil if needed, and add in the onions and the mushrooms, along with a pinch or two of salt and pepper, and saute those together for about 10-12 minutes or so, until slightly golden.

-Stir in the garlic, and once aromatic, stir in the Italian seasoning, and add in the cup of ale; allow the ale to simmer vigorously for about 5 minutes or so, until it reduces and thickens slightly.

-Sprinkle in the remaining 2 tablespoons of the flour and whisk to blend, followed by the hot beef stock; stir together and then bring to a simmer over medium heat, allowing the soup to simmer uncovered for about 20-22 minutes so that it slightly reduces.

-Turn off the heat and return the browned steak back into the pot with it’s juices; allow the soup to sit for about 5 minutes or so before serving, just to allow the steak to cook through a bit more in the heat of the soup (you want it to remain tender—medium-rare to medium—and not become overcooked).

-Finish with the parsley and the thyme.

just dont thaw first. direct sear from frozen and then grill

thaw it out cut off the freezer burn parts shake some bromelain on it and let it sit for a few hours. After that grill it up then chop it up into a nice mince and slap it on a hoagie roll with some mayo and provolone.

You guys would love my American Wagyu Street Tacos with Jicama Slaw and Cilantro Creme Fraiche...

>I use chateaubriand but chuck steak is fine.
foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/filet-of-beef-bourguignon-recipe-1957232

Attached: ina.jpg (500x610, 61K)

DO NOT DEFROST

You sound hella gay.

You sound hella common.

let it thaw enough to cut it super thin.
make steak sandwiches.

Ribeye is garbage