Is it just me, or is beef jerky softer and moister nowadays?

Is it just me, or is beef jerky softer and moister nowadays?

I hadn't had beef jerky in years until recently, and literally every bag I've bought these past two months, from different brands, has been relatively soft. I didn't really notice until one pack I bought a few weeks ago started growing mold. Then I remembered how dry beef jerky used to be. That shit should easily last months.

Attached: PCBJ_Classic_Teriyaki_Product_3OZ_1024x1024.jpg (1024x657, 155K)

I like jerky but it's too expensive where I live and I eat it all in one go.

You can get both varieties nowadays.

More water means less meat by weight

Yeah I was just wondering that too. Pacific Gold isn't nearly as dry as it used to be.

Jerky is too expensive everywhere.

No, it's not you. They put more sugar in it than they used to. Sugar is a humectant, so it's softer. Kinda sucks. We don't all like candied meat.

There's one brand I like that's dry but as thin as paper.

get jack links, it's the most generic brand but it's also the only one I've had that sticks to making actual jerky and not spiced meat shit.

I only get local shit these days because of this. Big brands sell more by catering to people who don't actually want jerky. I want my dry, tough strips of beef, dammit.

If my jaw isn't sore by the time I'm done with a bag, your jerky isn't tough enough.

this makes sense

If you don't make your own exclusively you should kill yourself.

yeah but no one likes chewing on a wad of meat gum for fifteen minutes until you can finally swallow it

weak jaw soy-boy detected, gb2 chewing wads of cum.

Depends on how it's manufactured. Some companies go with a little bit of moisture in the meat.

I really want to get a dehydrator and try making my own jerky.

>Depends on how it's manufactured. Some companies go with a little bit of moisture in the meat.
Wow, most insightful fucking comment of the year.

oh snap

Suck me, soyboy.

>go with moisture in meat
>still include moisture absorber packet
what did they mean, etc.

No you suck me, soyboy.

You wish cucky.

I think it's softer and more sugary both. I don't know if it's a byproduct of just adding weight to the package though. I think they have to consider that people with poor teeth or bite do get fatigued and maybe it's less fun for them and that can affect sales. That being a consideration, if they use CHEAPER nontraditional cuts of beef, the gristle and connective tissue, or it being machine cut and not so carefully against the grain, or the fact they have to form and press together pieces, scraps and other parts to make nice finger sized sheets of it? Then, moisture and sugar has to be used to soften it and form it.
So, I think it's multiple reasons. No one wants that powder of pulverized bits in their bag, but big honking slices and chunks.

Soybois ruin everything, their delicate teeth can't handle real jerky.

Speak for yourself

>jack links
>actual jerky
>not soft wet surgery meat for cucked soyboys like yourself

Op is talking about your precious soylinks

>not getting jerky from gun shows

Are you even trying? Its literally the only treason to go to gun shows anymore.

My brother.

>gun show jerky

Is this what the "gun show loophole" is?

huh?

Im curious but not especially dedicated to making my own jerky. Would a cheap $50 electric smoker from Amazon suffice for experimentation?

Everyone keeps bitching about gun show loopholes. They don't say what it is just that its bad for some reason. Is it about jerky? Because I wouldn't think meat could be bought at a show for guns.

Kek. Probably the only reason I'd ever go to a gun show.

there's some myth that you don't have to do background checks at a gun show, but you do.
they do it right there on a laptop or whatever.

Absolutely. An oven will suffice. Heck, leaving it out in the sun to dry will suffice. The magic is in the marinade.

Does anyone remember a type of prepackaged jerky rectangular strip that was similar to these but it had packaging more similar to slim jims with a transparent back? I had a 100 pack of them 10 years ago and I can't remember the brand. They were so good.

Attached: 223679.jpg (480x480, 38K)