How many times do I need to read this to fully understand it?

How many times do I need to read this to fully understand it?

Other urls found in this thread:

sdmiller.github.io/octo/files/no_google2/GoodOldNeon.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Once ironically and twice sincerely

two times actually
first one just go in and do it
second time to get the nuances in plot
if you don't read for plot, might as well do it only once but with some guide or something

not worth reading twice
>but you're not answering my question >:O
0 times with a summary

Why don't I read it?

I've never read this and i don't even want to attempt to understand that image

I think the very minimum is 2 times because up to ~200 page you can't understand shit.

Is it worth reading twice though? If you enjoyed it the first time, yes, absolutely, but have a good interval between 1st and 2nd read.

it's kind of a nonsense graph but then again so is ij's structure

the pre-ending is the book as it's written and imo should instead be referred to as the book's explicit plot
problem is, the book starts after the end, skips back to the beginning of that year, progresses for the most part chronologically until it ends somewhere in the middle of fever dream that took place at a relatively distant point in the past before any of the events in this story and the book attempts to create something like a circular chronology involving two plot arks. the second of which is entirely inferential. this is what happens outside of the text: making the second ark or the post-ending ENTIRELY implicit and desu i think dfw was on sorts of crack expecting you to piece together a solid quarter of the narrative yourself with the bits (READ: clues) scattered out through the already gargantuan novel required to piece together what happened after the text ends to connect to where the story ends

That sounds interesting, but tell me honestly user:

Is it difficult to read? I'm twenty years old, studying English and History, and have read maybe seventy novels in my life. Maybe the hardest was Moby Dick, but i'm not sure. The only other post-modern stuff i've read is Catch-22 which i loved, and a handful of Pychon-lite. I have a compulsion to finish and understand every book i buy that stems from a deep seeded insecurity about my intelligence and i'm worried Infinite Jest will quite literally drive me insane if i start it.

It just might.

I’m not that user but just came across this thread.

You can absolutely, absolutely read it, dude. It is all hype. It’s a very fun read but by no means it is difficult. I’ve only read the first three pages of Moby-Dick and right away I found it intensely more challenging. IJ is just a lot of words. A lot of fucking words.

Why did he make all of his major works inaccessible post-modern tomes when his whole message was a return to sincerity?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but:

>deep seeded insecurity about my intelligence

The term is “deep-seated.”

Thanks dude, i think i'll pick it up then.

THIS TRIGGERS ME

read his autobiography

sdmiller.github.io/octo/files/no_google2/GoodOldNeon.pdf

I get that, yeah, but if he's aware of it, he should've been able to overcome it a little.

as many as it takes you to see that:
Orin may have had a sexual relationship with April
April was in contact with the quebecois and may have also been looking for the entertainment
John Wayne was a double agent and in the end was helping, keeping watch for Don and Hal while they dug up himself's grave
Joelle was never disfigured by acid (several details in her friends story were wrong) and was in fact so beautiful she was technically disfigured
The family chemistry of the Incandenzas was clearly based on Hamlet (the dead and ghostly father, the evil and possibly complicit mother, Orin and Hal both being aspects of Hamlet, Joelle the beautiful Ophelia)
Hal synthesized DMZ and it completely inverted his psychological expression (rather than being horrifyingly cold, he couldn't whatsoever control his emotions and only acted in extremes
Stice was haunted by Himself
Mario was the only likeable and honest character
Kate Gompert was DFW's self insert
Hal may have also possibly watched the Entertainment (he recollects several details of the tape)either when he was young or even instead of taking DMZ

I fucking wish they would release the original edition of the work that wasn't cut down by a third

you can see here the manuscript actually opens with the Brando garage scene

I read it twice in Grade 9

I wish the book did more with Kate. She's the most compelling character and the book just forgets about her. Was it too real for DFW to write about her miter it what? ( the part about her depression is basically a suicide note).

Because it's fun and he hated brainlets.

try as he did he couldn't

Holy fuck, just realized that Orin might actually be Mario's father, and not the presumed Charles Tavis... Don't really remember the ages though, but I feel like there have been cases where a 10-13 year old boy impregnated someone.