>age
>favorite book read this year
>book you're currently reading and how do you like it

The Thirst by Nesbo
Pet Sematary, it's alright

I've never ever read a book in my entire life
I am not reading a book and I hate most books

ulysses or moby dick
rereading divine comedy. just finished purgatorio. wonderful as it was on the first time reading it

GR
The waves, really like but the more I read the less I understand.

20. Oryx and Crake. The great passage, it's alright so far, kinda interesting

either Under the Volcano or Magic Mountain.
currently reading Elective Affinities by Goethe. I dunno but it seems to me that all characters share the same voice. I couldn't for the life of me, tell who's who only from the dialogue. Maybe it has to do with the emancipated way of speaking.

The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson
The Dice Man. It sucks.

>23
>Feast of the Goat by Vargas Llosa
>Selected short stories by William Faulkner

I've tried reading Faulkner before but wasn't a fan of the stream of consciousness style, so I ultimately gave up on As I Lay Dying. Over time, though, many an acquaintance lauded Faulkner, so my interest began in him began to grow once again. That said, I have always been a fan of short stories, as I think they show the range and creativity of an author better than a novel can, so I decided to read his selected short stories. Incidentally, I'm about two-thirds of the way through, but I have enjoyed reading most of them. I'm glad I gave him another chance.

what book/s would you recommend to somebody who never read a book that he liked and was always forced to read?
also most likely a fantasy fan

>never ever read a book
>hate most books
How would you know?

Les Miserables
Don Quixote
It's taking a little to get into it (currently at 200), but I'm sure it'll pick up in the latter half.

In Realms Unreal (excerpts)
Infinite Jest, I like it, I understand why it got memed.

Lolita
Gonna get back into Infinite Jest once exams end.

> 22
> Kokoro
> The Day Lasts More Than a Hundred Years

Really enjoying the Aitmatov novel.

The magnetic Fields
Under the Net / Dedicated to Raymond Queneau. A lo of similarities between Murdoch and Queneau's humor, especially vis-a-vis objects

>age

>favourite book you've read this year
see pic, one of maybe two pop-sci books I've ever read that didn't make me want to kill myself

Lolita, shit's good mang

Does manga count as a book? If so then Ayako
I havent read a traditional book since I was 17.
I'm waiting to get a collection, not reading anything.

Crime and Punishment
Anna Karenina. Very good so far.

Crime and punishment
Day in the life of Ivan denisovich
I like it so far. I'm really into that time period right now and human atrocity.

>21
>Stoner
>Thus Spoke Zarathustra

About 1/3 through, some of the chapters are meh and a bit too rambly/poetic. Then there's amazing chapters which hit on ideas I've pondered but struggled to articulate. far

Don't know
IJ

No you little bitch now get off MY board

>19
>J R
>Finished Sanssouci by Andreas Maier a few hours ago and liked it despite the rather bad prose

Why are you mean

Mao II
1Q84, its actually a pretty comfy read

joyce's book of the dark by john bishop
the seven mysteries of life by guy murchie, enjoying it

why the fuck are you here

Because I enjoy literature and it's discussion...

>haven't read a book in 3 years
>enjoy literature

>20
>Divine Comedy
>pic related
So far I greatly enjoy it. Good for clearing up misconceptions commonly held about the time period (the author goes about this rather angrily, which I am especially enjoying).

you should be

You don't belong here

But I'm not that kind of /a/ person. I don't get the discrimination here

>literature board
>wants to discuss picture books
really gets the noggin joggin

I was just talking about the most recent thing I read. Manga are books. You're the ones exploding all this

not all books are literature you brainlet

Man

>18
>Despair by Vladimir Nabokov
>The Hot Gates and other occasional pieces by William Golding and Recounting by Luis Goytisolo

I was reading Recounting today and the book reads like it was written by Veeky Forums with even a random paragraph out of nowhere in the first 8 pages that has masturbation.

? Manga are literature

are you retarded

Reason?

lit·er·a·ture
ˈlidərəCHər,ˈlidərəˌCHo͝or/
noun
written works, especially those considered of superior or lasting artistic merit.
>picture books
>superior or lasting artistic merit
neck yourself

>18
>Catch-22
Currently reading Name of the Rose, it's a little too early to say if it's good or not

I mean they do have lasting artistic merit. This is an absurd dive into semantics by the way and something I thought Veeky Forums was above

Just started reading Babylon 5 and really enjoy it

>arguing over whether something does or doesn't fit a definition is semantics
who fucking knew
also
>picture books for manic-depressive asian teenagers have lasting artistic merit

The Waves is such a beautiful book. I read it earlier this, and I'll probably read it again in December.

Either The Waves or Winesburg, Ohio
Currently reading Richard II. Some of Shakespeare's best verse I've encountered so far. It's my first history, and I'll be reading Henry IV, Part 1 next.

I mean you could also describe much of the Veeky Forums canon just as dismissively .

Why do you care so much about semantics that you're willing to attack someone because they said they're reading something you don't like?

This is ridiculous user.

really pretentious awful definition 0/10

You could describe much of the Veeky Forums canon just as dismissively but it wouldn't be nearly as warranted; there is no manga that reaches the same levels of thematic depth and complexity as actual literature. This a literature board; discussion of literature should not be something that's odd to demand.

t.brainlet

Asylum
I like trashy young adult novels

All that "real" literature and you still argue like this

user this is a joke. Your unreasonable character has reached a clownish dimension. You have no ground to stand on and if I said anything you'd just twist your definitions and proclaim yourself the victor of this nonargument .

