The man without qualities quote

Why haven't you read this yet, Veeky Forums? Because of its lenght?

This is just beautiful. God-tier prose mixed with philosophy. Is there anything better?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/eXnEWQb
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Wrong title, "quote" shouldn't be here

Because lit only read memes

Because I’m still reading Törless

is pic related a good translation?

I don't know personally I read it in italian

I've read up until the part where Ulrich seduces his first mistress with his philosophical autism after being literally beat up on the street. But it's later revealed she definitely wanted it. Normally I would laugh at such a literary development but Musil definitely has a charming way of narrating it, straightforward at parts, then divulging into a multi-chapter but still quite readable observation of life and its constituents. I feel most people should at least try it, from what I read it's a lot more aloof than ISoLT and Ulysses

>he reads for the plot

My favorite book. Nothing comes close.

The Man Without Quotes

i'm waiting until it gets published in one volume. im not paying twice as much money for the same fucking book.

Being the case, I have literally never seen anyone talk about anything concrete or even remotely metaphysical in any of the Man Without Quality Threads

It already is dumdum, check Picador. Not the abridged version they also have mind you, the one with 1000+ pages, though it's fairly out of print, and look how damn unwieldy it is

>Ulrich seduces his first mistress with his philosophical autism after being literally beat up on the street. But it's later revealed she definitely wanted it. Normally I would laugh at such a literary development but Musil definitely has a charming way of narrating it, straightforward at parts, then divulging into a multi-chapter but still quite readable observation of life and its constituents

this plotline becomes quite touching as it develops: Musil's characterization of Bonadea has a lot of compassion, so I disagree with
>from what I read it's a lot more aloof than ISoLT and Ulysses

musil weirdly reminds me of dostoevsky insofar as his characters are all "more real than real people" - their characterization is so strong but they talk with such intensity and elaboration the way that no real humans have ever communicated except a few at the very top of the intelligentsia (which the novel partially justifies by making the characters belong to that sphere)

>god-tier prose
>read in translation

hmmm.....

you're right

is it true new directions is publishing it next year?

you dont want to read a 2000 page book in one volume, unless it's printed on bible-thin paper
t. owns Anatomy of Melancholy

My German isn't up to par yet.

Where's the quote?

I am reading it. Here's a quote:

His life had been a series of convulsive experiences from which emerged the heroic struggle of a soul resisting all compromise, never suspecting that in this way it was only creating its own dividedness.

Completed my MA Thesis on Musil last year. My PhD Dissertation will be on Musil and few other writers.

Pretty cool. Are you german/austrian ?

Translator was a really good writer.

My parents and I moved to the States when I was eight. I had no intention of actually dedicating so much time to Musil (was preparing to focus on avant-garde poetry movements), but one day i was reading him and I just knew that Musil was who I wanted to study

Hey everyone we will be having a reading group if you are interested starting December 15 for this book.

Discord Link: discord.gg/eXnEWQb

“A man who wants the truth becomes a scientist; a man who wants to give free play to his subjectivity may become a writer; but what should a man do who wants something in between?”

>reading a translation

I have read it. Musil was no Proust or Powell, but it wasn't bad.

come on maaaaaaaaaaaaaan