Hiking food

I need your help, foodbros. I'm going hiking with a girl this weekend and I need something to bring for food, preferably an actual meal but snacks will work too. I'm not completely inept in the kitchen but I'm not an expert either, so I need something reasonably simple that I could make the night before in a few hours or less and would keep for a few hours while hiking.

Attached: hiking 002.jpg (1600x1200, 553K)

Other urls found in this thread:

foodwishes.blogspot.ca/2016/06/chocolate-energy-bars-looking-goodmaybe.html
kingoscar.com/product/skinless-boneless-mackerel-fillets-in-olive-oil/
thekitchn.com/how-to-make-diy-instant-noodle-cups-222560
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>few hours while hiking

All you need is water you fucking twat

Homemade granola is usually good. Pemmican if you are trying to impress and will be out like all day the area is chilly. Otherwise stick to simple sandwiches she will remember the view and what you guys talk about not the food.

foodwishes.blogspot.ca/2016/06/chocolate-energy-bars-looking-goodmaybe.html

t. never been hiking

Fish, salmon if possible.

Attached: images.jpg (234x216, 11K)

Peanuts are the best possible fuel for hiking. You can eat them on the go without having to worry about brushing your teeth. Snacks like nature bars and trail mix are loaded with sugar. Peanuts are also cheap.

They're obviously picnicking or going camping, you fucking idiot. Or it's an all-day/multi-day hike.

Cornbread, put some jalapeno, bacon pieces and a little cheese.

Make sure you dont touch your eyes. Chilli oil gets everywhere.

>and would keep for a few hours while hiking

Bring some sandwiches. It's just a day hike lad.

Bring plenty of deenz, my compadre.

I used to bring an MRE for an all day event.

bring canned food. chef boyardee? Make a fire to heat it up.

Tupperware container with spicy chicken and sautéed peppers and onion, and some tortillas. Also 4 bananas and some nuts. Make sure you have a lot of water. Bring some tinfoil to heat your fajita filling over a fire for bonus points. Tortillas can be heated by draping them over a stick.

I know, but I am sick to death of that freeze-dried shit.

bagel with smoked salmon and cream cheese

As much as I would love to it's the dry season here and they'll put your ass in jail for having a fire. One spark and the whole damn woods will go up like a cheap gas station.

Canned beans are popular among hikers, but you don't need this broad farting up a storm while you are railing her in the bushes.

>t. 350lb neckbeard who can barely hike to the fucking fridge

Sandwiches are easy.
Tuna, salmon salad, peanut butter - unless of course you know she doesn't like it.

Attached: george-crush-tony.jpg (715x538, 35K)

Girls usually aren’t into eating beans out of the can, but they can eat mayonnaise out of the jar...

Attached: E7EE2FE7-9DFA-4213-9E6C-0044297F1521.jpg (800x800, 67K)

Canned tuna/crackers. Salty trail mix peanuts, raisins, cashews, etc. Bring a small camp stove and pan and keep some hotdogs/sausages in a small insulated lunch bag with ice. Bitches love beef. Bring a couple rolls to put them on.

Nuts, Trail Mix, Granola, Oranges, Apples, Pears, Peaches, Banannas, you can't go wrong with any or all of these. Don't forget water or liquids of some kind. Sandwiches are always great; canned chicken made with mayo and a little mustard, tuna, deli meat sandwiches, etc. Women love cheese so you could always bring cheese in some form, (cheese sticks). Or even a simple cheese sandwich made with mayo, they actually taste better after a few hours in your backpack.

kek

>pic
wtf who goes hiking in flipflops

>keep for a few hours while hiking.
Dude, you're going on a picnic to try and nail her in thd clover not a wilderness excursion. Make a typical picnic basket with fried or roasted chicken, good bread, deviled eggs (no homo) fruit and potato salad with a bottle of wine carried in your day backpack (lol) with some blue ice.

Attached: 800px-Edouard_Manet_-_Luncheon_on_the_Grass_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg (800x622, 127K)

Are you a child? Asking for a friend

Canned beans are very definitely not popular with hikers.

kingoscar.com/product/skinless-boneless-mackerel-fillets-in-olive-oil/

easy, tasty, and healthy. Its meat so is good also its like only $2 from wall mart or any canned fish the have my dude

Soft Waffle Sandwichs with sweeten condensed milk and peanut butter as filling is simple and delicious. Just buy ready made waffles. Sweeten condensed milk comes in cans and last a long time in the fridge after you switch it into glass jars.

