College/university students: do you have free time for "pleasure" reading (not textbooks or required reading) and if so...

College/university students: do you have free time for "pleasure" reading (not textbooks or required reading) and if so, how much time do you have?

I was an English major. Most of the books assigned were shit, and I just pretended to read them and read the books I wanted instead. I easily bullshitted stuff and wrote down any specific pages the professor used in class so I could use them in my essay.

Same for me. English is a fucking joke

I do a shitty course at a shitty university and I have practically all the time in the world to read for pleasure.

If you're anything like me I wouldn't worry about how much time you have to read, worry about applying your knowledge in the real world and achieving your dreams. Also getting laid is a bonus if you can indeed do that.

I do, but I waste it all on the internet

I read about 50 pages a day for myself during my masteryear. Averaging about the same required reading + thesiswork. It's all about perspective. Reading 100 pages a day should never take you longer than 3 hours which is nothing.

>Reading 100 pages a day should never take you longer than 3 hours

Goodluck getting through 100 pages of Kant in that time

I go to Oxford and do a notoriously intense course that zaps all my spare time. Just finished for the Christmas and I'm reading LoTR as a break - it's so nice.

Shut up retard. I thought you were gone.

>Reading 100 pages a day should never take you longer than 3 hours which is nothing.
It obviously depends on the density of the material

you thought I was "gone"? Who do you think I am?

Incredibly profound statement. Thank you for enlightening all of us.

Is this a joke? I'm not English or History or Philosophy but that's about the page count due each lecture meeting for each class in those fields at my college. Where the fuck did you go?

Not much at all, but the solution is to take classes that interest you.

I'm doing a masters in medical biotechnology and I have currently so much free time that I am physically bored

i'm doing a phd in philosophy and i read actual philosophy once per year in a secret tunnel i dug out underneath the campus and lit with candles made of ear wax

the other 99.99% of my life is spent attending classes full of rich people and pretending to akcnolwedge them when they make that sound teachers made when they talked in charlie brown cartoon specials

i highly recommend studying Philosophy if you hate philosophy and never ever ever ever want to read any real philosophy

What do you study? Sounds nice

Boy I'll get so much shit for this but, I study Journalism.

*breathes in*

I can take it user

My friend absolutely nobody pays any attention to prescribed page counts, they exist only for proprieties sake

But they do

This

I've been wanting to go back to college for either English literature or philosophy. I know it's not LE STEM MEME ENJOY UR NO JOBS LOLLOLOLOL but hell if I didn't hate STEM when I first went and then dropped out.

I realized that I wasn't being indoctrinated to be a SJW because of budget cuts to the humanities and a STEM major, so I purchased and read Capital and Dialectic of Enlightenment. I bleached my hair, but never dyed it blue.

Not sure how much b8 this post is but can you specify? I selected philosophic as my major as I've been applying to colleges...
Also, whats the male:female ratio in philosophy classes generally?

>not textbooks
I get 'pleasure' from that smarty pants
Literature is often boring in comparison

STEMfag here. I only reed twice a week during the warmup for my workout. I get dressed, chuck down some Ritalin and then spend 30 minutes on the cardio bike. This is the only time I have to read, but it's easily my favorite past time. Pleasing to be body and mind.

I read on the bus mostly, since I'm too lazy to read at most other times.

Like I mostly just read what I want rather than shit that was assigned to me.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Lower-level classes have a pretty even split
Upper-levels still are pretty even, as anyone can take them as electives and if you're a senior from a different department but interested in philosophy then these upper-levels should still be doable. In my 300-level metaphysics class there were 7 girls: 2 premed, 2 Phil majors, 1 math major and 1 I'm not sure what she studied but not philosophy. The non-phil majors all did reasonably well with the discussions, not sure what their papers were like...
Grad-level courses and capstone seminars generally leaned slightly towards a male-dominated class, but still at like a 65-45.
It's a field with more equal gender distribution than computer science and engineering on one end, and nursing and speech pathology on the other