All I did was say I read a manga.

Accepting everything you say as truth your point is still nonexistent

Hard choice, read Gravity's Rainbow and Moby Dick this year
Currently reading: The Secret Teachings of All Ages

The Bible
Still reading it.

I assume you've read the Western canon by 17 and moved onto the East then? Very patrician

The Man Who Was Thursday
Great Expectations; I am not far enough in to have a proper opinion yet, but it's less boring than I had expected.

>23
>All the King's Men
>All Quiet on the Western Front, very good, especially in light of how it transformed the depiction of war in the novel

Manga exists purely as a means of banal self-projection for the Japanese citizenry to escape the crushing meniaility of their daily lives. It has no artistic merit, it's literally a tool to stop nips from killing themselves. You are too stupid to accurately represent my own statements or your own, so it's understandable that you think the Asian equivalent of young adult writing can be hailed as literature.

There are two cogent points I've made: First, If you haven't read a book without illustrations in 3 years, you shouldn't be on a literature board.
Second, Picture books are not literature. You have effectively responded to neither of these premises.

The Picture of Dorian Gray
Madame Bovary, it's okay so far.

Whatever yall niggas is on about,
There are brilliant manga out there.

Berserk, Vinland Saga, Vagabond, Monster, Homonculus,..

To deride these things as without value is to have no understanding of them.

Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Madame Bovary, far better than I imagined it was going to be. Nearly finished and loving it.

All of those works are rehashed modernist drivel or mildly abstract action series.

None of them are literature.

my struggle vol 4
mark twain's letters from hawaii
its alright. interesting learning about whale economies and what the islands used to be like

>21
>Four Quartets
>A Handful of Dust

The Waves, Virginia Woolf
Dead Souls, Gogol.
It's very strange. His humor is pretty on point at times -- dark, scathing, absurd, unique -- but the writing overall definitely lacks any sort of concept of polish. I know he never finished and etc

Book 2 is much better. You've gotten through most of the slog. Don Q is one of my favorites all time.

What translation are you using?

George Reavey. I suspect it's not a particularly good one, but my girlfriend bought it for me so I wasn't just going to throw it out or anything.

Age 22
>Micharl Herr - Dispatches
>Norman Mailer - Armies of the night -
liking it a lot, the narration style is weird but the concept of a nonfiction novel is intriguing to me, and I think Mailer executes it well. A surprisingly difficult book, both in terms of vocabulary and concepts. Mailer's genius is kind of understated

>19
>Confession of a Mask
>An anthology of Borge's lectures about the Divine Comedy, Buddhism etc.
It's good. Of course Borge is a better writer than professor but if you like the guy it's worth a read.

Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein

Currently on The Art of Reading by Damon Young. It’s ok.

American Psycho
The Remains of The Day

The Origins and History of Consciousness
The Western Canon - it's okay, too many books I haven't read so I can't really appreciate the critiques.

I haven't read a book in 4 years :^) you maddddd bro heheh

Mein Kampf
Philebus by Plato, I like it so far. I enjoy reading Socratic dialogues

Lolita
War and peace, it's aight

>21
>Submission by Houllebecq
>The Elementary Particles by some faggy frenchman

see a pattern?

>22
>Catch 22
>some book about autism and The Last Temptation of Christ by Kazantzakis

The book on autism is OK. I'm not autistic. I got the book for free and figured I might as well learn about it.
I've only read the first two chapters of The Last Temptation of Christ. If it's not as good as Zorba the Greek, then I'll be disappointed.

Against Nature
New Reformation: Notes of a Neolithic Conservative. I'm enjoying it immensely.

The Fountainhead
Atlas Shrugged. Only on chapter 3 but I think it's great

>against nature
Very nice

>Age

>Favorite book read this year
Mrs Dalloway

>Currently reading
As You Like It. Not my favorite Shakespeare, but still decent.

Is Quixote more difficult to get into than Les Mis? That was an absolute slog of a book for me when l read it in high school, but l've been looking forward to reading Don Q. for winter break. Say it ain't so, user.

Faggot

>Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
This is my runner-up. I only picked Mrs Dalloway because it was more comfy.

While I haven't read DQ, Bloom's comments on and excerpts of it from The Western Canom have really persuaded me (waiting for it in the mail now), and going by whatever translation he was using, the language was fairly straightforward and charming.

>age
>favorite book read this year
Art of the deal
Dangerous: Milo Yiannopoulos. Book of the year

Confessions
The Tales of Guy de Maupassant

the short stories are quite fine.

Damn. Murchie's everywhere. Read both his book on Keats AND the one on the History of Cosmology.

>19
>Dune (it would be Royal Assassin but it kinda pissed me off and was too repetitive at times)
>Dune

Either Zeno's Conscience, C&P or Under the Volcano
Thus Spake Zarathustra, loving it

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
Reading Infinite Jest for the first time. Its okay, not super motivated to read it tho

The Wealth of Nations
Either/Or, still on the Part A of the aesthete, but I love the essays on art and human sorrow

>more difficult to get into than Les Mis
No, it definitely isn't, it's easier. That's the one downside to Les Mis, the first 100 pages are slow.

Great literature also stands on the shoulders of giants

The Vagrants by Yiyun Li
The Sun Also Rises. It's pretty good.

My War Gone By, I Miss It So
Not currently reading anything atm

dunno
mysteries, hamsun and kafka's stuff
i like it so far (1/6); i really like kafka

The histories are fantastic, enjoy user

Flatland
Neuromancer