Is this actually as good as Veeky Forums says it is? or is it just another infinite jest type meme

Is this actually as good as Veeky Forums says it is? or is it just another infinite jest type meme

i thought it was very good but what do i know

You are asking the board about whose opinion you are dubious what their true opinion as if you aren't going to be equally dubious about the answer you receive. Are you happy? I ask because I'm supposed to imagine you are.

try to rephrase your question. imagine youre talking to an adult, and youre one yourself

I found it great. Read it, OP.

It's great. Just read it. Why do you need validation? Take a chance for yourself.

Infinite Jest is amazing stfu faggot I bet you never finished it

I cried lol

It’s a fantastic novel

>DUDE WEED LMAO

I like it and I almost never read books read books

Stoner is great but much like Infinite Jest you'll never read it.

It's great. Read it.

IJ and stoner are both good. Difference is you can read stoner in a day

you can read it in like six or seven hours
just give it a chance
also IJ is great

Overrated on here. Dude had no balls.

>IJ is great
IJ is fucking garbage, but is saturated with meme potential, that is the only reason it is popular here

I've read both Infinite Jest and Stoner this year and I feel both have had a noticeable effect on how I think about life.

it is one of the rare ocasions in which Veeky Forums meme'd me into reading a good book.

IJ is great, you punk.

Great bait, though.

I bought it last week knowing there was a 50% chance I was going to be memed on. As of a moment ago I am 117 pages in. While I haven’t been necessarily blown away yet, I have thoroughly enjoyed 97% of it. It really is a great book so far and the writing is very tight, for lack of a better term. Every word and phrase and idea seems delicately placed. I definitely recommend it.

It's really good, probably my favorite book. Also, Infinite Jest is good.

No, it is genuinely amazing.

>that part in Stoner when he smokes weed.

Infinite Jest is a good book.

Depends. Do you hate cripples?
Do you want to hate cripples?

> Is this actually as good as Veeky Forums says it is? or is it just another infinite jest type meme
I've read "Butcher's Crossing", and while the historical setting was interesting, on the whole the book was full of lazy deus-ex-machina bullshit and facepalmy underedited purple prose.

So probably just another meme.

Its basically the same story (and just as good) as «the death of ivan ilyich»

It’s relatable to the typical Veeky Forums autist.

I kek'd
Especially because multiple people at my office noticed my book and questioned the title. "STONER? Like...GETTING STONED LMAO?" It was extremely cringeworthy.

What do you mean? Butcher's Crossing is great, the prose is practically perfect and I really don't understand the deus-ex-machina criticism.

It's a good book

EDITH WAS RAPED BY HER DAD.

SHE THOUGHT STONER WAS RAPING GRACE.

THIS IS WHY SHE HATED STONER.

It was fine

[citation needed]

The first is definitely possible but I don't think Edith thought Stoner was raping Grace. Maybe she feared it but I think she just had a vague and generalized contempt for men, compounded by a specific resentment of Stoner because he was her only means of escaping from her toxic household. I don't even think she really knew why she hated Stoner.

>>that part in Stoner when he smokes weed.
>after all, I finally became a Stoner
Stoped reading there

Best opinion in thread. It is a fine book. Perhaps even very fine. But set against all the books ever written? It is by no means a master work.

I feel like people that question characters in stories like this often have social issues

>implying IJ isn't good
Stoner is good too.

I didn't want to but I've killed three paraplegics since reading it. 8/10

how is it garbage?

I picked up on this too.

>Edith's Dad gives Stoner a vague warning when he is going to propose
>Edith seems to get physically ill at the thought of physical intimacy, with the exception of about a month, when she was sex crazy
>When her dad dies, she gets rid of literally everything he had ever given her
>Following his death, she adopts a new persona, one which is much more outgoing, as if she is free for the first time
>Her attempts to sabotage Stoner and Grace's relationship may mirror her own relationship with her father

Although it's never explicitly stated, I'm sure her father must have been abusing in some way.

Exactly. It's fine.

Just like Stoner's life. Fine. Mediocre. Sure, he managed to swap poverty for academia and had relative success, but there were so many shortcomings in his life.

He lost his true love.
He was oppressed by both his wife and his superiors.
He lived a meek life died with regret.

In all honesty, its the scariest book I've ever read, because I can see my life going in a similar way. Full of ability and aspirations, but falling short due to circumstance and poor decisions. There's no scarier situation than living a mediocre life, and then sitting on your deathbed in your 80s full of regret.

>implying Lomax didn't metaphorically represent a jew

I'd recommend this book to literally anyone. Loves Williams' writing, Buther's Crossing is also worth checking out

Listen to this cunt

At some stage they mention that she stops pretending to be ill at intimate moments.

She was just pretending.
But I guess there should be a reason why she's so fucked up.

Positive or negative?

you are a bad reader

The description of Stoner's parents dying and returning to the earth they had long ago given themselves hit me pretty hard

FUCK EDITH
and FUCK LOMAX

Edith was mentally ill and totally unprepared for physical contact of any kind, let alone sex
she believed Stoner had raped her and that he was grooming their daughter to do the same
Lomax was clearly incapable of reproduction, physically untouched by any man or woman and saw in Walker a surrogate son (no matter how uneducated or pedantic he was) and felt obligated to defend him against any onslaught.
From Lomax's perspective he should have at least given Walker a chance, and Stoner himself started fucking the student he had criticized

the book is fantastic

>read it instead of memes

It's scary because the main character is so painfully average

>Stoner was mediocre
Getting tired of this meme. Stoner lived an accomplished life brimming with love and comfort.

It is a great novel.

However Augustus and Butcher's Crossing are even better, masterpieces.

Williams is probably, pound-for-pound (book-for-book?), the best novelist.

He's good but he trails behind Denis Johnson.

Never read him, should I start with Tree of Smoke?

And not that my point was to be objective but Johnson has written (according to Wikipedia) many more books than Williams.

Definitely start with Jesus' Son. It's fairly short and it's 10/10 from start to finish, very great writing.

I liked it and the ending and what it meant was the first unironic "damn..." moment I've had.

What did the ending mean you? srs

Lmao what makes you think that