William S.Burroughs

Anybody here read Naked Lunch?
Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

dangerousminds.net/comments/my_nose_nailed_to_other_peoples_lavatories_edith_sitwell_on_naked_lunch
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I read it. I liked it. Reading It is an emotional experience rather than an intellectual one. You have to grok the ectoplasmic wave of the words to enjoy it.

yes.

i prefer the version with the extended "Word" section.

"more routines means more burroughs." - invader zim

Wasn't impressed. Got the impression he was going out of his way to offend. In the 40's his writing may have been shockingly subversive (probably not though), but now it just comes across as juvenile. None of it's ideas are original, the observation that culture behaves like a virus predates Burroughs by decades. Was kinda nice to find out why every evil doctor in any form of media is named Benway. Steely Dan makes me giggle every time I hear them now. Maybe I liked it more than I thought I did.

>Got the impression he was going out of his way to offend
He was out of his mind on heroine when he wrote it.

i love it. junked-out, fagged-out impressionism. a window into a world of paranoid, degenerate psychosis.

Except he wasn't. Same as Kerouac and OtR. He wrote about being out of it but he couldn't be at the time he wrote it. Also the book is complete shit. Like I've read 200 pages of fanfic about skullfucking a baby so maybe the issue is I can't be shocked but it was remarkably boring. No characters no plot, just 1960's era hardcore smut, which aside from the historical interest isn't remotely interesting. I couldn't even get a half chubb. It's unfortunate that he took this as affirmation and got real into the cut up technique because lol what is a narrative so deep.

have you read his nova trilogy? yes it's more cut up but it also has a clearer narrative.

>It's bad because it doesn't shock me. Believe me, when it comes to things that are shocking, I know what the real deal is. I spend my free time reading 200 pages of stuff that's actually shocking so I know what I'm talking about. I don't care about literary merit at all. My whole life is one big litmus test for shocking shit.
damn bitch you live like this??

No, it's bad because it's only notable quality is to shock. It lacks other redeeming attributes because, as various anons have mentioned, there is no plot or characters or coherence beyond its edginess.

there's plenty of coherence, just without plot or characters (with depth).

>It lacks other redeeming attributes because, as various anons have mentioned, there is no plot
That is a redeeming attribute. Burroughs is not confined by conventional story telling conventions. Reading Naked Lunch is a raw moist experience of cummy heart vomiting. It's like non-consensual anal sex in written form. art.

>Uses obscene language and grotesque imagery to mask lack of vision or originality
>uses meme tactics (folding, cut-ups) to remain relevant to an increasingly jaded audience.
>espouses radical, fascistic political positions in interviews to cultivate an air of controversy, never rights anything overtly political.

Muh' literary merit.

William Burroughs is a degenerate junkie pedophile faggot who murdered his wife and got away with it

Holy shit user, do you hear yourself?
I think your post illustrates why Burroughs shouldn't (or rather can't) be taken seriously.
He was a ridiculous man with a toxic influence on children.

You sound like a stuffy prude without the ability to understand or appreciate the value of the Human experience.

Burroughs is not meant to be taken "seriously". That's not the point of his work. Naked Lunch is subconscious literary cum. Just enjoy his words.

I loved it. Pure poetry. Like drinking strong liquor. The only book I had to put down every few pages and go for a walk to digest.

You capitalized the H in human.
I want you to be aware of that. It's important.

It's funny, like fall down the toilet funny

Found it quite boring tbqh. just reads like an extended edgy /b/ post. if i'd read this before i hit the 'chan, maybe it would be shocking but I didn't so it isn't

My friend used to read me bits and pieces, I liked what I heard

It's funny you should make the /b/ comparison. That was my first thought after the first dozen or so pages. Of course by the time I discovered Burroughs I had already outgrown /b/, so by the time I finished 'Naked Lunch' I had already outgrown Burroughs.

Yes, I read it. No, I don't have any thoughts on it.

>tfw ywn read a good book to someone with you both enjoying it

>the observation that culture behaves like a virus predates Burroughs by decades.

[citation required]

are you unable to appreciate a work in the context of the time it was written, or do you judge them all by today's standards?

>No, it's bad because it's only notable quality is to shock.

did you ever read any of the "Ugh!" exchange?

dangerousminds.net/comments/my_nose_nailed_to_other_peoples_lavatories_edith_sitwell_on_naked_lunch

the people who defended burroughs didn't do it on the basis that he was merely shocking. you might want to stop caring about how edgy you look to other people.

>He was a ridiculous man with a toxic influence on children.

i did not know Burroughs wrote any children's books.

It's entertaining and interesting. People complaining it isn't shocking enough are reacting against its reputation, not the book itself, and the people faulting it for incoherence are literally retarded. If you are lazy and you skim read, no, you won't understand what's going on - you have to think as you read. Sorry, brainlets.

Loved it. His prose is great, the self-inserts aren't too bad, the setting is fun and the plot is wild as fuck.

>originality
only 5 people in history have ever been truly original. you're wasting your time if you use this as a metric for quality
>espouses radical, fascistic political positions in interviews to cultivate an air of controversy, never rights anything overtly political.
why does this even bother you?

Movie was better, not even joking.

>muh childreeeen
fuck off moralfag

It worked for me
A lot of Burroughs' ideas were new, he had a huge influence on counterculture and late 20th century pop culture aswell

Do you retards not read the fucking introductions to books?? Did none of you fags saying "muh edge" not read Burroughs introduction to his own book?

READ IT. Then your pea brains might be able to grasp what he was doing with his novel.