Ham sandwiches with thick slice of ham coated in maple syrup, the maple syrup help prevent the ham from going bad for a few hours outside of the fridge (coat thoughly, use a thick slice so it won't be too sweet).

I don't know where you are hiking, but especially if it's a place where there is no cell reception, REMEMBER TO TELL PEOPLE WHERE YOU ARE GOING AND WHEN YOU'LL BE BACK!

You don't want the join the long list of people who have died after getting lost on a day hike, people pack lightly thinking they'll stay on the trail but there are all kinds of temptations to go off the trail, like, what if you see a baby deer? What will happen if one or both of you twist an ankle?

So yeah, even if you don't plan to stay over night, bring coats in a bag that will withstand the night temp, or blankets, you can sit on blankets.

Human beings can survive three days without water (unless you are some place hot and dry like Joshua Tree National Park or Death Valley), but you are going to the woods right? So just tell people where you are going and STAY PUT if you get lost.

and how does a poorfag without a smoker smoke salmon (this sounds like the best option, I just don't know how to get it done)

Fruit salad, potato salad and dairy products needs a refrigerator to stay fresh. Also potato salad is nice family food, but not a romantic GF dish.

Charcoal bbq. Mix wood chips with water in a tin, place it on top of your coals all piled on one side, once the chips begin to smoke, place your salmon on the opposite side and put the lid on.

>i've never heard about or used blue ice.

nice try bear

huh?

the bear wishes to trick the human into bringing him some salmon as a snack

Pack hot broth in a thermos and noodle mason jars. Watch as your girlfriend thinks you're a genius.
thekitchn.com/how-to-make-diy-instant-noodle-cups-222560

Attached: 08c6b6bafdfa84871740eec7dc5ff7411c4c42e4.jpg (536x750, 57K)

Or just put the entire soup, solids and all, in a thermos like a normal person.

>thinks he NEEDS to bring food for a hike that only lasts a few hours
>calls other people fat

Nuts, dried fruit, tortillas, cheese, peanut butter, /deenz/, oats, grits, ramen, knoor rice/pasta sides, granola, tea, honey, fruit, bagels, salamis, jerky, candy(that won't melt if hot).....

Yeah but then your noodles might get really mushy. Unless you just add noodles in from a separate container, which is acceptable too, I guess

Where are you that the dry season is in March?

noodles would get weird, but this is a good idea for most stews and soups.

Cutest idea in this tread, I dig this, but a chick would def dig this.

I think we have a winner, thanks man.

If I have to pre-cook some of the noodles though how do I keep them fresh? I don't want them to get mushy but won't they just dry out without something to keep them moist?

give her a can of DEEZ NUTS

If they're precooked and in a jar, they probably won't dry out too much over a day, and when you add broth they will re-soak a little too. It should probably be fine. Also, maybe pre-cook some veggies and an egg too, and layer it so there's a little bit of a moisture barrier

Yea but then you have to deal with the dirty can.

>Soft Waffle Sandwichs with sweeten condensed milk and peanut butter
how fat r u

Zip lock bag. Carry it home. No worse than dishes.

When I go hiking we bring water, nuts, granola and protein bars. But you could probably do some jerky for snacks.

But if you're looking for lunch just do peanut butter sandwiches.

Some personal advice don't kill yourself with carrying a ton of supplies if you're just going out for a few hours. That's just an overkill. Keep it simple and fun!

It's absolutely pathetic but also alarming how fearful people are of going without food after just a few hours of walking. Literally. It used to be people would go out and work their fields for hours and the only thing they had for lunch was a piece of bread and some olives.
You lot need to have a word with yourselves. You're literally turning into a bunch of women. Fuck even women of yesteryears would have you for breakfast.

I completely agree. I regularly go out in the woods for 3 or 4 days and the closest thing I bring to food is a fishing rod. Rod, hooks, a lighter, knife, axe, change of clothes, leatherman, and a pot for boiling water is all I ever needed. I also bring a big bottle of whiskey, some weed, and a pack of smokes for each day, but those are luxuries, not necessities.

I've always wondered if bears and other wildlife are attracted by the smell of alcohol and weed. It'd definitely work on them about the same, barring differences in dosage.

I have never been bothered by bears while survivalist camping. I have been bothered by bears while working, and recreationally camping in parks and shit, but there’s food and garbage involved. I do sleep in pine trees when I go camping tho. The kind with a shitload of lower branches. Bears climb trunks, branches get in the way. It’s a precaution, but as I said I have never been bothered by a bear doing that. They don’t seem to be attracted to weed or whiskey, and I always toss my fish guts and bones back into the water.

