ITT: Unpopular opinions

Cakes are plain and dull, and only exist to decorate into something needlessly pretty.

Attached: easter-nest-cake.jpg (500x454, 46K)

You can't say that about all cakes. There are so many types of cake.

Huh?

I agree for most store bought cakes. You've probably never had a good homemade cake or every baker in your family is shit. If you want a cake that's good and not decadent as fuck look up a sheet cake recipe, it's baby level baking.

Misinformed opinions?

Agreed to be honest. Was never a fan of cakes.

No dude.... Cake just sucks.

Coffee/crumb cake is killer. Cheesecake is killer. Red velvet is mad dece, but only with creamcheese frosing. Otherwise yeah, cake is fucking bullshit. Especially layered cake with frosting.

Frosting is fucking trash

I like pie a lot but don't really like cake. However, the best cake I ever had was a strawberry shortcake. The strawberries in the middle really gave the cake a big boost of flavor that I always found to be missing from other cakes.

Pretty much agree with this. Coffee cake is great and cheesecake is usually pretty good. "Birthday cake" with icing is complete garbage. I always reject if it's offered to me.

Attached: Strawberry-Shortcake-2.jpg (800x1173, 116K)

either somebody's mother only bought pre-mixed trash or your're american
i dont think i ever had an american made cake that was good, one time it was good but it was tres leches made by a columbian bakery
all that red velvet shit is just flavorless dough and frosting

even the dullest and plainest cakes can taste great, though

let me fix this for you:
*american frosting is fucking trash

Carrot cake > Everything else

I can get down with a thin layer of buttercream frosting but otherwise yep, youre not wrong.

Oh carrot cake and other winter spiced cakes are great, forgot about those. Poundcake and angelfood are mid-tier decent cakes too

usually true but there are some exceptions
wrong
shit taste
shortcakes are based
wrong again

make way for best cake

Attached: sachertorte.jpg (1024x576, 104K)

Youre the one with shit taste, friendo. All the shit you like exemplifies everything i hate about most cake

>Easter nest cake
>more like Easter morning massacre cake

>plain
Their are cakes so rich you can barely swallow three bites of the thing.

I'm not racist, but:

potato cakes > hash brown

>not too sweet
>complex chocolate taste
>thin apricot jam spread between layers instead of disgusting buttercream
>hard dark chocolate shell
Do you know how i know that you've never taken the sacherpill?

It looked like ganache which is fine for like a bite or two.

Ill try it if i ever see it, im sorry user it seems as if im wrong

For the most part, I completely agree.

It took me an extended period of cutting out junk, but I don't find cake to be a worthwhile experience in general, so many of them lack any sense of depth or nuance. Just sweet for the sake of being sweet.

I'm not saying they can't have anything more to them, but they don't in general

huh?

Pound cake soaked in malibu coconut rum is my favorite.

Attached: malibu-rum-cake4.jpg (787x524, 53K)

huh?

May as well make an actual rum cake it's not much more effort.

I'm gonna take this moment to share the cakes I've made since I started practicing. Homemade cakes can be delicious. This is my first cake. Its Chocolate with a whipped dark chocolate ganache filling. The frosting is a decadent whipped cream with a semi dark chocolate ganache glaze on top. Figures are fondant. Fondant texture is shit.

Attached: FB_IMG_1522146184319.jpg (720x404, 26K)

This was a pineapple coconut cake. The cake had the coconut flavor. The filling was pineapple cream. This is whipped topping.

Attached: FB_IMG_1522146249630.jpg (720x1280, 91K)

Here's one for you nerds. This one was really good too. People say my cakes taste like muffins so even plain vanilla is amazing. This one worked kind of like a mirror glaze but it's made with a semi liquid heavy cream. I'm mexican so we steer clear of buttercream unless I'm doing a fondant covered cake.

