Been "Reading" the bible for three months now, and I'm only at Samuel

Been "Reading" the bible for three months now, and I'm only at Samuel.
Any tips on how to keep the bible fresh and motivation for completing it?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typology_(theology)]
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Love God.

Keep reading because it's interesting nigga. If you're reading cover to cover, you can skip Chronicles when you come to it. It starts with boring genealogies and then recaps most of Kings.

If you're mainly in it for the narrative, when you finish Kings you can go onto Ezra and Nehemia, then 1 and 2 Maccabees (if you've got a Catholic Bible or Apocrypha).

Why do you want to read the Bible?

W-w-what do you mean, "Reading"?

Take a break and read the Gospel of John.

that's impossible

Skip around, it's not fully chronological anyway

>only a quarter way through Leviticus
>realize you have 2 3/4th more books of legalese and detailed ritual descriptions before you get to anything interesting again

I've read Deleuze, Lacan, and Debord, and every one of them was easier to read than this. God help me

>reading cover to cover
For your own sanity stop. The Bible wasn’t written with this in mind (it’s a collection of books, not one single book) and wasn’t compiled for it either. Someone needs to make an infographic for reading the Bible. Anyway, just skip ahead to Joshua, keep reading until you finish Esther, then read Isaiah. After that go into the NT and read Luke, Acts of the Apostles, and Romans. Then go back and read the minor prophets in the OT (look it up), then read Matthew and Hebrews. Then re-read Isaiah, then Ezekiel and Daniel, then jump to Revelation.

This is by no means definitive but it is better than what you’re doing and will put the various parts of Christianity within context.

Oh and read Proverbs, Song of Songs and Ecclesiastes after you finish 2nd Chronicles . It’s a trilogy written by Solomon (who you’ll be very familiar with at that point) at various stages of his life and it’s incredible.
>Proverbs
Wisdom and intellectual fulfillment
>Song of Songs
Romantic and sexual desire
>Ecclesiastes
Mortality, futility of human ends and fulfillment in the Divine

Read Job at any point, but keep in mind it’s a theological work about suffering and may or may not be entirely mythical, especially considering the prologue.

I'm not reading cover to cover, but I am reading the Pentateuch through 2 Kings in order, then skipping around as I've seen a few sources recommend. I've generally seen people recommend to read all the prophets before starting the NT though, what's the reason for doing them mixed together?

Appreciate the tips btw, thanks

>he actually read the Book of Leviticus

Even Moses didnt expect people to read that shit. It was a prank.

>"Reading"
So you've just been looking at the pages and admiring the ink?

I feel like if you don't read the Bible from the beginning, you lose appreciation of the fact that the book is basically without structure. It's five thousand years of random people wandering around and fighting wars and random shit happening to them.

>3 months
>at samuel
You must be reading at a pace of less than 5 pages a day, wew.

Numbers actually has a surprising amount of cool stuff.

Not all of the NT gospels reference the prophets to the same level. Mark and Luke are both aimed at a Gentile audience, whereas Matthew and Hebrews were specifically written for a Jewish audience, and therefore have a ton of prophetic references. Isaiah, Ezekiel and Daniel have a lot of messianic prophecy, but also a lot of apocalyptic writing and mirror Revelation in a way.

My suggestion certainly isn’t the only way to read the Bible, it’s just how I would go through it if I was helping someone who was starting from a blank slate.

I only read Leviticus after learning more about ancient near eastern cultic practices, it was incredibly interesting coming to it with the background knowledge. 90% of its significance would have gone over my head if I read it the first time I went through the Bible.

This
>And then the people complained and God killed 20,000 of them with a plague

I don't understand the "prophetic" part
The prophets seem to be referring to something else

Skip around and read the parts that interest you rather than forcibly grinding through stuff that you don't want to read.

if pedophilic sex bondage is cool I guess

Of course it is.

This is the main reason I recommend that everyone reads the New Testament before the Old Testament. It's much easier to recognize types [en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typology_(theology)] in the Old Testament after reading the New Testament than it is to remember them when you get to the New Testament. Never in the history of Christianity was it recommended that people new to the scriptures start with the Old Testament. Also, never in the history of Christianity was it recommended that people try to interpret the scriptures without the guidance of the Church. Leviticus is incredibly rich, and much of it will factor into events in the Gospels and the rest of the New Testament, right up to and including the Apocalypse. But it's incredibly difficult to be understood if you don't have the guidance of the Church (in that I include reading the Fathers, reading and participating in liturgical materials, discussions with your priest and friends from church, etc.), and especially if you haven't already read the New Testament.