Hiking food can be more fattening than the office lunchbox :)

There is this raccoon that keeps approaching these stoners I know at their usual spot. I seem t recall this monkey that was addicted to cigarettes too.

>The kind with a shitload of lower branches. Bears climb trunks, branches get in the way.

OMG, I didn't know that, good to know, it'll be easier for ME to climb with lower branches too, I'll keep an eye out for pine trees if I'm in bear territory.

Where do you go camping on what kind of land

An elephant will crash a village if it detects a barrel of alcohol to drink. Then you've got a drunk elephant ransacking the place.

Rocky Mountains in southern Alberta, near calgary. I spend my days in rocky canyons where it’s cooler, and there are lots of trout in the streams, and cold water that doesn’t even need to be boiled before you drink it. I climb out just before dark and head to my designated sleeping tree. It doesn’t stay dark very long here in the summer, so I take advantage when the sun goes down because I’m always up at first light. I will camp and hike in other places, but I won’t do the survivalist thing. I only do that in places I really know, and where I know I can catch enough fish to keep me going.

You dont need to eat if you eat a good meal beforehand. Unlike 80% of americans who are retarded and go out to hike without eating a decent sized breakfast. IF you are camping however. That is different. Bring along a pot, some rice or beans shit even flour. And boil it in water over a fire. Eat with spam, or some other food.

Thick cut bacon. Would be really great over a fire i think.... need to try that.

P.S Bacon and eggs and milk is GARBAGE breakfast. How about you replace mil with water and add some fucking bread? or tortias or rice? or anything like beans. You retards.

I'm too drunk to even begin to address everything dumb in this post. This user has literally never left the basement.

I think he’s too poor to live in a house with a basement, but definitely has never gone hiking or camping before.

>lol, he's not going ultralight
Seriously though it's all dependent on duration of trip and how much you're willing to carry. Straight fuel would be nuts and granola, peanut butter and tortillas, those plastic(?) flat packs of tuna or salmon. For fast energy bring something high in sugar. Everything else is water water water

>hiking
>glass jars
don't forget to bring your rock collection too

He's hiking with a girl, it can't be too hard a hike

>one retard is certain of one retards certainty
kek'd

Moutain House, or any freeze dried meal. They taste like shit, but if you're looking for calories they're pretty good for the price, and how easy they are to prepare.

7 bucks for 500 calories, i don't know about that man

yes, boiled flour is a time tested camping favorite

Don't quote me, but I think it's per serving. Plus they have a 25 year shelf life, buy some just to keep around.

If shit hits the fan, it'll be some nice loot for someone to find.

I'm going bush walking on Friday morning, going to do a 17 kilometre track that should take around 7 hours.

I'm probably just going to take a couple of peanut butter sandwiches for a light meal and a few litres of water.
I want to take some alcohol. Not to get drunk but just to chill out with a mate and enjoy a nice view while sipping a wine. Will probably tip a bottle of wine into my stainless steel thermos and I have a couple of steel mugs that won't break if I fall.
I figure beer will get warm and spirits might dehydrate me a lot. So wine.

>guy's preparing a nice picnic hike with a grill
>"LOL FOOD THEY ATE NIPS ALIVE ON OKINAWA"

never change

it's usually right around 500 per 2-person bag
i just bought a bunch, but value certainly was not on my mind

?

Huh?

It's not a full-on camping trip, just a short hike with a picnic somewhere in the middle.

Chicken / Tuna salad and crackers, my dude.
A pouch or can of tuna or chicken (pouches are more convenient)
Packet(s) or mayo, mustard, pickle relish, onions, etc. from gas station hotdogs / fast food places.
If making chicken salad, some dried cranberries and walnuts would be nice as would some apple.
Mix it all together in a bowl or ziplock bag when you get to your destination
Eat with Ritz crackers or bread
A can of Easy-Cheese is also a good thing to take along.

I cant tell you the meal, but a few tips.
>no wet vegetables in sandwitches (tomatoes) and dont put them in napkins
>no sweets that when melt will stick to packaging
>if you bring nuts/dried fruit make sure it is unsalted/unsweetened
>bring only water/homemade tea to drink, nothing sweetened

Yeah your gonna look like a faggot if you go all out actually cooking something for hiking, but she probably already knows that

I gave my cat the munchies when my friend and I were smoking in the tent last week by blowing smoke on her. She devoured her can of wet cat food.