Attached: FB_IMG_1522146190970.jpg (528x960, 67K)

Fondant is always aesthetically pleasing but forget about enjoying the frosting. I've made swiss meringue buttercream but it just gets stuck on the fondant. Regardless the interior is still really tasty. I believe this one was chocolate with boston creme filling. The top was red velvet with cream cheese frosting.

Attached: FB_IMG_1522146269320.jpg (720x960, 57K)

IMO You can put hundreds of hours into show cakes and they still look terrible. Figurines and freehand stuff just look rubbish, even from literal professionals.

Might copy this cake idea. Got a younger cousin heavily into JoJo.

Fondant is gross to most people but i think its weirdly snackable..

Last time i used fondant it was to make these mushroom and beet “crystal” tuiles

>cook fondant and glucose syrup til it reaches 380 degrees
>looks fucking FUCKED the fuck up
>let cool and then shatter the mass into shards and pulverize to a powder in a blender
>combine with either dehydrated beet or mushroom powder (i forget the ratio)
>use a mesh strainer to tap out onto acetate paper w stencils cut out laid over top of a sil-pad
>remove acetate and pray that the sheet tray doesnt pop when you go to move it into the oven
>bake at 300 for 8 minutes

This fucking project was SUCH a pain in the ass to dial in to where it was feasible for production. Pic related, stupid fucking fondant beet tuile

Attached: 2CB033FB-8F76-4032-A4FA-575891E0AA33.jpg (4032x3024, 2.43M)

Armada of these for an event..

>carabaneros shrimp tartare/beet fluid gel/espelette fluid gel/lemon aioli/red tobiko roe/ginger beer and espelette bubbles/beet tuile/meadow sorrel and pea tendrils

Attached: 719A2A9B-4B1A-44E0-B94E-E254188998F4.jpg (4032x3024, 2.66M)

That's a shit opinion but there is perhaps a grain of truth. I mean my favorite cake is a nice yellow cake with chocolate frosting after all.

huh?

>repeating inane posts is a meme now

I fear we have entirely lost control of the memes, boys

huh?

huh posting was a thing in the past, no idea why it resurfaced

Attached: 1505445903266_0.jpg (500x500, 60K)

because modern "memes" are stupid garbage shit like soyposting and the only way to combat the teenagers is with ancient stale memes.

MEMES HAVE NEVER NOT BEEN GARBAGE

>for you
>BRRRRRRAAAAPPP
>cuck
>triforce
>manlet/dicklet/tastelet/-let
>wtf i hate/love x now

Im surprised you havent come to terms with this yet

I challenge you to name a better cake than this

Attached: 1033249144001_1826558153001_ari-origin05-arc-186-1346965477367.jpg (480x270, 8K)

This happens when you only ever eat those shitty cakes that are nothing but pure cake with some icing on top and nothing else in them. Also, savory cakes > sweet cakes.

Attached: savory cakes.jpg (1864x947, 831K)

most of what you posted is new shit, but bane and triforce is pure.

Those all modern memes and have nothing to do with Veeky Forums. Old Veeky Forums memes are stuff like turducken, peanut butter cookie recipe, hypno cake, cooking with rainwater, dumpster diving, egg in a basket, coffee mug brownies, time to die, etc. Though actual triforce posting is pretty damn old and I hear n00bs still can't do it.

>not nu-Star Wars
Man of good taste I see.

Did you just misgender me?

Yup really just your opinion. Children and even adults have teared up because they really love the cakes. I know they are not perfect but the fact that everything is edible art is mesmerizing to many people.

Attached: 1519517803809.png (210x260, 15K)

...what's your point?

If you mean memey cakes like the one you posted than that's true. Looks awkward to eat, unless you just use it as a bowl

molten chocolate lava cake

Cakes are gross. Pies are where it's at.

key lime pie is pie. cheesecake is pie. they both have the prerequisites for being pies, as they have a baked crust and filling. cakes are not made with a filling poured in to a crust.

Huh?