Attached: 4C291427-3F49-4AB4-87D3-B2F5C491690B.jpg (3264x2448, 1.96M)

I have these kick-ass Merrell sandals I've used everywhere there's no snow

Fruits (not too messy), nuts, maybe sandwiches, some cheese/crackers/salami, smoked salmon, jerky. Plain water would probably be the most sensible beverage but you could bring wine or some sparkling water. If you're into bringing Tupperware you could bring something like a chicken salad.

jerky and/or mixed nuts

Mate you're going for an afternoon hike, not hiking the Apalachians. Literally anything you bring will be fine for a few hours. Bring some nuts to nibble on and literally whatever the fuck you want for a main mean. Bring a fucking steak if you can cook it. Hiking food is hiking food because it keeps. You do not need to worry about that. Your pack isn't going to be heavy because you're going for an afternoon. Just take whatever the fuck you want.

We met some lads in the Canadian Rockies that have hiked all over, built party cabins in the woods, etc. They were eating fresh tomatoes, they even had eggs. EGGS! And they were going for a few days hike. You're not Ray Mears, you're not in a survival situation, there is literally no limit to what you are going to be able to bring. You don't need an MRE, you don't need pemmican (though it's tasty AF and good for you).

Not him, but I worked on trails for multiple summers. Hiked the entirety clearing them and making sure they're safe enough for hikers. You literally just need water.

dude you can smoke salmon with just a cardboard box and a hotplate

Don't listen to these haters OP they've clearly never been hiking and can't fathom how difficult a few hours of hiking can truly be. Last time I went hiking on a 3 mile forest loop I made sure to pack 5 gallons of water, 6 gallons of organic peanut butter, a cubic yard of trail mix ((with m&ms for the important sugar kick when altitude sickness sets in(every change of 10 feet in elevation is 1 atmospheric pressure)), 4 whole chickens, I had my sherpa carry 30 big macs along with the oxygen tanks full of pudding, and my spotter helicopter was made of chocolate, AND THAT WAS ONLY 3 MILES I CAN'T IMAGINE WHAT YOU'D NEED FOR A "HIKE" WITH YOUR GIRLFRIEND FOR A FEW HOURS YOU MAY HAVE TO EAT HER TO MAKE IT OUT ALIVE

Eggs aren't that surprising if they aren't pasturized they keep for awhile without refrigeration

just buy some from the store

He's point out the fact that I asked y'all for some simple cooking shit for our hike/picnic and you think I'm a fucking idiot for "needing" food out there. I don't "need" it, it's just that the plan was to eat lunch on the trail and I want to impress.

No shit. These idiots don’t understand you want to stop and have a picnic with a girl. You don’t need to, you just want to.

Sicilians like to make a garlic cheese bread with tiny bits of dried tomatoes and ham mixed in with the dough. Made into a baguette or individual-sized buns, they last without refrigeration for days.

Boiled eggs, a nice big chunk of cheddar or hard cheese, a bottle of wine with glasses, granola bars, trail mix, twice as much water as you think you'll need, pure chocolate bars. Necessary silverware.

A GPS if you're headed into the woods. Don't forget to charge your cellphone to capacity. A two-way radio if you have one. A whistle. A survival blanket. A large, sharp carbon steel knife. Pepper spray. Some paracord. A small first-aid kit. All that is available in the sporting goods section of your big-box store and will take up surprisingly little room.

>100 post thread on making a packed lunch
?
Throw in a sandwich or a pasta salad alongside some fruit and call it a day.

So now that the devil has given his opinion, does anybody have a full course meal I can bring along?

Hotdogs and peel top canned beans. hotdogs on a stick (prep stick by whittling one end to point does not have to be too sharp then run through fire for just a few seconds don't let it sit still or it will burn the stick) and cook beeans either on a rock by fire and turning it or putting a cast iron pan over the fire and put cans in (easier to clean up after than putting beans in the pan, saves water, DONT LITTER) just couple simple starters. When actively hiking it's best to eat breakfast, small snacks as you feel hungry, finish with dinner. The constant activity requires constant energy so high carb high protein snacks are ideal and a large meal is not. If you've ever gone swimming after eating or any physical activity can make you sore after a big meal

Just throw a couple of clif bars into your bag, sheesh

he said he's looking for a "full course meal"
but i'll be goddamned if anyone's ever gonna make him happy, this is one of the longest threads on Veeky Forums right now

>but i'll be goddamned if anyone's ever gonna make him happy,

A perfect woman deserves a perfect meal. Honestly I'm going with the jarred ramen but I appreciate all y'all s suggestions.